Use a table ban saw to hack off the 340 piston crown .

-
Excuse..correct terminology would be BAN SAW.

Alright this is bothering me too much I can't stop thinking about it... It's called a band saw because the blade is a long toothed band of steel.

bannnnn saw.png

Thank you carry on...

Yeah, based on the rest of this thread it seems things need to be explained in excruciating detail multiple times over in order for it to stick.

I say , go ahead and do it , if you wont listen to reason , and common sense ....

Burt Munro did.

He made them himself in his home - a garden shelf.
He broke world records which still stand today.

yeah , but that wasnt exactly a hi h.p. engine ...I was refering to Bonneville type cars anyway ...

So, after noticing this thread, the kerosene thread, and the drill press boring thread, I'm picturing in my mind, during the late 18th century, some machinist in a dirt floor barn trying to build the first practical internal combustion engine.

I have a 4" crank for my 390 build, haven't installed it yet. I was wanting to lay it in my 360 block and measure the pistons height with stock 360 pistons. Question is: would sticks of chewing gum (with the wrapper still on of course) suffice for temperary bearing spacers, if I did a good thickness measurements, add as many as you need to get 360 mains correct size. Or how about card board off back fo legal pad, cut in strips to correct thck ness . Keep in mind this is only a mockup... Unless someone out there can lathe/ mill me a set out o hardwood, then I believe i can run my 3.79" 340 crank in my 360...til the cows come home.

Thx, you guys are crazy. LoL
Another question, I have a 4" 318/390 crank, I want use it to check measurements useing my stock pistons in my 360 block. Would sticks of chewing gum (with the wrapper still on of course) work for bearing spacers if layered in the correct thickness or would cardboard off the bback of a legal pad, cut in strips , layered to thickness be better? Keep in mind this is Only a mockup. Unless there is a carpenter out there who can make me some bearing spacers out of hardwood.

I remember my dad saying back in the thirties whe my dad raced a Rudge motorcycle he said he welded up his cams and reground them casting his own pistons and making his own alcohol fuels as well. Why, because you couldn't just buy performance parts then. But when your systems worked you were called an expert tuner and everybody came to buy your bits!

chewing gum as bearing spacers. that's amateur hour, buddy.

you need to get yourself some some mil spec duct tape or use what the pros have been for eons-- 100mph tape!

don't forget to add the bailing wire to your shopping cart. so many uses for that! you could measure the squish! you could make a timing pointer! you could hang part from the rafters!

All this talk no action.
Put the thing together tape the deck cut top off piston in place with hack saw or borrow portable band saw . Roll motor over do it 7 more times.
Remove sand tops with used DA paper from a body shops trash can. done.
I will be here all week.

Ok now we are getting somewhere chewing gum, add in some duct tape, and coat hangers. That should get it done.

I did NOT read this entire post. But I know for a fact that you can take a wood router with a milling bit and cut some surface from a piston dome with the piston in the engine.

But I know for a fact that you can take a wood router with a milling bit and cut some surface from a piston dome with the piston in the engine.
I know for a fact, really have you done this......no safety issues here
A safety hazard is a safety hazard. Now you two can yuk it up all you want but the fact remains that is not only NOT a recommended method but an unsafe one. Period.
So a wood router and a metal milling bit is OK, I don't know where you're from but you need to stay there.

Last edited:
I get stoned and laugh and read more...wow...appears I've been using a high dollar machinist for no reason....wood routers,chewing gum,fiddle stix.....

I know for a fact, really have you done this......no safety issues here

So a wood router and a metal milling bit is OK, I don't know where you're from but you need to stay there.
No, I have not personally done this, one of my friends did on a 3.9 V6 and it turned out great. It is a pity that you can't recognize the difference between an obvious safety hazard and an alternative method of doing something. In my four decades of working in power plants, if a machinist did something like that there would be a "coaching session" about work practices. Your avatar is appropriate but I fear you are showing the wrong end. I am through with you.

wave.gif

-
Back