Upgrading Stock Alternator

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Ok this is a bit different. Im having a hard time swallowing the fact that a higher output alternator is $150 plus. So Im wondering if you can take a stock alternator and upgrade it to a higher amperage yourself? Are parts available to do this, etc....???

There are several issues, not the least of which is "what you started with," meaning the core, the core size and clearance (IE the "squareback" design was improved for low RPM)

You would "need to know" information you likely won't be able to "get" such as winding turns on the rotor and stator and what size wire to use.

And then of course you'll have to sit down and actually DO this. Sounds like fun to me...."not"

Del, I figured you would know the best on this.. I was curious is all. Sounds like a whole lot of work I dont want to do either. LOL

Used to be a common after-market upgrade that swapped internal parts, mainly the stationary coils. I recall J.C. Whitney sold them for years, so might turn up on ebay. Grandpa bought the kit, never installed, family cleaning out his basement. If you have a round-back alternator, swapping to a square-back is simple. You didn't tell us anything about your car.

I have a 71 Scamp with a 360, electronic ignition, square back alternator, although I have no idea the amperage of it. Adding a pair of electric fans, everything else is more or less stock. I do have a great electrical repair place that is close to me they repair starters and alternators. I was thinking of calling them and seeing what they thought.

That is a good idea; our local guy knows how to rebuild to upgraded GM alternators and probably Chrysler ones too; your local guy probably knows the tricks....if he is an older dude!

the standard gm alternator for the last 10 years is 105 amps ,find one in a scrap yard for 25 bucks go to your alt rebuilder and get a plug for it ,one wire goes to the ign wire from the regulator you don't use the other 3 and hook up the bat.wire your done. the best ones are from 88/96 pick up trucks. they require very little work to fit

the standard gm alternator for the last 10 years is 105 amps ,find one in a scrap yard for 25 bucks go to your alt rebuilder and get a plug for it ,one wire goes to the ign wire from the regulator you don't use the other 3 and hook up the bat.wire your done. the best ones are from 88/96 pick up trucks. they require very little work to fit

Uh.....huh.....and then you can sit there and watch the 50 year old bulkhead connector and wiring burn up...............

If your battery is staying charged, you don't need a bigger alternator. Do like me and use a cigarette lighter voltmeter, or even the cheap Harbor Freight one. You can also try putting on a 10 A charger at the end of each week. If it shows full charge in 20 min or less, your alternator was doing fine, assuming the battery can hold a charge.

-
Back