V8 on 73 up k member?

-

kegr2010

Reaction score
Does any one know how to install a 318/340 on a 73 up k member. Schumacher doesn't make mounts anymore and the ones they did make were for 72 and earlier k member. I don't want to change the k member if I don't have to. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge that's what keeps this hobby alive. Car has 73 slant 6 k member in it currently.

Last edited:
As long as its a V8 K frame and not a slant six, its simple. (For a 340)You just get a set of 340 or 73+ 360 mounts or you can use 318 mounts but you will have to shim one side with washers.
If you have a slant K its going to take some modifications since one mount on a slant sits higher.

As long as its a V8 K frame and not a slant six, its simple. (For a 340)You just get a set of 340 or 73+ 360 mounts or you can use 318 mounts but you will have to shim one side with washers.
If you have a slant K its going to take some modifications since one mount on a slant sits higher.
Yes my car has the slant 6 k member in it. I want to put a small block in without changing the k member.

Does any one know how to install a 318/340 on a 73 up k member. Schumacher doesn't make mounts anymore and the ones they did make were for 72 and earlier k member. I don't want to change the k member if I don't have to. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge that's what keeps this hobby alive. Car has 73 slant 6 k member in it currently.

Take a look at this threads and the link to Engine swaps, give them a call so you can find out when/ if they will be bringing back the spool mount slant 6 to small block conversion mounts.

Schumacher Creative Services

These are the conversion mounts you would want to ask when they will have them again, since I think they are still out of production.
'73+ Poly Spool 273/318 or 340/360 Replacement Kit

These guys are the money behind the product now.
MOTECH Performance

Original company and product that made the mounts available on their own, now still involved, but not on their own.
'73+ A, B, C, F, M, J-Body

I would contact them both, to see what they can tell you about availability, good luck.

Last edited:
Swapping the K is not a big deal once the Engine/trans are out. I mean, com'on it's two T-bars, separate the LBJs, and 4 bolts, and you really want to ditch the slanty bars, and drum brakes anyway; and most likely the steering is all worn out too. So;
Just do it.

I agree, K frame swap is really easy. You can even do it without pulling engine.
I have a slant K frame that Im going to convert to small block. Im pretty sure its just a matter of shortening the mount on one side. One of these days I will get around to it and post the info.

You talking motor mounts? You can get all the parts for a full rebuild for about 400 bucks, ball joints, tie rods, pitman, idiler, bushing kit and whatnot. Rock auto parts lookup is one of the better, you can take a part number the the local parts store and they can cross reference…

ED94CF0F-C732-478F-8395-78E7E5F43E5A.png

-
Back