Using LX (New Charger/Magnum/300) Wheels on a 74 Dart

-
Not a Mopar but..........I put a set of OEM Corvette wheels on my
GMC Sonoma using 2.5 inch adapters. It makes the little truck stand out,
and nothing beats a OEM rims for those smooth vibrationless ride.
OEM rims are better quality. Adapters have the wheel studs mount on them.
You bolt them directly onto your rotors or drums, that way you can clear the rear
frame rails.

For you guys out there........adapters can be bought off ebay for any applications.
It's the only way to make modern rims fit an older car. Just search "wheel adapters" on Ebay.

100_2539.jpg

100_2538.jpg

100_2537.jpg

100_2536.jpg

Ok, so here is the «soon to be final» results.
On the rear, I used a 1 inch billet spacer cause the wheel was too close from the leaf spring. There was no rubbing but I didn't want to take a chance. I think that the wheel look better closer to the fender. The tires are 225-50-17.

On the front, I am still waiting for the parts but I will use a 1/2 inch spacer with longer wheel studs from Mopar performance. The 1 inch spacer bring the wheel outside of the fender and did not like the way it looked. I know that the center cap will have to be modified cause the hub is too close. The tires are 215-50-17.

I will try to post some pics soon

The Chrysler wheels "should" fit fine on the dart, we didn't have any clearance issues. We've put several style chrysler/charger/magnum wheels on different cars because they're cheap, and look good IMO. But the Magnum wheels we always had to mill out the center to clear the hub. The inside diameter were too small. But on the 300C wheels that we got worked just fine, no clearance needed, but we did have to make some center caps but they were easy.
Got these wheels for $300 bones with brand new tread on them.

dart.jpg

I really like those, and there is a set for $200 locally, but not sure how well they would fit as the 73+ darts have different disc, or something to that effect?

73 and up is when the big bolt pattern started (5 on 4.5" circle) before that it was 5 on 4". If you read the previous posts these wheels will fit on the big bolt pattern although there has been a debate on whether they are a true 5 on 4.5 (5 on 114.3 mm) pattern or are a 5 on 115 bolt pattern.

Got tired of reading the back and forth struggle over what pattern the wheels are and decided to put my hands on a couple and measure them for myself.

Pictures aren't the best, had to use my phone.

115mm gauge on a '08 Charger steel rim - look close and notice how it rides up on one side.

0_IMAGE_072a.jpg

114.3mm (or 4.5") gauge on an '08 Magnum steel wheel - sits right down in the lug holes

0_IMAGE_059.jpg

Can't say for sure that the bolt pattern changed before '08, but I feel pretty confident that at least some of the LX wheels are a 4.5" bolt pattern.

Someone else needs to go grab a couple of wheels and a guage and try it for themselves now.

So im all avout beating a dead horse. You guys are saying that i could use LX, Magnum, or charger wheels on my 74 dart with using only an adapter to make them fit? Might i add that i have drum brakes all around.

I don't know for the front wheels but I had no problems fitting them on the rear with a 1 inch spacer. a 1/4 inch with longer studs can do the job easily for less money but I like the look when the wheels are near the fender.

Thanks, I think im going to paint my rallys black for now. I like the look of black steelies more, and they are cheaper

The local PD has good looking black 5 or 6 spoke ( I haven't tried to look more closely for obvious reasons) on their new Chargers, anyone braver than I know anything about them?

Alright, well I see that this topic has gotten popular even in my relative absence from it.

I guess I'm not the only one who wants to see these wheels on an A...

So, for those who do, here they are!

IMG_4707.jpg

How you ask?
Well, I measured, and measured, and remeasured, and realized that they really only needed to be spaced out 1/2'' to fit on the front. No need for anything super huge.

So, this past Friday I set out to make them fit, and I solved the issues:

Extended lug studs!

IMG_4703.jpg

Stockers were 1 and 1/2'' versus these:

IMG_4701.jpg

They were available at nearly every auto parts store I called, but I needed 10, so I had to wait a day.
Then I pounded the old studs out, pounded these in, and voila! The wheels fit!

Studs installed:

IMG_4700.jpg

So, those extended lug studs, plus 2 1/4'' spacers that my friend Brian made for me a while back, and I was in business!

As for the rear wheels, I'm facing an interesting dillemma:
I got two of the stock LX sized 225/60/18 tires to go on the back of the car to give it the "raked" look. When mounted on the wheels, they actually touch the leaf springs. With a 1/4'' spacer, they're only about 1/4'' away from the leaf spring, which doesnt give them enough clearance when you hit a bump.

