Use a press don't be like me axle bearing removal

-
7D6E0DCF-A26A-4AFE-B3F8-54514092B260.gif

How is the the axle held on using the Green bearings? From your picture, looks like the axle flange holds the axle using the snap ring on the Green bearings, is that correct?
Exactly. All the parts were already laid out in the correct order from Dr. Diff so I didn't have to think too much. That's a good thing!

BTW Ford 9" and Mopar 7 1/4 all use the same type of bearing the green bearing is.

Side loading is not an issue for them.

The issue was bad bearings in the early green bearings.

The bearing outer part should be held in place, with no noticable movement, by the housing end and the bearing retainer.

The bearing inner part is held to the axle shaft by the press on retainer and there should be no noticable movement.

When everything is installed CORRECTLY there should be no noticable movement.

On the OEM tapered bearings there is a need to have a minimal amount of movement (IIRC) and the center button and the adjustable outer retainer on one side sets that for both slides.

Retainer removal 2nd side:

Not 100% sure the driver's side bearing is fully seated. Definitely no side loading though!

As Dana pointed out THIS PLAY should NOT be there. The only axle bearings I've ever seen that had "detectable" visual play or that you could "hear" are the straight roller bearing "C clip" axles. These have play because of the play in the snap ring and groove, and possibly some play between snap ring and differential case, and the end of the axle hitting the pinion cross shaft

Green bearings are basically same general type of bearing that Ford and others have used for years. Older Chevs used them, I used to own a 55--56--57 Chev when I was young.

The green type "can" come apart, but remember---generally, hard cornering, the most force is against the "outside" tire in a turn, forcing it IN. If you have enough "tire" (traction) in a tight hard corner, the "green" style ones can come apart once in awhile.

It's not difficult. Just slow and easy. Gettin in a rush is a sure fire way to efff somethin up. That's how I replaced the ring gear on my slant 6 flywheel. Flywheel in the freezer, ring gear in the air fyer. The ring gear fell on.

That play is with the green bearing installed on the drivers side and timken on the passenger.
The passenger bearing retainer was far more difficult to install even after the same freezing this and heating that.
No play with both bearings done. Good stuff. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Now I understand.

You were showing the the center button is not interfering with the green bearing install

-
Back