Unexpected find, not an A-body though.

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
My wife and I were walking through a salvage yard yesterday morning, and came across this near the very back. Needless to say I was surprised, cause I didn't think we had anything like this in our salvage yards. Least of all in this good of condition. It can't have been here very long. I know it's missing a LOT of trim, but it is still pretty cool. Unfortunately, the hood latch was rusted so we couldn't get any pics of the powerplant, but front what we could see... well... did they put slants in Fury's? Cause that's what it looked like. Anyway, enough jawing, on to the car ****! (Would this be car granny ****?)

Edit: After further research, and some hints from other users, I have discovered that this is a Belvedere and not a Fury. The mistake was purely mine. Thanks for the info everyone!

Attachments

• front.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 874
  • driverside.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 877
  • rear.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 866
  • interior1.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 874
  • interior3.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 881
  • interior-rear.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 899
Looks alot like my Dads 60 Belvedere, minus the fins,...that had a wide block 318..

Poly LA engines and big blocks. Mostly big blocks. Are you going to buy it? looks very salvagable

Poly LA engines and big blocks. Mostly big blocks. Are you going to buy it? looks very salvagable

My wife and her best friend Michele are going back out there tomorrow. Michele is friends with the owner of the yard and she's going to see what kind of deal she can work out for me. I'm going to have my wife take a magnet with her to check the body for filler. I mean, this is Central IL. What are the chances this is all metal and no bondo somewhere? I think if I do get it, I'm going to start on the drivetrain and interior. Make sure she runs and is safe (and comfortable) to drive. I think the exterior looks pretty cool and I'll probably just leave it as is for now. Wish me luck! Just out of curiosity, would this be a B-body or ? From what the B-body forum states, the Fury was a B-Body starting in 62. This is a 61. Where would this fall?

Yes it can have a /six Belvedere...last year of The Forward Look cars

Yes it can have a /six Belvedere...last year of The Forward Look cars

I got to looking a little closer, and you are correct. This is not a Fury, this is a Belvedere. Not much difference, but they are there if you know what to look for. I did not. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

It could very well have a slant, since it's a low trim level and looks to be a low optioned model with the manual on the column. If not it could be the 'wideblock' 318. The c-body designation did not come along until 1965, it is simply a full-size Plymouth, from what I understand....

I think the next time I go out there I'm going to have to take some PB Blaster and see if I can get the hood up. Only way to tell for sure. Thanks for all the info, everyone. As I said before, wish me luck!

That would make a great looking cruiser!....good luck with getting it home. Someone needs to save it

No idea what you need to register it in your State but whatever it is make sure you get it. Where I am it's virtually impossible to get it on the road if you didn't get the registration from the owner.

Cool ride though :burnout:

Saw one of those in a junkyard in Wisconsin last weekend, let me know if you get it and I will tell you where the yard is so you can get some parts!

That has potential to be a very cool driver for not a bunch of dough. Exner was completely out of his freakin' mind by this point in history, I love it. It sure could be a slant, but if it landed in my lap, an LA 318/360 and an OD 4 speed would go in it, cheese-ball the interior together, make it stop and steer, and drive! I sure hope the tail lights are in the trunk, you can't exactly stop by the local dealership and order 'em up.

Really neat car and great ideas in this thread. I like the survivor look, and a 413 would also be very cool in that car. Wouldn't that be a fairly heavy car? I like the idea of BB torque in the bigger mopars, but I am sure whatever you do will make it a fun ride.

Well, I have some bad news. I went to talk to the owner of the yard, and he said that the car has a junk title. It has been sitting there for 9 years, and that in the Great State of Illinois (you know, the one where the governors make the license plates) it is nearly impossibly to get a car out of the junk yard once it gets that kind of title. :wack:I know the IL DMV website shows the process to do it but you have to have a rebuilder's license to buy it, and then once it is road worthy, you have to pass a safety inspection. As much as I would love to take on the challenge, I think I'll just be a little more patient and wait for my Fish. Thank you to everyone for the ideas. Who knows, maybe another Belvedere (or even a Fury) will drop into my lap again in the future. If there is anybody around the Central IL area with a rebuilder's license that would like to take this on, PM me and I'll give you the details on where the car is at.

Well, I have some bad news. I went to talk to the owner of the yard, and he said that the car has a junk title. It has been sitting there for 9 years, and that in the Great State of Illinois (you know, the one where the governors make the license plates) it is nearly impossibly to get a car out of the junk yard once it gets that kind of title. :wack:I know the IL DMV website shows the process to do it but you have to have a rebuilder's license to buy it, and then once it is road worthy, you have to pass a safety inspection. As much as I would love to take on the challenge, I think I'll just be a little more patient and wait for my Fish. Thank you to everyone for the ideas. Who knows, maybe another Belvedere (or even a Fury) will drop into my lap again in the future. If there is anybody around the Central IL area with a rebuilder's license that would like to take this on, PM me and I'll give you the details on where the car is at.
What kind of price for the car? Maybe someone from a different state can save it.

I wonder if it would work to have someone from out of state buy it, title it, then sell it to someone in state. I was looking at a 48 Plymouth (in South Dakota)in the early 90's, no title, who knows how many people had possesion of it, asked at the court house how one would get a title, gave me a zeroxed form with blank for car make, model, vin, sellers name, address, buyers name and address and signatures lines for both, get it notarized and turn it in, then they would do a search to check if it is stolen, they said on cars that old that something vary rarely turns up. Would assume a salvage yard would be about the same here.
Looking at the back of that car, to me it would look neat with either flush mount (street rod) or some 50 Pontiac (I think that is the year)taillights mount in the area below the fins, then shave and fill any holes from the original taillights.

I don't remember if that is a unibody or not. If it isn't there is a simple way to acquire it. Buy the body without the chassis. Next week buy the chassis. By doing that you are not buying a car but parts of a car.

Look on the bright side...if you had bought it, life would've imitated art...

Shame on the title. Its strange to me that it couldnt be registered under a salvage title.

-
Back