V10 engines

-
Looking to trade my o4 half ton ram for a 02 v10 3/4 ton ram. Wondering how good the v10 engines are

It's not the SRT10 v-10 !! Iron Block,a few goodies out there for them like headers !!They DO NOT INTERCHANGE w/gen 2 !! Why not check into the 05-06 QC SRT10's,more bang for the buck !!

100_0870.jpg

100_0869.jpg

SRT10033.jpg

Stealth_001.jpg

Ryan we have a Gen 1 V-10 in ours and its a great engine just a pain to work on

I've only ever heard one guy speak ill of the v10, and it was a generic comment, "they're no good" or something like that. He drove an F350. I later realized he must have been confused with the Triton V10.

OK that's what I figure it was a pain to work how does it tow that mostly y I want it the half ton ram don't pull to well

It depends on how big of a trailer you plan to pull and how often you plan to pull one. Back in '96 I had a friend that bougth a new V10 truck and when he pulled his trailer the truck would downshift and upshift everytime he came to an incline. We switched his trailer to my diesel and within 2 years he traded his V10 for a diesel. My suggestion would be to test drive that V10 pulling your trailer and see how well it would work out for you.

It pulls ok but its a gas hog

I guess it depends on how much one uses the truck. Gasoline powered 2nd Gen Rams sell very cheap where I live. I got a fairly (doors starting to go) nice 2001 SLT 5.9 Magnum 2500 4wd quad cab for under $2k. For the amount of use the truck gets, it would be quite a long time before I would break even by stepping up to a diesel. And at only $2k, I'm not too worried about depreciation, either.

I've got a '95 2500 V10 and it's always pulled our 32' 5th Wheel with no trouble at all. It is a bit of a gas hog as previously said - best mileage empty has been 14mpg.

I bought a 94 V10 dually and loved it. It would lay 4 black stripes for a ways. I smoked a 300 ZX from redlight. It averaged 12-13 mpg and best of 15.78 going to Mopar Nationals. It was destroyed in F-5 tornado 4/8/98 along with everything else I owned. I ordered a 98 V10 supposedly just like the first one but they changed the transmissions to electronic shifting which I don't care for because it will change gears at 50 mph regardless. It will pull my lowboy trailer and Deere 650 dozier which is close to 30,000 lbs. I only did that a couple of times for short distances just to prove to a neighbor who had been arguring that I should have bought a Ford diesel like his but couldn't get him to hook his Ford to it. This 98 only gets 11-11.5 and best about 13. It has over 150,000 mi and has never been back to dealer for repairs. I change oil every 5,000 mi and doesn't use any between, enough said,Joe

I bought a 94 V10 dually and loved it. It would lay 4 black stripes for a ways. I smoked a 300 ZX from redlight. It averaged 12-13 mpg and best of 15.78 going to Mopar Nationals. It was destroyed in F-5 tornado 4/8/98 along with everything else I owned. I ordered a 98 V10 supposedly just like the first one but they changed the transmissions to electronic shifting which I don't care for because it will change gears at 50 mph regardless. It will pull my lowboy trailer and Deere 650 dozier which is close to 30,000 lbs. I only did that a couple of times for short distances just to prove to a neighbor who had been arguring that I should have bought a Ford diesel like his but couldn't get him to hook his Ford to it. This 98 only gets 11-11.5 and best about 13. It has over 150,000 mi and has never been back to dealer for repairs. I change oil every 5,000 mi and doesn't use any between, enough said,Joe

One of my friends (RIP) had a '95 V10 ClubCab Longbed, that truck was a beast. The power levels were insane for a truck that size and he hauled some heavy stuff for us on that truck.

I'm laughing about the dozer bit too, because my dad was a contractor for years (before he became a mechanic) And the work truck was a 1975 Dodge W300 ClubCab Dually Dumptruck with a 318/727/203 and he used it to haul materials, crew and tow a JD350 Dozer on a Tri-Axle lowboy. But some of the ford guys on the crew wouldn't even attempt to hook the lowboy to any of their trucks :finga:

when I bought the 94 V10 there was a service station across the street that had a sign with prices of gas and diesel. I ran some figures if the V10 got 10 mpg and the diesel got 20 mpg and I drove 20,000 mi a year it would have taken me 6.9 years or 137,000 mi to recover the difference in price of the engine alone not counting any interest. At that time there wasn't many stations selling diesel and you could buy gas at any of them. I had rather listen to the radio than the rattling engine. I have a 2001 2500 service truck with cummings which has loads of torque but I still like the V10 especially the way the price of diesel has passed gasoline.

