USPS…….HOW MUCH?

-
Just another step in keeping people from having lives and conducting business. Just wait till all the oil countries convert to the Yuan.

They don't have them available at the post office. You have to order them online and they get delivered at no charge. I don't recall ever seeing them at any post office anywhere.
Not sure where you're finding them online, but it looks like Rob was right and that they've been discontinued.

Discontinuance of the Priority Mail Flat Rate Large Board Game Box | PostalPro

They still show up on the USPS flat rate page (probably because they'll still ship them), but looks like they're unavailable to be ordered. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough? Can you post a link where you're able to order them? Those are a handy flat rate option for sure.

Priority Mail | USPS

I've gotten quotes online and in person. At least in person they've given me a print with dimensions and weight. I've never had any issue with Canada Post.
Sorry to see them f**king with ya Frank.

Not sure where you're finding them online, but it looks like Rob was right and that they've been discontinued.

They still show up on the USPS flat rate page (probably because they'll still ship them), but looks like they're unavailable to be ordered. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough? Can you post a link where you're able to order them? Those are a handy flat rate option for sure.

Priority Mail | USPS
You are correct that they are discontinued. I just assumed that they were still available since I ordered them within the past year or so.

Since we are all bitching about the USPS....

I bought a trim strip from a guy on Facebook market place.

Facebook market place displayed a shipping price.

When the package arrived I had to pay an additional 15.00 for postage due.

Turns out USPS charges a 15.00 sercharge for non rectangular packages.

Fast forward 6 months I get another package this time in a tube, and twice as long, no additional fee.

Just shipped a larger box today (20x29x8 13 lbs) USPS $56 but $106 because of the box size. FedEx $95. They are all crazy high these days.

If you are going to ship USPS, going to the post office is the most expensive way, going online to USPS is better, but going to a free 3rd party that gets volume discounts is the cheapest way. IE goshippo.com FYI my wife ships around 1500 packages a year with USPS. Also goshippo has discounts with ALL major shippers.

I have also had the USPS weigh and measure a box and the next day, the SAME person does it again and comes up witht a much different rate! Or the next day, that same prson meausres and weighs the box and and says it is TOO BIG for them to ship!!!!! USPS could f*** up a wet dream.

Priority Mail | USPS
I’ve been told by 3 different PO employees that they are discontinued.

Try Pirateship.com cheap rates and they ship ups and usps for 1/2 price or so. I do not know how but it is great.

They don't have them available at the post office. You have to order them online and they get delivered at no charge. I don't recall ever seeing them at any post office anywhere.

There presence is totally dependent on the postmaster in charge. A lot of them are lazy and don't keep all the items stocked that they could. I have a post office in a very small town about 5 miles from me and the lady that runs that post office has every box, bag, and letter that USPS offers in her post office. Just go online and order whatever you want for free with free delivery.

Tom

Drivers for fedex are stupid, if you want your package to get where its going, ship usps. You can get an exact price on their website. For the larger stuff, Fastenal 3rd party shipping but your going to have to build a crate with a pallet like base cause they load the truck with a forklift and nothing else.
I've gotta disagree. I have had nothing but good luck and service from FEDEX. If I go to their website and get a quote, that is what it costs when I get to the Fedex office. I quit using UPS because the online quotes were way less than what they wanted at the local UPS place. I could enter the data into the UPS website and get a $25 estimate and they would ask for $40 at the UPS place.

You are correct that they are discontinued. I just assumed that they were still available since I ordered them within the past year or so.
Yeah, they dico'd them, but would sell & honor the remaining stock/supply of 'em. I bought the last handful at My local PO in My little coal-patch town.

I've had them give me that line of crap before, the only difference was I HAD the estimate receipt WITH the measurements on it. The clerk was so argumentative I had to call the postmaster out of her office (who I know), tell her what was going on and she sold me the correct postage. There are so many people working for the USPS that know absolutely nothing about their jobs or even care it's pathetic.

I probably have a half dozen of those USPS game boxes sitting in my office. I even have some of USPS shoe boxes of which I am not sure if they still have them anymore.

Several years ago I made a batch of stainless steel washers for a marine guy in Idaho. I used the large flat rate boxes and cut apart some other USPS boxes for use as a double wall.

