Upper control arm question

-

grassy

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if the folks writing instructions on how to install a part have ever seen one in person. Did a search here and again, read the service manual which is clear as mud...either that or I am getting a little less smart in my older age :)

I bought these from Energy suspension.

bushing%20uca-X2.jpg

They will not fit into the holes without a bit of grease and a push.

It seems that I am supposed to take them apart ( how ? ) and have done a bunch of measuring before I took the arms off the car (oops).

I have read about an alignment tool ..not sure where an have watched a guy wiggle the control arm in a youtube video. Nothing is mentioned about the funny looking bolts and washers that I took off the car.

I thought that you just pop them in...check for slack, add a washer or two if required and use the funny looking bolt and washer..maybe a lock nut washers as well and tighten it up.

Shouldn't the holes that you install the ends in keep the alignment ?

Am I missing something ?

Lastly, an anyone identify the following kit ?

As always, thanks for your input.

Ian :)

pieces-M.jpg

Upper arm bushings do need to be pressed into the arm. Some use homemade tools ( piece of pipe, bolt, nut, washers, etc..)
The sway bar end link kit pictured is universal in that it works for 2 different application pre 73 uses the longer pieces, 73 and later uses the shorter pieces.

I sometimes wonder if the folks writing instructions on how to install a part have ever seen one in person. Did a search here and again, read the service manual which is clear as mud...either that or I am getting a little less smart in my older age :)

I bought these from Energy suspension.

They will not fit into the holes without a bit of grease and a push.

It seems that I am supposed to take them apart ( how ? ) and have done a bunch of measuring before I took the arms off the car (oops).

I have read about an alignment tool ..not sure where an have watched a guy wiggle the control arm in a youtube video. Nothing is mentioned about the funny looking bolts and washers that I took off the car.

I thought that you just pop them in...check for slack, add a washer or two if required and use the funny looking bolt and washer..maybe a lock nut washers as well and tighten it up.

Shouldn't the holes that you install the ends in keep the alignment ?

Am I missing something ?

Lastly, an anyone identify the following kit ?

As always, thanks for your input.

Ian :)

Do yourself a favor and install the offset bushings so the car will be easier to align.

Top picture is the bushings and the bottom chart is the updated radial tire alignment specs.

Attachments

• Mopar offset bushings.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 599
  • alignment-specifications.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 586
OK. No sway bar yet so I can tuck them away and forget about them for awhile.

I have a hand press that I use so it shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, is there a rule of thumb that if you install one sway bar, it has to be the front ? I have one for each end but the front is going to be a problem due to lack of mounting points on my UCA.

No markings on the body of the new bushings ...the chart you posted made sense. No washers came with the kit either. I am learning a few lessons quickly.

Thanks
Ian.

OK. No sway bar yet so I can tuck them away and forget about them for awhile.

I have a hand press that I use so it shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, is there a rule of thumb that if you install one sway bar, it has to be the front ? I have one for each end but the front is going to be a problem due to lack of mounting points on my UCA.

No markings on the body of the new bushings ...the chart you posted made sense. No washers came with the kit either. I am learning a few lessons quickly.

Thanks
Ian.

Those aren't offset bushings. You need Moog K7103.

Yes, front sway bar first.

.....my wife's daily driver (required for employment) tanked and we had to sell it for scrap .. and bought a newer used car so my budget has gotten even smaller.

According to energy suspension, these have to be taken apart before being pressed in. unfortunately, I have the whole suspension put together and torqued up..the bugger is that energy suspension will not tell me how to take apart other than take it to a machine shop and have them do it. Pressing them in isn't a problem but I kind of feel stoopid going to a machine shop with the 4 bushings and asking them to take them apart for me because the vendor won't tell me how..

Does anyone out there in FABO land have any ideas ?

Thanks
Grassy

Maybe they mean you cant replace them on the car. The suspension does have to come apart and the arm has to go to the press.
Maybe Energy Suspension hasn't replaced these upper arm bushings before.
Find a piece of thin wall pipe that will catch the outer diameter of the bushing to use at the press.

How odd...I just pressed them into place so I have no idea what the energy suspension dude was talking about.

in my manual they only show the uca of other models that have one bolt that goes through both bushings..I have a handful of bolts with funny washers and I seem to remember each bushing has it's one bolts. Do anyone have an exploded diagram that I can follow ?

as always, your help helps us tremendously.

ian.

For the record, I've forgotten what year your car?

What "manual" do you actually have?

Here's one out of a 72, I'm not aware of any that only use one bolt

Maybe you're confused? The diagram is showing just one bolt, the other is identical

Attachments

• 72upper.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 423
I hope you pressed on the outside shell and not on the washer on the end.

If you pressed on the washer it pushes the bushing through the casing.

BION, I have the '75 service manual...the car is a '75 Duster. This is a better diagram than I have ..I can see things much better....from what it looked like to me, the other cars used one long bolt threaded on both ends that passed through both bushings.

Yes, the bushings were just one piece.

Now that I have seen this, it should not be a bad job to do.

Thanks
Ian.

It seems that my are a very tight fit..what is the safest way to pound them in ?

Thanks
ian.

I would not "pound them in." Go to someplace that sells pipe fittings and get some pipe nipples/ couplings, whatever that will just fit over the OD of the receiving side of the A arm, as well as one to fit on the OD of the bushing collar. A pipe cap will work too. Buy some threaded rod, grade 5 if possible, and fine thread if possible. Probably a fastener's store VS common hardware.

This is what you are after. the piece on the left goes on the inside, or "receiving" side, and the black cap on the right, though not shown, needs to be recessed and "sit" on the od of the big collar of the bushing

If you have sockets that are large enough and deep enough, you could use them, too

23441-2T.jpg

The only rwd chrysler I know of that used a single long "bolt" through both upper control arm bushings was the transverse torsion bar cars (aspen,diplomat etc...). Many other brands used a single upper mount setup, these designs used shims for adjustment instead of the "cam" style eccentric bolt/washer.

OP was asking which end should get a sway bar first. Make that the front end. If you want a really loose street car, then install one on the ... :snakeman:...nah..... not even for someone I don't know.

X2 Do not pound bushings in, nor use grease to get them to slide in, either. Another way to do it is to take the control arms and bushings to an old school front end or frame shop and have them press them in. Most of these shops have a 20-ton hydraulic press that makes short work of the project. This is something I like to get right.

My bad maybe I thought the bushings were all ready in,I thought he meant to install the arm.

Snake, you are correct.

I have a c-clamp tool that allows me to press out or in things like bushings that will fit into the unit.

I jacked the whole unit by the lca..installed the shock and then pushed it up more...got the correct angle and pushed...I was expecting the two bushings to fall between the tabs with a little effort but not out right refusal. It was just about 100F with an almost 100 % humidity so we gave the car a break..

I am going to try gentle tapping with a small sledge I have..I am not ready to dog ear the tabs yet.

Ian.

Are these the ears that the upper control arm bushings slide between?

I use a piece of all thread, couple of nuts and large washers. Work the assembly in between the ears, then spread the nuts apart, pushing the ears with your washers. Makes quick work of it and no swinging hammers!

Are these the ears that the upper control arm bushings slide between?

I use a piece of all thread, couple of nuts and large washers. Work the assembly in between the ears, then spread the nuts apart, pushing the ears with your washers. Makes quick work of it and no swinging hammers!

That will work too ,I used a 3 pound BFH.

I get it. A bit more refined than the bfh.

I will be working on the car Monday so I'll post how it went..

ian

-
Back