Unfired Rebuild Compression?

-

318duster73

The OTHER village idiot
Reaction score
What would be a "normal" reading for an unfired, stock-ish 360? I've got some numbers here that worry me just a bit.

No overbore, stock pistons, heads milled enough to run well on a 318.

Got about 40 psi on 1&2, and 45 on the rest.

Just wondering if it's the unfired head gaskets...

you are spinning over a unfired engine for a compression test?

Had it sitting on the stand, and was curious - pulled out my compression gauge and a wrench and took a peek. Never heard of it being done, never done it before, figured hey, why not?

One thing that's all wrong is that the lifters aren't even pumped up nor valves opening! (at least not enough). Did you crank it over with a starter motor, of course, right?? Not a wrench? LOL

Psh, I'm just so amazing that I can pull cord start a 14:1 compression V-12! :tard:

Yeah, I know, I'm a little bit retarded today... It's been a long day, and I've been a little worried about the rings on this supposedly freshly rebuilt 360 block since I got it.. But hey, I AM insane, paranoid, and slightly retarded in general, so who could blame me, right? :banghead:

Keep it up and you will end up ruining those rings you are so concerned about.
They have not even got a chance to seat to the cylinder wall yet.

Just sayin

The bottom end is supposed to have a couple hours of run time on it already, What I've been worried about is whether he actually replaced them like he claims to have.

But, when I do start it, I have no room to complain about bad rings, because I (kind of) trust the guy I got it from, so I didn't check for myself. Since all I really have invested in this is a set of gaskets(I already had everything else, just needed the bottom end) and time, if it fails epically, hey, we tried, now let's bore it .030 over with domed pistons and a bigger cam. If it runs just fine, well, I get to drive my Duster again. Either way, I feel like I'm coming out on top. Of something... I'm not sure what, though.

The bottom end is supposed to have a couple hours of run time on it already, What I've been worried about is whether he actually replaced them like he claims to have.

But, when I do start it, I have no room to complain about bad rings, because I (kind of) trust the guy I got it from, so I didn't check for myself. Since all I really have invested in this is a set of gaskets(I already had everything else, just needed the bottom end) and time, if it fails epically, hey, we tried, now let's bore it .030 over with domed pistons and a bigger cam. If it runs just fine, well, I get to drive my Duster again. Either way, I feel like I'm coming out on top. Of something... I'm not sure what, though.

Ah, ok.

Dude your kinda hard to follow but it sounds like you installed the heads? If so when they were off were the cylinders freshly honed? If not I'd suspect he either didn't replace the rings or didn't do it right.

The other thing, if this is a new flat tappet cam, requiring break in, you should not be needlessly turning the engine over until fireup, except for oiling, timing, etc

"Bottom end" meaning the camshaft too? If the engine's got "a couple hours on it" then the cam break in (or destruction) has already been taken care of. If you trust the guy (as opposed to "sort of trust") this should be a slam dunk. If you don't trust the guy, eitehr give it back and get money back, or get everything he told you in writing and signed by him.

Check it after some break in "run" time and don't forget to hold the carb wide open to let in air.

-
Back