Urgent paint help - "clean Release Tape" left residue!

-

challengergary

Reaction score
In the middle of two-toning a hood. Painted the scoop black, fine line taped it then applied blue masking tape and paper to the rest. After shooting the rest of the hood, I peeled the tape off and the "clean release" blue tape left adhesive residue! What can I do to remove the residue without screwing up the base coat??

HELP!!!!!

Attachments

• tape residue.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 186
I've seen this look go away on its own yet when I need it to disappear, I use Rapid Remover by Rapid Tac. A sign shop should have some on their shelf, stop by and ask them. It contains lemonene which is citrus based and will not hurt your finish. I'm a 50+ year hand pinstriper and know my tools and materials..

Let it flash off real good and wipe with wax & grease remover or alcohol then wipe it with a tack rag. No big deal!

NEVER USE THE BLUE TAPE! That stuff is garbage! Always use automotive masking tape.

I've seen this look go away on its own yet when I need it to disappear, I use Rapid Remover by Rapid Tac. A sign shop should have some on their shelf, stop by and ask them. It contains lemonene which is citrus based and will not hurt your finish. I'm a 50+ year hand pinstriper and know my tools and materials..

He's right, stuff is amazing.

Don't use Home Depot tape when painting a car, use Automotive tapes.

-
Back