Uncle Tony's response to Direct Connection

-
And that's the problem I have too, is he claims to build on a budget, but pushing out junk like that and "reusing" bearings, rings etc is where anyone with half a brain would stop and realize that's not something you do.

When we build our cars the way we want them, its going to cost some cash, this building from scrap and hoping it works is not how he should be leading the car community. He may talk trash all the time about the motor trend shows, but they are showing you what to use to build such and showing numbers. Things Tony lacks.

Both are click baters and both live I Tennessee.

LMAO

Everything about how he does things all made sense when he mentioned a while back that he dropped out of school at 17 and just worked on cars the rest of his life. His approach is just never that well thought-out and he rarely considers any backup plans. And he doesn't stay focused like some have mentioned. It's like he's trying to prove something to the world but every time he fails he chalks it up to being on a budget or some other lame excuse and just jumps to some other incomplete project. He still thinks like a 17-year-old IMO.

@replicaracer43 I started watching that "build" video then stopped after a few minutes when he showed the whole boring .010" over (WITH A HAND-HONE) and measuring taper with a used ring... for f**k's sakes man that engine is gonna run like garbage and blow up like all his others and he'll end up spending way more to build a second engine than if he just took the damn thing to a machine shop and paid a few hundred bucks for an overbore and hone. There's a reason REAL racers try to minimize piston-to-wall clearance; doing that hack stuff is for your old-*** worn truck engine that you just need to keep going for another year or 2 while you save up for a new engine, not a performance build for a racing project!

Sorry I had a stressful day at work lol, rant over...

LMAO

Everything about how he does things all made sense when he mentioned a while back that he dropped out of school at 17 and just worked on cars the rest of his life. His approach is just never that well thought-out and he rarely considers any backup plans. And he doesn't stay focused like some have mentioned. It's like he's trying to prove something to the world but every time he fails he chalks it up to being on a budget or some other lame excuse and just jumps to some other incomplete project. He still thinks like a 17-year-old IMO.

@replicaracer43 I started watching that "build" video then stopped after a few minutes when he showed the whole boring .010" over (WITH A HAND-HONE) and measuring taper with a used ring... for f**k's sakes man that engine is gonna run like garbage and blow up like all his others and he'll end up spending way more to build a second engine than if he just took the damn thing to a machine shop and paid a few hundred bucks for an overbore and hone. There's a reason REAL racers try to minimize piston-to-wall clearance; doing that hack stuff is for your old-*** worn truck engine that you just need to keep going for another year or 2 while you save up for a new engine, not a performance build for a racing project!

Sorry I had a stressful day at work lol, rant over...
Couldn't of said it better!

I like watching the hack work and his rants. It's entertaining.
I think of his channel as a less scripted/cheesy roadkill that has good tips and instructional stuff sometimes.

I like the "associated" channels like Unitymotorsportsgarage and David Vizards channel.

Some of Tony's projects are badass (like the '67 Charger, and both his RR's.
But I can't really get behind stuff like the Holey Dart and the truck frame Valiant.

The road runners are gutless cars that he never does anything to. If he did something with them id bet he would get more views. I was interested when he was working on that GTX but after he said he used a mallet to tap that new shaft that was already tight going in, I said this guy is the biggest idiot and if I was the guy that had spent all that money on that hemi short block to have some idiot almost ruin it I would have pulled my car out of there.

He was trying to use his hack lack of skill on someone that just spent a ton of money on aachine shop that does things right for a living only to most get it f'ed up....

Kind of surprised... don't like the content, don't click on it. Easy. Save the frustration. Certainly, there is more to worry about than a guy on youtube talking about cars LOL Nobody paid a fee...

Last edited:
There sure is a problem. When crap content comes out and teaches things the wrong way. I like your videos 318, but this guy is the king of doing everything the wrong way.

Kind of surprised... don't like the content, don't click on it. Easy. Save the frustration. Certainly, there is more to worry about than a guy on youtube talking about cars LOL Nobody paid a fee...
I think your kinda missing the point of this discussion. I personally try to point people in the direction to HELP them, and I will point out the ways NOT to do something also, because this is a hobby, but it can be expensive, and it gets worse if your taught the wrong way from the beginning. Your channel I enjoy, and it has good content, and numerous times I have directed people to your channel....but UTG? that's a channel for what NOT to do.