I used 3M 88 spray glue, the extra cardboard, and made some really stout boxes. I loaded 65 pounds of washers in each of those boxes since 70 pounds is the domestic limit.

You should have seen the look on the their faces when I showed up at the post office with 3 boxes and the counter guy couldn't even lift one of them. I sure got my money's worth out

of USPS on that transaction.

Tom

I probably have a half dozen of those USPS game boxes sitting in my office. I even have some of USPS shoe boxes of which I am not sure if they still have them anymore.

Several years ago I made a batch of stainless steel washers for a marine guy in Idaho. I used the large flat rate boxes and cut apart some other USPS boxes for use as a double wall.

I used 3M 88 spray glue, the extra cardboard, and made some really stout boxes. I loaded 65 pounds of washers in each of those boxes since 70 pounds is the domestic limit.

You should have seen the look on the their faces when I showed up at the post office with 3 boxes and the counter guy couldn't even lift one of them. I sure got my money's worth out

of USPS on that transaction.

Tom
I have a lot of those game boxes, but be advised, you cannot buy them anymore as they have been discontinued. They will eventually stop accepting them if they have not already.

I've gotta disagree. I have had nothing but good luck and service from FEDEX. If I go to their website and get a quote, that is what it costs when I get to the Fedex office. I quit using UPS because the online quotes were way less than what they wanted at the local UPS place. I could enter the data into the UPS website and get a $25 estimate and they would ask for $40 at the UPS place.
I got a mail drop and its also an authorized fedex shipper and they go there daily and Still can’t figure it out to get packages there. 3 times I had to drive 15 miles to the distribution center to pick up packages. All independent shippers add on to the shipping charge for fedex, Dhl, ups. If you want cheap, get a website quote to drop it off at a distribution center, but USPS is more than likely cheaper.

I shipped an early a-body 2 spoke standard steering wheel today and it cost $37…was not really heavy, but the size of the box drove the price up…..crazy!

Print the label online. Most of the delivery services have that. Also they tend to provide discounted rates when printing online.

One thing, If you lie about dimensions or weight, they will sometimes send you a supplemental bill for the difference. As long as you are close, usually not a big deal.

There are stacks of them at my local post office.

Over the weekend @AlaskaJeff posted a wanted ad, I have exactly what he’s looking for, I reply with price, Jeff is good for the deal, BUT I have to check what the shipping cost is. Jeff suggested a flat rate large box I countered with the box they came in was perfect for the job and I would go to the post office and get a quote.

View attachment 1716076374This is the quote. I contacted Jeff and offered to split the shipping cost to make it a better deal. Jeff agreed and the deal was finalized. I seal the box and label and take it to the post office today. I hand the exact same box over the counter, it gets scaled, I am told the price,

View attachment 1716076377 I explained that is not what I was quoted the day before and showed the previous quote. The lady explained that the box was not measured and I told her it was measured, she then explained that the measurements were not added so it was not done properly.
So I asked her how much for ground delivery,View attachment 1716076379 I told her the part inside didn’t cost that much and a deal had already been made and I wasn’t shipping it for either of those amounts. So I contacted Jeff and told him because I can’t send pictures in a PM or run a discussion on his wanted ad was going to post in the general.
Shipping cost is gotten worse than ever and making it hard to get things out.
Jeff and I will discuss this and I have already told him if he wants a refund I have no problem with it.
USPS Sucks.
usps is $$$$$$$$$$$$ pit...GOD forbid anything go thru the hazelwood distribution center many of my packages have been missent or ended up in PARTS UNKNOWN. usps is a private service corporation that needs put down.

Yet strangely we can get items with free shipping from China for $2, while USPS charges $10 for shipping the same within U.S. (Small Flat-Rate box). It would cost us $$$ to ship it to China. Has to do with international postage agreements. I've read that USPS is obligated to deliver foreign packages at no charge, with the shipper only paying Chinese postage. Supposedly, it balances out, but how many things get mailed to China? Perhaps we subsidize this deal via our much higher rates. I once shipped a manual transmission via DHL from CA to AZ for $70. It was also easy, I just drove to a nearby airport and they had me put the box on their conveyer with a label. But DHL stopped doing non-commercial shipping a decade ago.

-
Back