USS Lexington found

-
Very cool! Thanks for the link. My grammas brother served in the US Navy, waaaýyy back. I believe started in San Diego. I met him in 85 while in Cali on a trip with my mom. He showed me pics of the Apollo recovery capsule. He was on that mission.
Very cool. Sad he had Alzheimer's.
67 Dart Dart GTS in the driveway. My cousin (his son) took me across to Tijuana....wow
I've tried online to find info on my Great Uncle with no luck. Gramma is still alive(96 this year) I would like to find info for her.
Suggestions?
Thanks, sorry for hijack.

How do you lose an aircraft carrier when you yourself scuttle it? I think 'Lost' is a mis-statement

The article states...

"More than 200 sailors died after the ship sank following an attack by Japanese Achi D3A carrier bombers. More than 2,000 sailors were evacuated from the ship before it sank." I hope we didn't sink it on purpose, but...

Too bad it had to be Paul Allen involved................ I'm not sure why it needed to be found at all. It is a gravesite. There will be no salvage, and if the actual location becomes know (likely already is) it may invite illegal "recoveries" and other money-making schemes

The fires on board after the Japanese attack got out of control and the ship had to be abandoned. You don't abandon a ship in a combat zone and leave it for the enemy to recover. The death of USS Hornet after the Battle of Santa Cruz is a very telling story of scuttling a Yorktown Class (Lexington was not) carrier on the battlefield, and the condition the Japanese found it in (they sank it).

Being US Navy property, it is unlikely anything will be salvaged. They are hyper-anal about anything that was in their inventory as technically, it still is. If anything is recovered, it will be with the strict consent and supervision of USN personnel as they have very specific guidelines about recovering their property. Which is a shame too: Other than one rotting away off the coast of Palm Beach FL and two slowly becoming coral reefs off Jaliut in the Pacific, these are the only known Douglas TBD Devastator torpedo planes in existence. Nearly the entire squadron was on board when Lady Lex went down and it was believed that finding the ship would reveal a wealth of TBDs that were not shot down and destroyed. It seems it is the case. No Devastator survived 1944; they were relegated to training squadrons and systematically scrapped after Midway. Not only that, but the F4F was "Butch" O'Hare's aircraft. He won the MOH in this ride by shooting down 5 Japanese "Betty" bombers in a row while in the process of attacking the Lexington in an earlier skirmish. FYI-O'Hare Field in Chicago was named after him and there is a replica of this plane (real plane, spurious markings) on display in the terminal.

This is a helluva find. I didn't know if it would happen in my lifetime. All us TBDnuts have our fingers crossed that the USN will relent and let someone raise one and restore it for display.

28472222_2052877361661257_4661348891431227729_n.jpg

28576122_10211896484473421_5639735188603797504_n.jpg

edit: A correction. The F4F photographed in the debris field was flown by Noel Gaylor. Three of the four kill flags on the fuselage were credits for three Betty bombers shot down in the same action when O'Hare received the MoH. Gaylor retired an Admiral and passed away in 2011.

F-5_1-1.jpg

Last edited:
We scuttled it so it would not get captured by said Japs. the Dead souls were most likely killed when it was attacked. It still is a final resting place so may more sympathetic heads prevail. We did raise the nose of the Soviet K-129 with "6" bodies...possibly more but the whole thing is still classified Top Secret.

-
Back