v8 kframe vs Schumacher kit

-

1994rm250

Reaction score
hey guys i have a Schumacher kit and a v8 Kframe wat do you guys beleve i should use ? i bought the kit but yet i have a v8 kframe thanks angelo

It would be less work to use the mounts, they work great and fit well. If you are planning a front suspension rebuild you could swap the k-frame at the same time.

It really depends on which Schumacher mounts, which V8 k-member, and what engine you are using.

It really depends on which Schumacher mounts, which V8 k-member, and what engine you are using.

True! When I mount a 440 in my '68 barracuda I decided to use the schumacher mounts since it's not that easy to find a big block a body K member at the yard. Either way, had to modify the passenger side mount to make the engine fit. I am using TTI Headers and the right header at first touched the torsion bar. Had to lower the RH mount to make it fit. Besides, no mayor issue with the Schumachers. If you're into SB go with the conversion mounts, less work and great results.

Which V8 k-member also refers to small block units for 67, 68-72, 73-76. All different in one way or another.

Well, if it's a 71 k-member I'd probably use Schumacher mounts or make my own. By contrast every big block build that I have done was with a home-built Direct Connection k-member, which is a mocified 73-76 V8 k-member. Much cheaper and uses factory mounts.

correct me if I am wrong, you are going to have to get schumacher mounts if you change the K frame anyways. No big block will bolt right up to an a body K member unless it is from a 1967, 1968, 1969 440 cuda or dart.

OR

Unless you are useing motor mounts/plate, it which case it doesn't matter what K member you are using.

If you have schumacher mounts that work with the K member that is in the car rigfht now, than just use them.

I am guessing that your car is a /6, and that is why you have this question. Still doesn't change my answer.
Phil

Gussett the steering brackets, the LCA mounting points and fully weld up the seams on the stampings,too. World of difference in the steering/handling

I'm putting a 440 in a '73 Scamp... or at least trying to. I opted to just go with the Schumacher mounts, not only because they were cheaper, but it seemed to be the way to go.

correct me if I am wrong, you are going to have to get schumacher mounts if you change the K frame anyways. No big block will bolt right up to an a body K member unless it is from a 1967, 1968, 1969 440 cuda or dart.
Phil

Ok, here's your correction.

Back around 1975 Direct Connection (the predessessor to Mopar Performance) introduced the D.C. k-member to allow easy installation of a big block into an a-body using factory mounts (74-78 factory passenger car big block units). By 1988 there were four left in the original (and only) run. A friend of mine bought one of those four (for WAY TOO MUCH MONEY - just under $400).

I took a look at it and then started looking around the wrecking yards. It turns out that Chrysler sent out a bunch of poorly made 73-76 small block k-members and hed the motor mount saddles cut off and relocated further back. I picked up a k-member and started building my own k-members, even sold a few. Then around 1992 I discovered that the measurements taken from the actual D.C. k-member were incorrect (slightly). I tweaked the measurements I was using and have been using those since.

So, to wind up a long story. Schumacher mounts still require k-member mods and cost around $150. I can go pull a V8 k-member for $20 at the self serve wrecking yards. I have bought mounts for as low as $10 for the pair.

Instructions on how to make your own D.C. k-member are in the tech pages at www.bigblockdart.com.

OMG SCREWW THE 383....... I JUST GOT A WORKED 440 FOR 600$ on craigslist

1975 Mopar, Dodge, Plymouth, 440 engine. With Edelbrock manifold and Holley 750 carb. Engine casting # 4006630-440-4, block stamp # 6T 440 E. removed from car in running condition. Engine spins freely, all spark plugs look perfect. I removed pan and inspected everything looks great. $600.00 call for more

WHAT DO I DO about the 383 swap kit i got can i use that or mabe resturn it i have had it since september ? ?

it was out of a 1970 challenger t/a ( idk why they put a 75 in it ) and it was stolen out of a self storage garage. the body was all restored !

383 and 440 use the same mounts. You don't have an issue except some clearances just tightened up and others loosened a bit.

here is the Motor

3k93p43l5ZZZZZZZZZ91q5122ed3562cf13.jpg

3n63k43p3ZZZZZZZZZ91q3d3c9931aba413.jpg

3nb3ka3m6ZZZZZZZZZ91q88ff921d291218.jpg

Jim,
So if I go looking for a V8 k-frame what year would work and does it have to be A body? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to this and have a 67 fastback barracuda that I bought with a 440 w/auto out of a motor home that is not installed yet.

Bob

Bob, the Direct Connection k-member was based on the 73-76 V8 unit. If you go this route visit the tech pages at www.bigblockdart.com. There are instructions and pictures of the mods necessary. If you were in this area I'd point you in the direction of one that has been in a self serve yard for a couple of months. I haven't had the energy or time to go grab it.

I was looking over that page and saw the pictures. Does cutting and rewelding the mounts in place hurt the integrity of the motor mounts? Would there be any issues with the new seams coming appart?

j

-
Back