Usable power for the street?

-
And hence why I really don’t like to recommend a cam anyone much less one precisely for “Best Cam” in the questioners post.

I’ll give a general area of duration that will work and state that you should get as much lift as your heads can support.

Thanks. I tried doing the math while on a short break from working on the truck. I didn’t come up with numbers that made sense so I did something wrong. So, frustrated & hot, I just left it to do some parts gathering.

Rounding up-ish…
A 273 will use a 106.9326 with a 1.78 valve - 107
A 318 will use a 103.4599 with a 1.78 valve - 103/104
A 340 will use a 104.8796 with a 2.02 valve - 104
A 360 will use a 101.6965 with a 1.88 valve - 101/102
A 408 will use a 100.7280 with a 2.055 valve - 100
Looks about right on the math. Comp grinds a lot of carb cams at 110°LCA. That according to DV is to compensate for guys like us that want more cam and then end up with an engine that does not perform well on the street. The wider LCA tones that down some.
Looking at new engine cam specs like the Chevy LS, they are using up to 117°LCA. This is to use a long duration cam and still get pretty smooth idle quality withlow emissions. This reduces peak torque, so the manufacturers have all gone to 8 and 10 speed automatic transmissions to keep the engine in a sweet spot for torque during acceleration, low emissions and fuel economy. Many of these have two overdrive gears or a very low first couple of gears and a tall final drive to work with a single overdrive. I have a Crown Vic parts car withan injected 302, AOD trans and 2.26 final drive. Should have gotten fair mileage on the highway.
So hot. You must be a bunch south. I am about 54° north. We are just now getting 5° to 10°C which is 40° to 50°F. Wind gusts to 40MPH, so it feels colder than it is. Nice if out of the wind and in the sun though.

Last edited:
Years ago I had a freshly built 273 Commando in my 65 Barracuda acting like a stupid kid (I was in 1980) I blew it up in short order. I pulled that motor and put a '71 318 with a 2 barrel in it's place and the car was faster and more fun to drive , 4 speed with 3:55 gears. My most recent 65 had a built 360 aluminum heads roller rockers which I'd estimate close to 400 hp. With a 4 speed and 4:11 gears HOLY SMOKES was it fun to drive!!! (ask 68GTXMAN he owns it now) launches like a rocket winds to the moon Bang another gear!!! Go with a nicely built 360 and don't look back

IMG_3996.JPG

I say give it a little more duration (10*’s) and be good with it. The MP crate 360/300 is 55hp better than stock. That’s with the 5.9 broom stick cam, M1 dual plane, 750 & 1-3/4 headers.

Why new lifters?
Richard also had the dyno set up with no accessories.
:rofl:

The crate 360 is gross hp, stock 5.9 at 245 is net. That is where a lot of the difference is.

And hence why I really don’t like to recommend a cam anyone much less one precisely for “Best Cam” in the questioners post.
I’ll give a general area of duration that will work and state that you should get as much lift as your heads can support.
I agree. The formula works for any parrallel valve (wedge) engine. Duration is application depedent as is a single or split pattern grind. DV describes a few things that affect the LCA, like CR. As you state, as much lift as you can get is beneficial.

Years ago I had a freshly built 273 Commando in my 65 Barracuda acting like a stupid kid (I was in 1980) I blew it up in short order. I pulled that motor and put a '71 318 with a 2 barrel in it's place and the car was faster and more fun to drive , 4 speed with 3:55 gears. My most recent 65 had a built 360 aluminum heads roller rockers which I'd estimate close to 400 hp. With a 4 speed and 4:11 gears HOLY SMOKES was it fun to drive!!! (ask 68GTXMAN he owns it now) launches like a rocket winds to the moon Bang another gear!!! Go with a nicely built 360 and don't look back

View attachment 1715889475
Definately much easier to get torque out of a 360. The cam determines where the torque developed by the displacement and compression comes into play.

To get the ° symbol on the phone at least, select the !#1 or ABC key. Then the up arrow for caps. Right there is the degree symbol along with a bunch of others.

View attachment 1715889475
Love those early Barracudas. Missed one up here. Other obligations so I could not afford it. Keeping my eye on a Challenger. Not original and parked in the trees. If he won't sell soon the metal mice will.get it.

The crate 360 is gross hp, stock 5.9 at 245 is net. That is where a lot of the difference is.

If your telling me, LOL, I’ll say no ****. LMAO!
But it’s good to state for the forum.

-
Back