Unreal intake manifold cost

-
Exactly, and if you find a good deal locally have the money in your pocket and your keys in your hand
Have the funds to do so at a moment's notice. I don't think that Missouri is as plentiful with cars and parts as it once was.

Have the funds to do so at a moment's notice. I don't think that Missouri is as plentiful with cars and parts as it once was.
Nowhere is anymore, and some people believe what they’re selling is way more valuable than it is but there’s still deals to be had, you just gotta work at it. I’ve always felt whatever you’re selling is only worth what people will pay you for it, however that sword cuts both ways.

Something to keep in mind as well: anything advertised online is "worth" more than something that isn't. It's all about the size of the market competing for the deal. When I say worth in this context, I mean the asking price will be higher.

You can find lots of good prices on parts with personal sales. You just gotta find the seller before they're looking to advertise to a larger buying pool. Find car clubs, race tracks, old guys fishing from the local docks, and even old mechanic shops and try make some friends. Bring some beers or other goodies their way when you show up, and it doesn't often take long to start getting leads.

At this point I'm just gonna wait for metal 3D printing technology to get to the point where we don't need castings anymore. It's pretty close maybe 2-4 years out? The tech is there it's just still a bit too expensive for the common man. And intake manifolds would be easy because they don't have moving parts and aren't under much stress. People are already 3D-printing custom plastic intake manifolds for EFI applications.

At this point I'm just gonna wait for metal 3D printing technology to get to the point where we don't need castings anymore. It's pretty close maybe 2-4 years out? The tech is there it's just still a bit too expensive for the common man. And intake manifolds would be easy because they don't have moving parts and aren't under much stress. People are already 3D-printing custom plastic intake manifolds for EFI applications.
I know nothing about 3D printing, but the process is really interesting to me. Could you answer these questions that immediately come to my mind?

1. In metal 3D printing, is there welding involved? Otherwise, how is the filler (if that's even the word) deposited?
2. How does one go about creating a map or file for a 3D-printed manifold?
3.Could someone do copies of already produced manifolds without risk of copyright infringement?

I know nothing about 3D printing, but the process is really interesting to me. Could you answer these questions that immediately come to my mind?

1. In metal 3D printing, is there welding involved? Otherwise, how is the filler (if that's even the word) deposited?
2. How does one go about creating a map or file for a 3D-printed manifold?
3.Could someone do copies of already produced manifolds without risk of copyright infringement?

I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

1. I thought I knew the answer to the first question but I'm not actually sure I'd recommend searching YouTube on how metal 3D printing works there's tons of content about it and IIRC multiple methods of how the metal gets deposited. Oak Ridge National Labs are putting a ton of R&D into the technology, when I visited their museum a few years back they had a 'rough' (unmachined) 3D-printed aluminum cylinder head for some kind of DOHC 4-cylinder car engine.

2. Just like plastic 3D printing you create a 3D model in a program like SolidWorks then "translate" that file into what is essential CAM software (like used for CNC milling/lathing machines) specific for 3D printing.

3. That's a tough one to answer for sure but if you aren't trying to make a business selling them I imagine companies would have a REALLY hard time trying to enforce or even claim copyright infringement especially if the manifold you make has no company logos or brand markings on them. It's just a plenum and a bunch of tubes in a fancy configuration you can't really patent or copyright that.

The pandemic and rebounding economy are huge factors here. It’s a huge part of inflation as demand far outstrips supply.

The other thing that was happening anyway is that we’re losing our edge when it comes to benefiting from China’s labor and environmental practices. As they tighten up their costs, compete for resources, etc, things will continue go down hill.

Is capitalism one entity? If so, it seems a little weird to ascribe a conscious will upon it.

I hope you’re onto something here. Since 3D printing started becoming accessible a decade or so back, there have been huge hopes pinned on what can be done. So far, most people have some crummy looking business card holders and that’s about it. It is used in some high tech applications of course but it doesn’t seem to have fulfilled its promise yet.

Jay Leno has been advocating for 3D printing car parts for a long time and he has shared some spectacular examples. The problem is that he’s Jay Leno and he can afford to invest $15k of an engineer’s time to make a valve cover for a 1949 Packard or whatever.

