USA and AUSTRALIAN ,NEW ZEALAND DARTS

-

capjr

Reaction score
8) Hello all I am new to FABO. And have a few questions about darts here and overseas. What differences besides righthand drive and it appears the front end are different? The ones I,ve seen seem to be 68 or 69 models.YOU GUYS AND GALS HAVE SOME NICE RIDES .
Thanx Charles:-D

8) Hello all I am new to FABO. And have a few questions about darts here and overseas. What differences besides righthand drive and it appears the front end are different? The ones I,ve seen seem to be 68 or 69 models.YOU GUYS AND GALS HAVE SOME NICE RIDES .
Thanx Charles:-D

In Australia what you call Darts were known as Valiant Hardtops. They were manufactured here between 1969 and 1971 in two model ranges, VF's from 1969 till April 1970 then VG's through till April 1971. They were sold in a number of versions from base models to Regals to Regal 770's,. There was also a sports version (the Pacer) available in the VG range.

In VF's the engines available were 1 bbl 225 slant 6, 2bbl 160HP slant 6 and 318 2 bbl V8. The Hemi six engine replaced the slant 6 in the VG model range with the base engine being a 245 1 bbl, the next engine up was a 2 bbl 245 hemi 6 and again the 318 V8 2bbl. The Pacer had a higher performance version of the 2 bbl 245 Hemi.

From the fire wall back all the sheet metal was imported from the US and is identical to your '69 Dart. Things get a bit different from the firewall forward, obviously the firewall is a new pressing to cater for right hand drive. Forward of the K frome the chassis rails are 2 inches longer to allow extra room for the Hemi 6. The steering box is mounted on the r/h chassis rail instead of the K frame as the A body offset drive drain didn't allow enough room for mounting a steering box on the r/h side of the k frame.

Here're some photos of 3 of my hardtops ...

This one is a Pacer Hardtop that is nearing the end of its restoration. It is a particularly rare variant as it is the only survivor of 3 Track Pack E31 engined Pacers ever built.

2607096.jpg

2607095.jpg

This one is also a VG Pacer Hardtop, however it now runs a 370 cube 500++ hp small block :-D

3005094.jpg

2205092.jpg

And finally this one is called a "Sterling Moss Special" and was a limited edition model released to promote the introduction of the Hemi engine range

I added the Magnums, they weren't available in Australia

1304098.jpg

0601091wc7.jpg

I hope that helps you a bit, I'm sure that others can post pictures of completed vehicles and of the VF models which had a completely different grill treatment and round headlights.

Cheers,

Mike

Yep, basically a Dart from the cowl back (sheetmetal wise). Here's my former VG 770 Hardtop (factory 318, 904, in-dash tach) that I restored and eventually sold when I had to choose between it and building my 68 cuda... sometimes I think I made the wrong decision, I loved the hardtop styling and getting out on the highway with the windows down in that car.

(Note: Challenger/Barracuda steering wheel not OEM, nor is the flip top fuel cap which was actually borrowed from an OZ Valiant Charger but the same as US 69 cuda and charger, or the dodge mag wheel hubcaps you see in the last shot).

sr16.jpg

web2.jpg

sr2.jpg

P7160017.jpg

Thanx guys for the info. Those are some nice rides you have there !!!!!!!
I like the front end styling is why I asked .I,m Probably giving my Idea away but thats cool. Just wondering if the sheet metal will bolt on a US model.It would be different look here. Sydcuda that dash looks awsome . Did i see that correctly the speedo is in MPH not KPH ? THANX AGAIN FOR THE HELP

CHARLES :cheers:

Just wondering if the sheet metal will bolt on a US model.It would be different look here.

You would have to replace everything forward of the fire wall including the inner guards and extend the chassis rails by 2" to use the sheetmetal on a US Dart. Honestly it would be far cheaper and easier to import an Australian Valiant Hardtop.

