unibody question

-

zigs

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 68 Cuda SS. He wants to do a full resto. Has anyone seperated the body from the frame . If so how was it done. Any info would be appriciated, also any does and don'ts.

do you mean remove the frame rails? Im confused. and SS meaning formula S?

my brain hurts

Cuda SS? Seperated? Say what? Illiterate and confused!

In case your serious the car you are attempting to discuss is a unibody product which means it has no frame only front and rear sub-frame assemblies and mopar never made any Cuda SS products that I am aware of which is the reason my colleagues are being so obtuse, don't take it personal

drill out all the spot welds and separate the frame rails from the floor pan.
if not a factory frame, like a rear-halved car, cut them out with your favorite tool of destruction.

Actually a really keen friend of mine daughter's father did just that. .. he drilled out the spot welds like abdywgn but no cutting up that I know up...mind you, it is still waiting to be put back together.

A friend of mine has a 68 Cuda SS. He wants to do a full resto. Has anyone seperated the body from the frame . If so how was it done. Any info would be appriciated, also any does and don'ts.

there is no "frame" to speak of... you just need to install frame connectors and maybe a cage and thats it...

then it can go on the rotisserie for the resto

Cuda SS? Seperated? Say what? Illiterate and confused!

Sorry didn't mean to stroke anybody out ,The double S was a type O.
He has a formula S cuda. He wants to put it on a rotisserie. No I didn't take it personal I was just passing on a question.

As you've gleaned from above, there is no separate frame. Nor is there a removable stub front frame. Rotisserie attaches to the fron frame rail at the K-member mountings, and to the rear at the bumper attachment points.

Grant

As you've gleaned from above, there is no separate frame. Nor is there a removable stub front frame. Rotisserie attaches to the fron frame rail at the K-member mountings, and to the rear at the bumper attachment points.

Grant

Thanks thats what I was looking for.

He could just prop the thing up on some rocks....I have more than enough for him....

As far as do's and don'ts....this is a don't

Your thinking of GM cars where they have separate frames and bodies.....maybe you saw it on an episode of Muscle Car.....

Attach it to the rotissorie with the frame rails still attached to the body.

If you removed the frame rails, what you will have (after 50 hours of work) is a crumpled and distorted body.

We just did a Charger, stripped. Bolted to the front subframe, were the bumper brackets went; used the rear bumper holes thru the trunk.

He could just prop the thing up on some rocks....I have more than enough for him....

I suggested that to him also and is probably what he will do. Hes got a really straight 68 no rust. Only thing missing is the 340. Bought it in mid 70's from a guy that was racing it. Before he sold it he pulled the 340 and put a 318 in it. Thanks for the "good answers".

-
Back