Under hoist stands

-

wireweld

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could support the car on 4 tall stands when lifted up on the hoist? I want to check pinion angle. I would put 2 under rear axle and 2 up front on the frame.
Thank you for any advise.

Sounds unsafe. Do it on the floor. Also, tremec jas an app for smart phones that will help you calculate pinion angle. It makes your phone an angle finder too.

I was wondering if I could support the car on 4 tall stands when lifted up on the hoist? I want to check pinion angle. I would put 2 under rear axle and 2 up front on the frame.
Thank you for any advise.
by tall stands do you mean this style? and hoist - do you mean car lift? I have seen it done on a lift with a GOOD set of stands - - but that lift sure better be level. Personally, I wouldn't do it - too much can go wrong.
46220_2000x2000.jpg

The single post stands are a helper and not a full support. The tripod stands are quite stable. They should (I say should) support a car but I don't think I would.

46208_400x400.jpg

sun-6809.gif

If they are 1500# capacity 4 of them should support a 3000# car. And yes, the hoist should be within a inch. You could use jack stands and a creeper. I don't like the 3 ton stands. Too small of a base. The 6 ton stands are much safer and stable. The 10 ton stands are overkill but better than getting yourself killed.

Just a casual observance here. Just to check pinion angle? This little project will cost you hundreds even if you have a hoist. I would talk to a alignment or muffler shop in your area that has a drive on hoist. For a few bucks you could drive on, check it and be on your way.

Just a casual observance here. Just to check pinion angle? This little project will cost you hundreds even if you have a hoist. I would talk to a alignment or muffler shop in your area that has a drive on hoist. For a few bucks you could drive on, check it and be on your way.
Tried this. No go. Liability I was told.

Those creep US insurance companies really seem to have a lot of shops by the balls don't they?
Go to a performance/race shop. They would know either how to do it for you or think it won't be such a deal.

Aren't they any DIY shops in town with normal 4-post carlifts?

Those creep US insurance companies really seem to have a lot of shops by the balls don't they?
Go to a performance/race shop. They would know either how to do it for you or think it won't be such a deal.

Aren't they any DIY shops in town with normal 4-post carlifts?
ur car needs to be setting on all 4 wheels anyway !

Would it work to use the tripods and lower the car to take the weight off hoist but leave hoist under car as a safety device? Just long enough to check pinion angle.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE MOST DANGEROUS THING YOU COULD EVER CREATE IN A SHOP SITUATION DO NOT DO NOT DO ................NOT!!! Do this!!!

LiftFailure.jpg

78Corvettefail.jpg

-
Back