Cheers,

Mike

You would have to replace everything forward of the fire wall including the inner guards and extend the chassis rails by 2" to use the sheetmetal on a US Dart. Honestly it would be far cheaper and easier to import an Australian Valiant Hardtop.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike thanx. I see what you mean . just thought shipping fenders and stuff would be cheaper than the complete car. plus waiting for them to clear customs is probably a pain inthe a$$ . I know a guy who shipped his dont gag Skyline over from japan. and it sat in customs for more than 6months before he got it .Plus another nine in storage to get all the paper work in order. His was one of the last they let in. Thanx again Charles.:happy10:

:@:
Brewil Thanx for the links. Now lets see 7100 au converts to ? us. oops:read2:
And now shipping, customs ,:happy10:

I,ll do that later . Thanx Charles :toothy10:

I wouldn't mind transplanting the front sheetmetal onto a US Dart. I think the look is much better. Wonder what it would cost to ship to the US??? I have seen both the US and Aussie models with the front ends apart. I don't think you would need to change the inner fenders. The bolts line up its just that they moved the core support forward in the Aussie models so htey extended the front sheet metal to match. May need a support runner going forward from the US core support to the front bolt in the fender. 2 Inches (roughly 5 CM) isn't much.

Larry

Hello Larry, Hows it going ? Yea they do look good. Thats why I asked. Kinda like a factory custom. I was wondering how hard it would be to swap, if possible. 8)

Charles

I wouldn't mind transplanting the front sheetmetal onto a US Dart. I think the look is much better. Wonder what it would cost to ship to the US??? I have seen both the US and Aussie models with the front ends apart. I don't think you would need to change the inner fenders. The bolts line up its just that they moved the core support forward in the Aussie models so htey extended the front sheet metal to match. May need a support runner going forward from the US core support to the front bolt in the fender. 2 Inches (roughly 5 CM) isn't much.

Larry

Larry,

the inner guards are 2" longer and a different shape at the front, also the whole rad support panel is wider where it meets the front of the inner guards.

These photos may help you see the difference ...

2905091.jpg

0606092.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

Thanx guys for the info. Those are some nice rides you have there !!!!!!!
.............Sydcuda that dash looks awsome . Did i see that correctly the speedo is in MPH not KPH ? THANX AGAIN FOR THE HELP

Yeh, charles, in 1970 it was still MPH, even though I was a kid then I still to this day subconsciously convert KPH road signs into MPH, I cant think in KPH!

Larry,

the inner guards are 2" longer and a different shape at the front, also the whole rad support panel is wider where it meets the front of the inner guards.

These photos may help you see the difference ...

2905091.jpg

0606092.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

I'd still like to try it one day. Even if the core support is wider I think that 2 inches could be added to the front of the existing inner panels and if needed the tops could be pushed out to accomodate the wider stance of the hood. I just like the look more than the indented style hoods of the US 67-69 darts.

Larry

Yep, basically a Dart from the cowl back (sheetmetal wise). Here's my former VG 770 Hardtop (factory 318, 904, in-dash tach) that I restored and eventually sold when I had to choose between it and building my 68 cuda... sometimes I think I made the wrong decision, I loved the hardtop styling and getting out on the highway with the windows down in that car.

(Note: Challenger/Barracuda steering wheel not OEM, nor is the flip top fuel cap which was actually borrowed from an OZ Valiant Charger but the same as US 69 cuda and charger, or the dodge mag wheel hubcaps you see in the last shot).

I can see why you think youve made the wrong decision..
That is a nice vg!

As much as i love american iron,an i do,cuz i just bought an
A body dart, our aussie stuff is pretty rare in comparison
An worth keeping.
I love my charger,id sell my soul before i sold that car!

Yeah I agree. What I don't understand, and this is for the Aussies, is how a Ford XB base coupe can be worth more than a Valiant Charger which is a far rarer car. Any ideas? Does it all have to do with Bathurst?

-
Back