Vacuum Brake Bleeder?

-

Mike69cuda

Mopar Moron
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just bought a hand pump vacuum brake bleeder. Does anyone use these? System was empty after replacing brake hoses & master cylinder. Bled master cylinder before install. My hand went numb with the manual bleed pump before I got any fluid out. Wound up using my electric vacuum pump. Then it started working.

Got so much foam and bubbles from air leaking around the bleeder screw, couldn’t tell when air was out of system. Is there some technique I don’t know?

I attach a piece of vacuum hose to the bleeder screws and put it in a small glass jar with brake fluid in it about 1/2" deep. Submerge the end of the hose in the fluid. Open the bleeder screw and let someone pump the pedal until you get no more air bubbles. Close the bleeder screw and move on.

I attach a piece of vacuum hose to the bleeder screws and put it in a small glass jar with brake fluid in it about 1/2" deep. Submerge the end of the hose in the fluid. Open the bleeder screw and let someone pump the pedal until you get no more air bubbles. Close the bleeder screw and move on.
Yeah, that is what I have done for years. I was looking for a one man solution since my wife doesn’t like climbing into car while it is on lift.

The vacuum method worked, but just wasn’t what I expected.

Yeah, that is what I have done for years. I was looking for a one man solution since my wife doesn’t like climbing into car while it is on lift.

The vacuum method worked, but just wasn’t what I expected.
Then just use a long piece of vacuum hose.

Teflon tape on the bleeder threads.
Leave bleeder closed, pump up vacuum 15 - 20 ish, open bleeder, - close bleeder, repeat .
Love mine ,.
I use carb vacuum sometimes, on mohos etc.

Last edited:
High temp Teflon thread sealant works well on the bleeeder screws, too. I prefer push bleeding. You use a big pump oiler can full of fluid with a connecting tube and pump pressure from the rear brake bleeders and work forward unit you fill the master cylinder. No bench bleeding required.

I have wasted cash on Miytivac type and one hooked to my air compressor "Not" the kettle style I used as a mechanic but a venturi type from Harbor freight!

None have given total satisfaction! I need the Miytivac for other reasons, But the best method for me over the years is the gravity method followed by the tried and true manual 2 person method! JMO!

I never have a helper so I gravity bleed with good results.

I never have a helper so I gravity bleed with good results.
And its what Chrysler advised their techs for the disks.
:)

1683384018310.png

From TSB 67-5-1 www.hamtramck-historical.com

I usually set up an air lock.
The ones from Mityvac work, but I also have a home made one.

1683383442613.png

1683383599376.png

For a helper, I finally made a tool for the job when there isn't any.
1683383726507.png

Yes the job is a little tedious.
A lot of things are like that. Embrace the suck. LOL

Last edited:
-
Back