3-d printing has evolved much more than you think.
Aircraft wing tips are pretty much all 3-d printed, on the stuff my company builds.
Plus it is quick, write the program, turn the printer on and walk away until the part is done.

When you’re on a tight budget you have to be diligent about scouring your local resources, CL, OfferUp, etc. as well as hunting online. I like to build on a budget too, and lately I’ve been looking into 318 ‘torque builds’ that may net ‘only’ 300hp but 450+tq - by raising CR, good intake, carb and exhaust, mild porting and the right cam. That’s the goal anyway...
It may only be good for 5000–5500 RPM, but it’s plenty for a street car and won’t break the bank.
I don't think I have ever seen a naturally aspirated 318 that made 450 lb-ft. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I don't think it is a realistic goal.

3d printing metal parts, especially manifolds, would still require a lot of machining to finish the part properly. Porosity is still a problem too, especially in aluminum.

The process in metal is called selective laser sintering, and it's not cheap. It's a lot farther off than 4 years to making production parts too.

I've seen custom modelled manifolds printed, and they work, but you're talking several thousand dollars for a log type manifold for a straight 6 type engine.

3d printing requires specialized metal powder for this process. It costs more than casting stock does. It will never be cheaper to print a part. The only reason to do it is super low volume (aircraft, typically) or geometry which can't be made another way. There's plenty of ways to make manifolds, no reason to reinvent the horse here..

It would be far more economical to print a wax pattern and have it cast than it will ever be to print it.

3. That's a tough one to answer for sure but if you aren't trying to make a business selling them I imagine companies would have a REALLY hard time trying to enforce or even claim copyright infringement especially if the manifold you make has no company logos or brand markings on them. It's just a plenum and a bunch of tubes in a fancy configuration you can't really patent or copyright that.

It's very possible to get sued for copying a part. It's not just copyright and patents. Even for personal use items. It's not common, but still a risk.

Besides, why copy a manifold when we all know most of them need tweaked to work best on a given engine? Would be far better to design any new manifold, especially small qty stuff, with geometry that's closer to what one actually wants.

Why knock off a performer when you could do an LA pattern pro dominator tunnel ram?

I paid $125 for a brand new 383 Holley Street Dominator in 1980.
Could have got the package deal with choice of Holley or Carter carburetor and air cleaner for $250.
Paid 99 bucks for the DC electronic ignition conversion kit around the same time.
Times have changed
42 years ago, man....

I could pack a mold, set the cores and pour the aluminum a heck of a lot faster than a 3d printer could make one.

My point?
Posting some price you paid 42 years ago really does not compare to today's going rate.

I don't think I have ever seen a naturally aspirated 318 that made 450 lb-ft. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I don't think it is a realistic goal.
Yeah you’re probably right, 450 for an NA 318 isn’t realistic, especially for a budget build street motor but depending on your wallet there is this:

I bought my first LD340 in about 1976 for $80. I have 3 now purchased on speculation. Now may be the time to unload! And no, I will not sell you one for $80, so don't ask.

I just looked up the price of a edelbrock performer intake for a sbm and it was like $390, I'm not paying that for a intake manifold. Found a used one for $300, that's worth a $150
Prices for metal have gone up. Mostly due to the government injecting tons of money into the economy via Stimulus. When there is more money than products the price goes up. $700 stimulus check equals gas price increase of $ 0.20 the next day. And it gets sucked out. Steel prices have had surcharges of up to $ 0.80 per pound. Sam with aluminum. And as prices go up, people demand salary increases which adds to costs. Some people like to be the 1st owner of car parts, some like to be the last. best wishe.

Electrics pay no fuel taxes. They will possibly be charged for mileage in the future. Us gas users will be paying high gas taxes to make up the losses of electrics. Life goes on regardless.
Hobbies are expensive. Buy your intake and keep going.

At $280.95 Shipped, just grab a Weiand Action Plus and roll.
ED38A6BB-14A1-4443-A8B8-26AD80622E32.png

How does the Action Plus compare to the Eddy RPM Air Gap?
I ran the Weiand on my stroker and then switched to the AG, I gained some in the 60’, 330’ ,1/8, 1/4 ET and overall MPH. I’ll have to check my time slips to see. Around on the street honestly between blowing the tires off with either and hot rodding around I can’t say there was much if any seat of pants difference. Track? Yes (via time slips)

-
Back