Therefore, I'm on the hunt for two cheap smaller profile rear tires. I havent exactly decided what profile yet, but I've got options.

At any rate, here are some more pics of them mounted up!

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

Because I only had one of the stock LX size 225/60/18s mounted (I wanted to see if they'd fit, which they only kind of do...) I was left with only the one to mount up, so thats why this side doesn't have matching wheels on it:

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4708.jpg

Oh, just for information's sake, the two front tires are 235/40/18s. They fit perfectly fine.

I TOTALLY love them, I just can't believe how awesome they look.
They do just enough for the car to set it off, which is exactly what I wanted to do...

More questions? I'm happy to help.
Once I have both the front and rear of the car sitting on the 18s, I'll post up some more pics.

I like it!

What was hitting that you had to space the wheel out 1/2" on the front?

What's the rim width? Any idea on the offset?

Are you running a B-Body rear axle?

Thanks!

Thanks!

The rims in front were hitting the hub of the rotor. Spacing them out prevented that.

Rim width, I believe, is 8'', and I have absolutely no idea what the offset is...

And nope, I'm running the bone stock rear axle that came with the car, which I'm pretty sure is a 7 & 1/4''. (It might be an 8 & 1/4'' though, I don't remember)

Here is mine with the wheels finally installed. I am a graphic designer so I enhanced the piuctures a little lol.

They are 300 touring wheels from a 2007

Like sneke_eyez I used longer front studs with 3/4 spacers on front and billet 1 inch spacer on back.

see previous post for all the infos

Dart-67-2juillet-2010-2-.jpg

Dart-67-2-juillet-2010.jpg

Thanks!

The rims in front were hitting the hub of the rotor. Spacing them out prevented that.

Rim width, I believe, is 8'', and I have absolutely no idea what the offset is...

And nope, I'm running the bone stock rear axle that came with the car, which I'm pretty sure is a 7 & 1/4''. (It might be an 8 & 1/4'' though, I don't remember)

pretty sure 7 1/4 rears were 4x5 bolt pattern. your is almost certainly an
8 1/4 rear end which i think is a little narrower than an 8 3/4. if you ran a
8 3/4 from a B-body the wheels would be centered nicely in the wheel well.
they look good !!

pretty sure 7 1/4 rears were 4x5 bolt pattern. your is almost certainly an
8 1/4 rear end which i think is a little narrower than an 8 3/4. if you ran a
8 3/4 from a B-body the wheels would be centered nicely in the wheel well.
they look good !!

Great to know!
I'm not exactly good with knowledge of the rear ends on these cars, plus it hasn't needed any work since I got it!

Thanks for the compliments everyone!
I haven't figured out what size tires I'm going with, but I'm thinking more and more that it will be 235/45/18s all around.
I would love to have just a small amount more of sidewall all around, and I only want to have to buy tires one more time.
As I said, when I finally make a decision, I'll post pics and the appropriate size!

My 5x4.5 rear end out of a 73 duster is a 7 1/4. It was a disc brake car so it had the 5x4.5 pattern but still only had a 7 1/4 rear.
That looks good though, what size tires are on that 67?

My 5x4.5 rear end out of a 73 duster is a 7 1/4. It was a disc brake car so it had the 5x4.5 pattern but still only had a 7 1/4 rear.
That looks good though, what size tires are on that 67?

i stand corrected. learn more stuff here all the time!!

Dart 67 You have a SWEEEEEEEEEEETTT ride. Awesome!! Now I'm having silly thoughts.

Well, thank you Jefflock. I bought this Dart ten years ago. It is built on a tight budget but I am always using good quality parts. I am not a mechanic but I have learned basic mechanical skills with friends, magazines and Internet. So I am really proud of my little Dart :D

For the tires, here is a cut/paste updated of a previous post:

On the rear, I used a 1 inch billet spacer (with studs) cause the wheel was too close from the leaf spring. There was no rubbing but I didn't want to take a chance. I think that the wheel look better closer to the fender. The tires are 225-50-17.

On the front, I l use a 3/4 inch spacer with longer wheel studs from Mopar performance that i have shortened. The center cap was modified, grinded in thickness and glued with clear silicon cause the hub is too close. The tires are 215-50-17.

Not really a dart but...

I wanted a set of wheels and i found these 09 challenger wheels. I found this page on a google search and found what i needed to know.

I bought a set of 1 1/4" spacers that changed my 5x4.5 to the needed 5x115. I'm happy with the look and thanks for the info.

normal_100_1420a.jpg

normal_100_2558.JPG

normal_100_2557.JPG

-
Back