Using two stock light springs in distributor advance, good idea?

-
Going off route on the thread here a little, and am somewhat skeptical, but I did read about a rather stout 480 plus inch 440 build that had a 21 hp increase with this system over an MSD 6 AL on the dyno. If true, I suspect that it would be more of the engineering of the timing curve constant to rpm in the electronics than an actual spark energy increase, but I would like to hear HalifaxHops' and Andy F's input on this. At my performance level, as long as it isn't points, I am happy!

My choice was based more on the superior build and component quality (according to Don) ... the 3 Step limiter vs 2 step for msd ... and its less $ than the comparible msd even though it includes the coil.

If it produces more HP thats icing on the cake !

Once again, I must bow before the master of the board for saying exactly what I was thinking. As much as I would like to have access to a distributor machine, you can do the same exact thing with a timing light and a tach. A distributor machine will tell you your advance rates at what rpm and so on, but eventually you have to run the distributor to see if the baseline you establish is correct or needs fine tuning.
You can, but its way faster and easier on a machine. My friend had one.

OP, as long as full advance is in by convertor lockup...you're good....and hell, none here can tell you EXACTLY what curve you need and the rate of which it falls in.

I have friends that would remove the one stiff spring all together and only run the one factory soft spring to get 18 at idle and 35 full advance. Some run the mr.gasket one spring others both.... both for drag, one for street is what I adhere to.

Last edited:
You can, but its way faster and easier on a machine. My friend had one.

OP, as long as full advance is in by convertor lockup...you're good....and hell, none here can tell you EXACTLY what curve you need and the rate of which it falls in.

I have friends that would remove the one stiff spring all together and only run the one factory soft spring to get 18 at idle and 35 full advance. Some run the mr.gasket one spring others both.... both for drag, one for street is what I adhere to.
Proof that there is more than one way around the fence...

Just to give you a starting point on what works. Back in the day on my '68 cuda, 383, 4-sp. Got a Prestolite, dual point. Removed vacuum advance, locked down point plate. Installed Hemi points. Used the machine to set it up. No advance at idle (700rpm). Advance comes on at 1100rpm. Full advance at 2200rpm. This totally changed the performance. Now a whole new car. Now very quick to build rpm, very responsive and quick off the line. Ate up many Cameros and mustangs street racing. It was great. The down side- gas mileage was in the toilet (premium). After set-up on the machine, some fine-tuning may be needed for your combo.

-
Back