unwanted 69 340, what would you do??

-
Sell it as a whole engine. Otherwise, you might end up with a bunch of unwanted parts lounging around.

myself I'd keep it. too many, sure wish I didn't sell the............. over the years!

That should be an "H".

I went out to the garage and looked again at the pan rail number it is as follows. LM23P B231527. The casting date is 9.11.68 The blank space between the P and B must be a 9 but can not be read. This number decodes as.

L- Dart
M- medium
23- 2 door hardtop
P- 340 HP engine
9- 1969 model year
B- Hamtramck, Michigan
231527- vehicle sequence number

Also, on the pad below the drivers side head reads EW340P26 500539. This stamping is not good. I had to guess at some of it.

Russ

Hi all,

I just changed directions with my 68 Barracuda project by going with a 408 rather than using the 69 340 that was in my car since I first bought it. Now I have a 340 that is not needed so it must go. I want to sell it in order to offset some of the cash spent on the 408. My question is would I do better by selling it part by part or as a complete carb to pan engine. This 340 is all stock except for carb and intake, was running well when removed from my car about 3 or 4 years ago. It has a good set of X-heads that are currently off and being inspected. The block is standard bore with stock forged crank/rotating assembly 10.5 CR.

What would you do??????

Russ

Russ,

I swear we must have been separated at birth!! That is the EXACT scenario that I am going through right now. I have a 340 in my Dart right now that I will need to get rid of as soon as my 408 is complete.

I am going to try and sell it whole as a rebuildable core. If that doesn't work I am going to break it down into pieces and sell them individually. Mine is a 68 block, and it has X heads. Unfortunately, someone has been inside the engine before because it has the later cast crank. Luckily, I have room where I can sit a 340 block and X heads and wait until I find a buyer.

Brian

E = 1969
W = windsor
P = premium fuel
2650 = Date assembled 2650 is Tuesday, October 29, 1968
0539 = the 539th engine built on that day

I went out to the garage and looked again at the pan rail number it is as follows. LM23P B231527. The casting date is 9.11.68 The blank space between the P and B must be a 9 but can not be read. This number decodes as.

L- Dart
M- medium
23- 2 door hardtop
P- 340 HP engine
9- 1969 model year
B- Hamtramck, Michigan
231527- vehicle sequence number

Also, on the pad below the drivers side head reads EW340P26 500539. This stamping is not good. I had to guess at some of it.

Russ

Cool. It is a shame it isn't the original engine for your car.

We get it from the 11 digit VIN he posted. I thought he was just giving the partial vin as I have seen many times. The B comes up as a /6 and the car comes up as a 1972 Dodge Dart. I am a Barracuda person so I went off what he posted and corrected. No big deal if it is wrong because I am sure he will fix it when he gets a chance.

Based off what was posted above you should have the full 13 digit VIN stamped on it.

Full 13 digit vins ( LM23P9B231527 ) were stamped on motors and trans until mid year '69 build (Jan '69). Starting Jan '69 only the last 8 digits were stamped ( 9B231527 )

We get it from the 11 digit VIN he posted. I thought he was just giving the partial vin as I have seen many times. The B comes up as a /6 and the car comes up as a 1972 Dodge Dart. I am a Barracuda person so I went off what he posted and corrected. No big deal if it is wrong because I am sure he will fix it when he gets a chance.

Based off what was posted above you should have the full 13 digit VIN stamped on it.

Bill, I have 2 340's in my shop and both only have the last 8 digits???

Well, I guess we beat the horse long enough. When the heads come back from the shop, I'll be posting it for sale as a complete engine. If it doesn't sell within a reasonable amount of time, then on to plan B.

Thanks to all who participated in this discussion.

Russ

I sold my one of my 340's innards and whatever was connected to the block for more cash than anyone wanted to pay for it complete and that's a fact. Let the games begin when you sell something no one can see the insides of until they pull it apart. I sold my U heads for a thousand bucks and the guy couldn't thank me enough. After advertising my Ed Hamburger W2 heads for years , someone actually knew what he wanted and what I had and gave me 2500. for them and here on FABO, I was told I could get maybe a grand, everyone want a deal, everyone wants to go fast and everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.. Don't be so quick to lose out on what you can get unless you're flat broke and you got six months to live... :)

That VIN belongs to a 1969 340 Swinger that was built around the first week of December 1968. What is the casting date on the block?? That is not a 1972 VIN.

That VIN belongs to a 1969 340 Swinger that was built around the first week of December 1968. What is the casting date on the block?? That is not a 1972 VIN.

Yes, the year was figured out and posted when he put up the correct vin. You will even find the exact day it was assembled in another post and it wasn't in December.

Did you read the thread? The casting date was also posted earlier.

Yes, the year was figured out and posted when he put up the correct vin. You will even find the exact day it was assembled in another post and it wasn't in December.

Did you read the thread? The casting date was also posted earlier.

If you didn't know, you quoted Frank that owns the GTS Registry so i'm very sure he knows what he's talking about!!!!
Yes the motor was assembled on 10/29/68, so it is very likely the Scheduled Production Date(SPD) of the car it went into was the first week of December. Generally dated parts/assemblies can be 3 months prior to the SPD of the car.

If you didn't know, you quoted Frank that owns the GTS Registry so i'm very sure he knows what he's talking about!!!!
Yes the motor was assembled on 10/29/68, so it is very likely the Scheduled Production Date(SPD) of the car it went into was the first week of December. Generally dated parts/assemblies can be 3 months prior to the SPD of the car.

You and Frank BOTH need to go back and read the WHOLE thread. He changed the info, it's not a 68 block...

Well right on on its definitely a 69 motor. I feel so bad for it though being unwanted and all lol.:crybaby:

You and Frank BOTH need to go back and read the WHOLE thread. He changed the info, it's not a 68 block...

YOU should PULL your HEAD out of YOUR BUTT and learn something!!!

The start of building '69 cars is Aug 1, 1968. Therefore if the block was assembled on 10/29/68 it is surely (99.9999%) for a '69 car that could very likely have a SPD the first week in December 1968................

You should go back and read the ENTIRE post several times so that ALL the information SINKS in!!!!!

I personally prefer to buy a complete engine - greasy and all the bolts still undisturbed. I don't like things being taken apart and inspected - especially is it was a runing engine because inevitable some little thing is lost or all the bolts not accounted for. That's just one of my quirks but IMO the value goes down at that point. With the amount of oddball builds going on now and the fact it's been torn down I see little value in keeping it together at this point. You should be able to get more for the sum of the parts than the whole.

I personally prefer to buy a complete engine - greasy and all the bolts still undisturbed. I don't like things being taken apart and inspected - especially is it was a runing engine because inevitable some little thing is lost or all the bolts not accounted for. That's just one of my quirks but IMO the value goes down at that point. With the amount of oddball builds going on now and the fact it's been torn down I see little value in keeping it together at this point. You should be able to get more for the sum of the parts than the whole.

This engine is not torn down.......The heads and intake are off of it for inspection. All parts (nuts, bolts ,etc) are safely stored. Short block is unmolested.

Russ

-
Back