Under my rubber mat??

-

Ruger64

Reaction score
I don't have factory carpet..."yet". I have the factory rubber mat.
On my 71 Valiant. I was running speaker wires the to the back the other day. Well, I removed my kick panel, and my rocker cover...etc.
The body Side behind kick panel nice and clean.
But under the factory rubber mat, is insulation. It was a bit damp.
And I see it made some surface rust. I will be removing the insulation this weekend, and wire wheeling and using rustoleum, so things don't get out of control.....Still nice and solid.
I don't want to replace with factory insulation, seems like a moisture holder.
I will re-use my factory rubber until I get carpet.
Any suggestions on what to do? I would like to put something under it, and/or under the carpet when I get it. What are you guys using??

Take a look at some of the insulation wrap material found at Lowe's or Home Depot. It looks like bubble wrap sandwiched between foil on each side. Provides both sound and heat insulation, and it's very reasonably priced. It comes in various widths and cuts easily with scissors.

Take a look at some of the insulation wrap material found at Lowe's or Home Depot. It looks like bubble wrap sandwiched between foil on each side. Provides both sound and heat insulation, and it's very reasonably priced. It comes in various widths and cuts easily with scissors.
Thanks. I am trying to think what your talking about. I can't picture it.

You've seen (and probably popped) packing material called bubble wrap. This stuff looks a lot like bubble wrap, but both surfaces are aluminum foil. It comes in a roll either 12" or 24" wide.

I would rather have something that would sponge the water off the metal rather than trap it there. The very best thing to do is find and fix the leak.

I have a red rug kit for a 67 4 door Dart(Valiant) new in the box never opened.
If it is something that you can use, PM me.

IF you are seeing surface rust in the least, I would put some rust neutralizer on it and then paint it. You only need the neutralizer where you see signs of rust.

Find and fix the leak first, than dry out the floor boards, remove lose rust, and coat with rust encapsulating coating such as POR-15 on rusted surfaces only. This will stop further corrosion of floor metal, moisture proof the surface, and provide a good clean attachment surface for installing carpet.

Possible leak points to look for: wiper pivot at base of windshield; windshield gasket; air box, crawl, and vents from perforation or buildup of plant debris; holes or poorly sealed seams in floor pans; at seat bolt down points, and the hole here headlight dimmer sticks through rubber mat that can let melting snow penetrate padding, and small holes in rubber mat where one show heal rests a base of accelerator.

Often a perforated mat and a window left open during rain will be enough to soak padding, and moisture trapped under rubber will not evaporate for a very long time producing a moldy old car stink that will never go away until padding is replaced & both sides of mat are washed with soap & water.

Me, a convertible guy, accustomed to wet floors for 35 years.

Hey Tony,
In my Scamp, I removed the carpet which was in good shape, and completely removed all that sound deadener / insulation crap. It was somewhat damp. I wire wheeled the floor, used endrust on the surface rust, then painted the floor with Rustoleum. I re-installed the carpet.
(I will definately be at the Irwin cruise this Saturday....)

the vinyl mat itself may be the problem. It will trap moisture that condenses under it because the moisture can't vaporize through it. You may still have a leak, but you don't necessarily need one with this stuff. L8r

I have a red rug kit for a 67 4 door Dart(Valiant) new in the box never opened.
If it is something that you can use, PM me.

Gonna send you a pm. I am converting to red interior. That was odd that you asked...LOL Would 67 be the same kit as a 71?

IF you are seeing surface rust in the least, I would put some rust neutralizer on it and then paint it. You only need the neutralizer where you see signs of rust.

I did get some type of rust treatment to put on first. I just cant remember the name. my cousin restores cars, and gave me a bottle.

Ohhhh, Okay. I see now what it is. Thank you!

Hey Tony,
In my Scamp, I removed the carpet which was in good shape, and completely removed all that sound deadener / insulation crap. It was somewhat damp. I wire wheeled the floor, used endrust on the surface rust, then painted the floor with Rustoleum. I re-installed the carpet.
(I will definately be at the Irwin cruise this Saturday....)

Mine is damp. There was a leak, that is now fixed. The rubber defiantely don't help. I have a qt. of black rustoleum on hand and ready to go. Going to pull my seat out this weekend! Great seeing you at the cruise!!
Going to check behind my back seat too, for my build sheet. I know it has to be there. There was other original paperwork under my back "bottom" seat. Leak test and some other metal tab with numbers. This car was never apart or messed with.

-
Back