vacuum amplifier-'73 dart sport../6

-

drauhut

Reaction score
I believe it is called a vacuum amplifier, but not 100% certain..but there is a "manifold" where all the vacuum hoses terminate, attached to this device. I have tried a few auto parts places to no avail. I am looking for just the "hose harness" portion of this,( but have a feeling I'll have to buy it as a complete unit) as the one I have is brittle and cracked/broken . Temporarily used larger hoses and clamps to couple the broken vacuum hoses, but would like to replace it.

any suggestions on what its called, or hopefully, actual part name /number would be appreciated.

if my description is lousy, I can post a picture of it-it is located on top of the engine, about midway along the rocker cover where all the vacuum lines converge.

thanks

Dave

The item circled in green in the photo below is the vacuum amplifier on my 73 Dart. The only vacuum manifolds I know of are the "harmonica" controlled by the mode select lever of the A/C controls and the intake manifold vacuum plug that screws into the intake manifold. The original part number for this is 1859 127.

Attachments

• IMG_5063S.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 714
The 'hockey puck' shaped vacuum amplifier on the valve cover is the one I am familiar with. The item circled looks more like a vacuum reservoir, perhaps for power brakes?

2 Darts- Mine does not have that item, but the one I'm trying to source is located to the right of the PCV valve on the rocker cover. All my vacuum hoses branch out from it...I will post a picture of it this weekend.
AJ FormS and nm9stheham..sounds like that might be the one I'm looking for

thanks guys........have my new HEI almost done, will test it this weekend, and maybe when the snow is gone I can pull the old girl out.

Confusion confusion.

The vacuum amplifier is used to operate the EGR valve. One hose goes to ported vacuum on the carb, one goes to manifold vacuum on the intake and the third goes to the EGR by way of a temperature vacuum switch located either in the head adjacent to the temp sender or or in the radiator tank. They were used at least as early as 1973 because my Valiant has one.

It's job is to boost the vacuum signal to the EGR valve and also diverts the vacuum signal from ported to manifold at WOT.

Unfortunately you won't find one new. However you should be able to plenty of good one by posting a want ad here because that's one of the first things to go when people want to "clean up" the engine bay. I have one somewhere but I'm keeping it until they are rare and I can sell it for a lot of money like other people do.

The tank circled in the pic ain't it. That's the vacuum reservoir for the Heat and air controls. Power brakes don't use a separate reservoir.

I stand corrected. One of my books calls the circled item a vacuum amplifier, but the factory parts manual calls it a vacuum reservoir. :eek:ops: There is a vacuum amplifier on the A/C, but it's located inside the car.

The factory parts manual lists two numbers for the hockey puck er...vacuum amplifier. These are the old part numbers from the 73 Parts Manual.

3671 424 Up through Dec 72.
3769 219 After Dec 72

These are unique to the /6. Other models used a similar device, but they have different part numbers. This vacuum amplifier is part of the EGR system.

A PO of my 73 did a half fast (sic) job of removing some of the emission control systems on the car, so I don't have one to take a picture of.

I got rid of all that crap on the wife's 73 dart. I have one hose running directly to the vacuum advance on the distributor.

thanks for the replies guys, not ignoring you, just gone through a shitty couple of weeks. should be able to get back to this on the weekend

thanks

Yeh. The hockey puck thing with hoses is the amplifier, or more correctly, relay I would think "as to function." The round dealie on the fender is a tank, nothing but an empty cavity. Part of it's job is to keep the heater, AC other vacuum stuff working when you press on the gas and the manifold vacuum drops.

To the OP. Do you need this for an emissions inspection or for "resto correct" look? Otherwise I'd figure a way around it.

Yeh. The hockey puck thing with hoses is the amplifier, or more correctly, relay I would think "as to function." The round dealie on the fender is a tank, nothing but an empty cavity. Part of it's job is to keep the heater, AC other vacuum stuff working when you press on the gas and the manifold vacuum drops.

To the OP. Do you need this for an emissions inspection or for "resto correct" look? Otherwise I'd figure a way around it.

just figured it was required, having 2 hoses go the carb . but if its not needed I'll scrap it. do I just plug the lines going to the carb and intake?

very sorry for not responding earlier, I honestly missed the question at the bottom

not for emission testing, just trying to figure out how to get around the brittle hoses, other then the Mcguivering it..think I will try to bypass the whole thing and hook distributor vacuum up to carb like another reply suggested.it that works I'll try removing the whole thing.
very sorry for not responding earlier, been a really bad couple of weeks on the homefront..poor excuse I know.

-
Back