UPS (gripe)

-

DodgeLad

Skipped the Light Fandango
Reaction score
Just spent 2 hours voiding a shipment. I forgot to login and created a 'ghost' shipment. Then I logged in and created a duplicate accidentally. The 'Void' utility couldn't find the first shipment and wouldn't let me search by tracking number, so I was relegated to phone support. Whenever they said they are going to 'transfer' me, it was a dead end. ARR

The UPS website is an illogical quagmire if you don't use it daily. It doesn't like Firefox much. If you edit a shipment, it doesn't always remember what you have already done. Probably my fault there. But I was a programmer for years, and I could write better code on LSD with a side of quaaludes. The one function that does work every time on the UPS site is the billing of your payment method. Be careful, you almost can't get it back from an error, and if you do you'll pay with grief anyhow.

Just spent 2 hours voiding a shipment. I forgot to login and created a 'ghost' shipment. Then I logged in and created a duplicate accidentally. The 'Void' utility couldn't find the first shipment and wouldn't let me search by tracking number, so I was relegated to phone support. Whenever they said they are going to 'transfer' me, it was a dead end. ARR

The UPS website is an illogical quagmire if you don't use it daily. It doesn't like Firefox much. If you edit a shipment, it doesn't always remember what you have already done. Probably my fault there. But I was a programmer for years, and I could write better code on LSD with a side of quaaludes. The one function that does work every time on the UPS site is the billing of your payment method. Be careful, you almost can't get it back from an error, and if you do you'll pay with grief anyhow.

But to us nonprogrammers that's exactly what code looks like, well to me anyway :)

Thanks for listening, blood pressure is back down now. FYI, to make this thread worth anything at all, if you have a problem that doesn't need to be resolved immediately and want it handled painlessly, email

[email protected]

Dear Andrew,
Thank you for reaching out to us. Hope you're doing well.
Upon checking tracking 1Z67PTV30320001218, our record shows that it has been voided this morning at 10:09.
The credit for your voided package(s) will be submitted to your payment card company within 2-5 business days.
If you have further questions or inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Stay safe and healthy!

Best Regards,
Annie V.
UPS Billing Representative

If you have anything lightweight send it USPS. I recently found it $13.cheaper than UPS on something I sent. More times than once it was that way. Odd thing is UPS sometimes delivers to the post office for final delivery.
Yote

If you have anything lightweight send it USPS. I recently found it $13.cheaper than UPS on something I sent. More times than once it was that way. Odd thing is UPS sometimes delivers to the post office for final delivery.
Yote
I had some brakes shoes sent to me, and UPS was the cheapest. Surprised me and the guy who sent them. Any small packages from UPS, goes in my PO Box, or mail locker, bigger stuff makes it to my door.

The reason UPS delivers to USPS is sometimes its less expensive that way. If UPS has to go to a podunk address with only one package they can take ot to USPS for final delivery as USPS has to go there every day.
FedEx does it and calls it Smart Post.

on there worst day ups is still better than fedex
Actually, it is EXACTLY the opposite for me. The only way I have to ship via UPS is at a nearby UPS store. I used to use them all the time. I'd go to the UPS website to get a shipping quote, and when I went to the UPS store, that was pretty much what I paid. Then it got to where the online quotes were not what I paid. For example, one time the online quote was about $15, and when I got to the UPS store, they wanted $20. then one time I needed a strange sized box, and they wanted $20 for it. I questioned that price, and I was told they were not in the box selling business. So I tried the FEDEX place and their boxes were quite reasonably priced, their shipping costs were less than the UPS store and the online prices matched the FEDEX store price. Plus, the service is much better. I much prefer FEDEX.

Actually, it is EXACTLY the opposite for me. The only way I have to ship via UPS is at a nearby UPS store. I used to use them all the time. I'd go to the UPS website to get a shipping quote, and when I went to the UPS store, that was pretty much what I paid. Then it got to where the online quotes were not what I paid. For example, one time the online quote was about $15, and when I got to the UPS store, they wanted $20. then one time I needed a strange sized box, and they wanted $20 for it. I questioned that price, and I was told they were not in the box selling business. So I tried the FEDEX place and their boxes were quite reasonably priced, their shipping costs were less than the UPS store and the online prices matched the FEDEX store price. Plus, the service is much better. I much prefer FEDEX.
I returned a set of headers, got a shipping label, and the carrier picked it up at my door. Think it was Fed ex..

it looks like it doesn't matter whose name is on the shingle above the door it's the actual management and personel of the local branch

I’ve had 3 shipments in the past year where they assessed me additional charges after I entered the info online. Dimensions and weights were honest and accurate. I disputed the last two and never got a response. The crappy part about it is that I pay via PayPal and they just take it out of your account without asking or explaining why.

I’ve had 3 shipments in the past year where they assessed me additional charges after I entered the info online. Dimensions and weights were honest and accurate. I disputed the last two and never got a response. The crappy part about it is that I pay via PayPal and they just take it out of your account without asking or explaining why.
Had that happen too. And the extra charge was $150 and there wasn't anything I could do about it. It was a hitch. I worked at a mailing facility at the time and we cocooned the thing in plastic. A whole lot of plastic. It looked like a big alien egg and you couldn't tell what it was to begin with. The charge was for not boxing it.

I've really had no trouble with USPS and Fedex is a farther drive. USPS wanted an extra $11 for this package over UPS. I wish I would have just paid it in retrospect.

-
Back