Lucky if I put 3500 miles a year on my truck, the extra $$ I spend on fuel is not a big deal. I set the cruise at 75 and the truck just motors up everything I have thrown at it with the trailer and car behind it, does not even unlock the convertor or shift out of od. Thing is, in your analogy, at 137 k the gas motor is probably going to be a bit tired, the diesel will just be getting comfortable. Different strokes for different folks......

I 01 cummings gets over 18 mpg and I ran it across scales at 10,340 pounds. It stays loaded all the time with tools, fuel tank, compressor extra hydraulic oil and etc so I am satisfied with that mpg. I am not knocking either one, both have served me well, Joe

Like most others have said, "bad gas milage" Bought one new in '01 extended cab 3/4 ton auto 4.10 gears. Pulled like a freight train with a Lance camper in the bed and a 24' car trailer behind. Tipped the scales at 18,000 + lbs. 6 mpg on a good day,around 14 mpg empty.
Put about 60,000 miles on it and the only problem was carrier bearings went out twice in the rear. Both times fixed under warranty.Was traveling alot and stepped up to the Dually Diesel Ram with a stick. If not for long distance travel would have kept the V-10.

It pulls ok but its a gas hog
Yup, will pass everything but a gas station. I'd go diesel if I was to tow all the time but for just occasional use the V10 is just fine and it's much cheaper to buy.

And the gas will be much cheaper on parts. Frigging new injectors for my Duramax, last I looked were close to $400 a pop. Luckily I got a buddy that works at Napa, $250 each.

To me a V10 is right in the middle and worthless.

They work well enough. I towed a 40 foot trailer with my Dart in it out to Vegas and back with a V10. It did the job but sucked down the gas doing it and any time I hit even a small grade she slowed down big time. A few of the big long grades I could of walked up faster. LOL

Just depends on what your doing with the truck. If your not pulling a heavy load that often it would be ok but then I bet you could get a way with a V8.

And if your pulling a lot of weight more often I would go Diesel. I traded my V10 for one and never looked back. Better MPG and more power. Then I put an intake, exhaust, and chip on it. Yeeehaa!

Looking to trade my o4 half ton ram for a 02 v10 3/4 ton ram. Wondering how good the v10 engines are

Ryan,
my 97 ram 3500 v10 ran like crap.but the truck is perfect for a Cummins swap.

Im running an 01 235 HP Cummins using the v10 trans and driveline. Made it a different truck, ask your dad.

CIMG4948-1.jpg

CIMG4965-1.jpg

I've had two Cummins trucks, a V10 and two Duramax trucks. I loved my V10, pulled my trailer just fine but it wasn't a 4wd otherwise I'd probably still have it. Getting a 30 ft enclosed trailer into my yard proved to be too much to ask of it.

I loved my Cummins trucks also. I also really like my Duramax/Allison truck. It's all in what you're doing with it. Pulling an open trailer with a V10 makes sense, pulling a really large/heavy trailer, especially in the mountains does not.

To me a V10 is right in the middle and worthless.

They work well enough. I towed a 40 foot trailer with my Dart in it out to Vegas and back with a V10. It did the job but sucked down the gas doing it and any time I hit even a small grade she slowed down big time. A few of the big long grades I could of walked up faster. LOL

Wow, really. I have a 95 extended cab 2500 V-10 and it's a beast. I pulled our 30' Dutchman 5th wheel all through the mountains in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont upstate New York and the hills in PA. No trouble pulling the hills, in fact I never hit one that set me below 55 going over the top.

It pulls just as good as my 03 Hemi Ram Quad Cab.

I will however agree on the gas mileage, I averaged about 7 MPG pulling my 5th wheel. 10 on a good day truck alone.

I think the V10s sound like craptastic total dog doodoo. And there's not a lot you can do to make them better. Other than that, they're ok.

I worked for dodge for years the v10 has small oil ports and alot of crankshaft trouble when the miles get past 100,000 find a good used cummings mine has 250,000 and runs like new great mileage and tons of power

-
Back