Use a table ban saw to hack off the 340 piston crown .

-
I have now unwatched the train wreck i was ODing on stuipd.

I say go for it. You seem hell bent, so why even ask for opinions? Use a bastard file to get the crank journals undersized, too.
I went for it. No problem cutting off the dome on a TRW high compression piston and using it...saved a ton of money . The piston is now where it needs to be on compression with my cc.

For $295 you can buy a new set of 360 pistons here on the forum and then sell your 340 pistons. [FOR SALE] - High compression 360 pistons

However you obviously have more time to redo it again later than I would.

Tom
Ok, after 5 months of hyatis, I believe only a piston with a tall crown/ dome would be a suitable for a hack. And that's only if the band saw has a good , adj grip, and your able to position the piston so it don't move.

I've used plenty of bandsaws. No way would I ever recommend this. It is funny though.

If it must be done at home I would rather use a chop saw..like I cut my driveshafts on

Well after some time i was convinced.
So I tried this on some Old tRw 30 overs. Cut the tops off free hand with hack saw. After I Sanded the tops flat on a glass surface with used #80 DA paper. I needed to cut the domes so I could use some cracked 308 heads. Since closed chamber. With the worn guides they had less resistance. (One of my Speed secrets)
Wrapped the pistons with one layer of used wet or dry. Wetted them with used trans fluid to redo the suffedskirts. I then coated the skirts with left over trim black. Not only do they look new, but I have coated skirts
Sanded the bores with used 220 from my buddies body shop. Since we had a storm I Wrapped some used sand paper around some used 4x4 wood post from a downed fence. No drill or stones were needed.
Refined the rod and main bearings with used ultra fine. Sanded cam and lifters with 360. I cleaned and shot 3 light coats on the rods. I was lucky as we had a car come in for a fender bender. So had almost the right shade of gray to make the rods look new. You have to look really close to not know. I even, was,able to wash an old PH8A filter out with used laqure thinner from washing the paint gun out. Nothing wasted.
So was able to do a full free rebuild with used body shop supplies
I ran 10s flat.
My friends wanted to help.....but no.....I was able to push it all by myself in 10 min flat across the finsh line. NOTE) without the flat I think i could have beat the 10min time.

Last edited:
This thread did get my wheels turning on other fine ways to do things
I had a bottle of Gorilla glue. So glued sand paper to my brake shoes and pads. Wet them with used oil. Put the car in jack stands, not much later I had resurfaced drums and rotors. No need to get then turned on a machine, the car turns them just was good as them fancy on car machinez. Justa drag the brakes in gear some.
I still got some glue left. So looking into materials to re-line my pads and shoes with.

This thread did get my wheels turning on other fine ways to do things
I had a bottle of Gorilla glue. So glued sand paper to my brake shoes and pads. Wet them with used oil. Put the car in jack stands, not much later I had resurfaced drums and rotors. No need to get then turned on a machine, the car turns them just was good as them fancy on car machinez. Justa drag the brakes in gear some.
I still got some glue left. So looking into materials to re-line my pads and shoes with.
I've been doing it that way for years:lol:

You know we laugh and have a good time on posts like this but just remember guys in other countries are doing some crazy crafted work. Broken crankshafts, no problem for this guy.

-
Back