upholstrey help

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
When I got my Duster the interior had been redone. When I sit in the car I feel like I am sitting way too low. My original Duster back in 71 I sat a full 4 inches higher.
So yesterday I turn over the front bench seat to see why. I did notice that the springs were sitting there all by their lonesome. I figure to help support the weight the springs needed to be tied together so they can help each other.
I took a handful of tie wraps and tied the springs together, each in 3 places next to the springs on either side of them. It seems to work great. I am sitting at least 3 inches higher. The only problem is in this climate tie wraps will not last long under that pressure. I need some ideas to tie the springs together with a non-metallic fastener.
Anyone have any ideas???

Ed

On top of the original springs was a burlap with small wires in the weave. That is what helped spread the load across several springs. I guess someone left it out.
Year One and others have it. I don't think installing it without removing the covering is possible.

On top of the original springs was a burlap with small wires in the weave. That is what helped spread the load across several springs. I guess someone left it out.
Year One and others have it. I don't think installing it without removing the covering is possible.

Thanks for the reply...................I am willing to bet money that that wired burlap was not used when this was upholstered.
At this point I am going to take a lesson from Lazyboy. I am going to strech a rod across the bottom and tie off the springs to the rod. Not sure if I am going to do one or two. I guess if the first one works I will do the second one.
Kinda of trial by fire. I got some nylon-type heavy twine and it is fusible. I am going to clamp the twine with a hot crimper in hope it works.

Ed :banghead:

The upholstery shop told me to take listing wire (basically bailing wire) and run multiple strips across the springs and zip tie them down to spread the weight more evenly across the springs.

I did it and 6 months later I noticed something poking up through the front cover. I felt it and it felt like metal so I assumed I had accidentally left a small piece of a hog ring in there. I pulled the seat out and it turns out the listing wire worked its way up through the foam and poked a hole right in the middle of my new seat cover. There were also 3 other wires that were making their way through the foam as well. The weight from sitting on the seat just slowly worked the wires through.

If you're going to do this I'd suggest bending a loop at the end of the wires so they can't work their way through the foam and mess up the cover.

I would use something a little thicker than bailing wire. Something like a coat hanger. I would run them front to back and side to side and tie the together at each intersection where they cross each other. As stated prior loop the ends around the upper frame of the seat springs. Did they install new buns??

Just my two pennies.

upholstery shops that do automotive usually have lengths of tempered wire that is used especially for reinforcing springs. They also have little metal clamps lined with heavy paper that can be used to attach the reinforcing wires. Obtained both items when I rebuilt the seats on a 56 Buick restoration project.

Should have mentioned that the wires are run lengthwise and attached to the wavy springs where they touch in a parallel fashion.

I finished yesterday afternoon, I am sitting 2-3 inches higher (maybe more) Thanks for the input

I bought steel ties at harbor freight there about 12 inches long.

I finished yesterday afternoon, I am sitting 2-3 inches higher (maybe more) Thanks for the input

I saw that there may have been Seat Rail Mounting Pads that came for mounting the seat. I could not find them anywhere for a reasonable price.
At O'reilley auto parts I saw rubber spacers that are put inside coil springs.
4 in a package. I mounted these 2 on a side between the seat and the guides. They have three different sizes to the spacer tall taller and flat.
I just finished and it works fantastic

I did not take any pictures when I had the seat out, but I did take the camera and stuck it under the seat and snapped these pictures. May be hard to see out of context.
You may be able to make out where the rubber blocks were put between the rail and the seat.
The other is tying the springs together with a wooden dowel, nylon twine and zip ties.

Attachments

• 2013-11-10 14.19.01.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 2013-11-10 14.20.37.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 2013-11-10 14.20.42.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 2013-11-10 14.20.00.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 121
-
Back