Upper and Lower Ball Joints

-

tfie93

Reaction score
This probably is a stupid question but are upper and lower ball joints the same for disc and drum brakes? And is it possible to re-use them? Thanks for the help guys.

What year A body car are you asking about?

1972 and earlier A body upper control arm ball joints are all the same wether the car is drum brake or disc brake.
Lower ball joints are different between disc brake, and drum brake cars.
The difference is drum brake ball joints bolt to the spindle with 1/2 inch diameter bolts, and disc brake ball joints bolt to the spindle using 9/16 inch diameter bolts.

Now if your asking about 1973 to 76 A body cars, the upper and lower ball joints are the same on those cars for either disc, or drum brakes.

Yes I have a 71 Duster. The setup I am using came from a 72 Dart. Now when I buy lower ball joints would I buy them for the car? (71 Duster) or the setup? (72 Dart) I found some MOOG on Jegs for $47 say they fit 73-76 Duster, says nothing about 70-72 but that it fits 62-76 Dart. Would I be okay using these because the whole setup is from a Dart? I hope I did not confuse you ..

As hemi71x said, you should be good for your car as they would have been the same as the 72 parts. Disc or drum? 73-76 is no good. If you are on a strict budget, upper ball joints should not wear much, but will probably need new boots. The Lower ones are the ones that wear.

That's not a stupid question! In fact there are no stupid questions on FABO. That's the good part, you can ask whatever you don't know and someone will pitch in.
Great site!!!!!:lol:

As a rule of thumb, i would take all of the parts i could off of the donor car and change everything over, and order parts for that year and set up. This would effectively in your case make your car a '72 dart for parts ordering purposes.
You will only confuse the parts person if you tell them what you are really doing.
Don't ''mix and match'' parts off of different years and applications unless you know what you are doing or are really wanting to do a lot of comparing to make sure that they are the same dimensionally.
If you are unsure, get a complete parts car that hasn't been altered in any way and use the entire front end set up for the swap, then you order the parts necessary for the car that was the donor and it would be spot on.

i'm going to piggy back onto this thread as it's something i've been wondering about as well.

i have a 70 dart swinger and plan on doing a front end rebuild. the car has single caliper piston disc breaks, which i'm pretty sure are not original to the car (70's were either drum or 4 piston disc, correct?) i checked my fender tag and it says nothing about brakes so it probably had drums and was converted to disc. i have no idea what the current brakes might have come off though. i'm trying to get it all sorted out so i can have all the right parts on hand and get the job done quickly. since it's my daily driver, i can't have the down time of running around or waiting for the right parts if i end up with the wrong ones.

what should i be looking for to figure this all out? am i even asking the right questions? lol

i'm green but more than eager to learn so any advice/tips is more than appreciated. :)

i'm going to piggy back onto this thread as it's something i've been wondering about as well.

i have a 70 dart swinger and plan on doing a front end rebuild. the car has single caliper piston disc breaks, which i'm pretty sure are not original to the car (70's were either drum or 4 piston disc, correct?) i checked my fender tag and it says nothing about brakes so it probably had drums and was converted to disc. i have no idea what the current brakes might have come off though. i'm trying to get it all sorted out so i can have all the right parts on hand and get the job done quickly. since it's my daily driver, i can't have the down time of running around or waiting for the right parts if i end up with the wrong ones.

what should i be looking for to figure this all out? am i even asking the right questions? lol

i'm green but more than eager to learn so any advice/tips is more than appreciated. :)

Sounds like your car has the 73 and later disc brakes. Does it have the large 4.5" bolt pattern?

Here is what my 68 Dart looks lke with the 73 later disc, although my calipers are on the rear of spindle not the front like factory did. Nice thing about the 73 conversions is the ball joints are cheaper than the earlier ones.

Attachments

• 68 Dart 038.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 403
thanks zhandfull. yes that looks like my set up except my calipers are on the front of the spindle. yep, large bolt pattern too.

so, if i was to go with a front end kit, i should go with a 73 or later kit? also what's weird is i ran into and met a local mopar dude (he had a challenger, charger, and two road runners in his garage) and he said it really shouldn't make a difference between the 70 or 73 kit. he said either would work. super confusing to a green horn like me. :pale:

thanks zhandfull. yes that looks like my set up except my calipers are on the front of the spindle. yep, large bolt pattern too.

so, if i was to go with a front end kit, i should go with a 73 or later kit? also what's weird is i ran into and met a local mopar dude (he had a challenger, charger, and two road runners in his garage) and he said it really shouldn't make a difference between the 70 or 73 kit. he said either would work. super confusing to a green horn like me. :pale:

Upper and lower bushings wouldn't make a difference but the ball joints are different for 73+. So I would just order parts for a 73 car myself.

-
Back