UPDATE 71 dart swinger rot pics

-

71dodge

ADDICTED.
Reaction score
this is my 71 dart swinger i just pulled the vinyl top off of and the rot is pretty bad what do i do how do i fix it cAR.jpg

cAR.jpg

Find a donor car or make patch panels and weld them in. Whatever you do don't just fill them with filler.

Here is some of my work. dusted is correct, you want to cut out the old metal and weld in patches. Some filler is ok over the surface once the rust is gone. Treat any hard to reach areas with OSPHO.
I cut panels larger when possible and use the Eastwood flange vise grips to flange the patch to over lap on the underside.
My angle grinder died(good thing to, it was dangerous)so this is as far as I am on the roof seam.
It looks like Frankinstein becuase I cut my patch into pieces to fit it better and I needed to cut more rust out that I noticed.
Check out my thread: changing colors 71 dart 1 man home resto.

DSC00003 (Custom).JPG

DSC00006 (Custom).JPG

DSC00015 (Custom).JPG

DSC00009 (Custom).JPG

DSC00001 (Custom).JPG

Thats a nice replacement part you have there. I read somewhere Waggin is going to make the swap for you? If thats the case, you're in GREAT hands. Curt knows his stuff.

Keep at it!

George

Hey 71Dodge, look like the bottom cut is going to leave you still making patches and ditto on the dutchman panel, you may want to replace the dutchman too as they are not hard to come by and you will only benefit in the end. By the way, I spied something in your interior like mine. Whatch think, is it the same??
Chas

new car pics 054.JPG

your interior is the same but yours is in way better shape nice looking

-
Back