I think your kinda missing the point of this discussion. I personally try to point people in the direction to HELP them, and I will point out the ways NOT to do something also, because this is a hobby, but it can be expensive, and it gets worse if your taught the wrong way from the beginning. Your channel I enjoy, and it has good content, and numerous times I have directed people to your channel....but UTG? that's a channel for what NOT to do.
Exactly this is the point I'm trying to make, if I was starting this a couple years ago and the first thing I searched up was how to rebuild a Chrysler motor and learned off of this guy I guarantee you that I would have been wasting more money trying to build my engine by doing things the wrong way, these are people that like mentioned above you do not want to have on YouTube. I personally have learned a lot of information off of other Youtubers with informative videos the problem is this guy is flooding YouTube with a bunch of incorrect information. Not to mention like this post was originally talking about he is trying to ruin the reputation of direct connection because he's all pissed off that he got played. I have some of the old direct connection manuals and even though that it is old information it is still more informative than the crap that he pushes these days.

I think we all get the point, a lot of you think UTG is a hack, why keep going on and on about it.
Probably because this is a public car forum, and we like to discuss things? And hopefully keep new guys from learning improper and dangerous methods....consider this a "public service" "the more you know"

You can only discuss something to a certain point, and you guys are making the same point over and over again. We get it.

Mopar is late to the game, Chevy had the volt, ford had the escape Hybrid 16 years ago. These EVs are being pushed by the Govt. Mopar has to play ball, if anything they've held out on not doing EVs the longest.
Toyota and Honda holding out as well. Honda has the E which just in the last year came out in European. My son in the summer just graduated the Honda/Acura PACT factory program with an AAS degree. He worked a Honda dealership a couple years and in his 2nd year at an Acura one. My hope is for him to get his BS 4-year Auto degree at SIU next year. He was originally accepted in MOPAR's CAP factory program, but with FCA uncertainty I told him Honda was a better choice.
He originally wanted to work on the HP vehicles (lol can't blame him). He hates their lug studs lol.

Toyota and Honda holding out as well. Honda has the E which just in the last year came out in European. My son in the summer just graduated the Honda/Acura PACT factory program with an AAS degree. He worked a Honda dealership a couple years and in his 2nd year at an Acura one. My hope is for him to get his BS 4-year Auto degree at SIU next year. He was originally accepted in MOPAR's CAP factory program, but with FCA uncertainty I told him Honda was a better choice.
He originally wanted to work on the HP vehicles (lol can't blame him). He hates their lug studs lol.
How are Toyota and Honda "holding out?" They were among the first car makers to have electric vehicles with the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight, which both came out over 20 years ago.

How are Toyota and Honda "holding out?" They were among the first car makers to have electric vehicles with the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight, which both came out over 20 years ago.
Holding out as going full EVs both the Insight and Prius were Hybrid models, but I think Toyota might have on full EV model now, but I am not sure. I'm not a Toyota fan lol... They were the first to offer Hybrid solutions, which I am for, but not a full plug-in EV solution such as Tesla across the board. Dodge is supposedly going full EV although one Dodge model was not disclosed as total electric. Honda and Toyota have not done that yet. Toyota is actually backing a future hydrogen model, I but don't see that happening in near future.
EVs are just so goofy looking IMO - Model 3, Prius. The Honda Clarity and Insight are somewhat normal looking.

Last edited:
Actually, Toyota announced the BZ4X, and Honda will have the Prologue. Both fully electric.

Actually, Toyota announced the BZ4X, and Honda will have the Prologue. Both fully electric.
Looks like 2024 for the Prologue... but that is an SUV, but I don't do SUVs. The Honda E is cool and would work for my wife as a daily commuter. I am going to wait to see what Honda does mainstream for their cars. I'd love to get a Challenger R/T or Charger before there gone, but I have my '73 Dart Sport 340.

Curious if DC plate is a repop?

20211204_134540[1].jpg

20211204_134555[1].jpg

-
Back