Vacuum Pump

-

micboroff

Reaction score
We are in the process of restoring a 74 Duster, have the drivetrain finished but are experiencing a Brake problem. We have Power Steering/ Brakes. Took it out on the road last week & ended up with no brakes. Have been told we need a Vacuum Pump(they are quite expensive). On the old valve cover that we didn't reuse from the 360 we rebuilt, there is a Vacuum Amplifier,wondering if that's what we need? We have a 484/284 Cam installed. Any input on the best way to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx Del:

I'm working on a Challenger right now that appears to have an aux vac reservoir up by the rad.. Hose from base of carb, to a factory looking cannister with one way valve, (no other tubes, hoses attached) then back up to the br booster..

Seems to me, Ferds used to do a similar thing wayyy back

But it sounds like you got other probs to deal with first..

Vacuum pumps are nice, and work well,, but you should be able to bleed it the usual way, one person pumping, another bleeding.. sometimes it just takes a long time,, especially if you didn't bench bleed the M/C first.

If you do get a vacuum bleeder,, remember to put thick grease on the bleeder threads, or it'll suck air past the threads..

He's not bleeding the brakes, he's looking for better vacuum to "supply" the brake booster, AKA Diesel with vacuum power brakes.

To the OP. That "vacuum amplifier" is a poorly named component of smog control, and has nothing to do with actually "amplifying" vacuum.

67Dart273....do you have an idea then of what we need??? Thxs for the info on the Vacuum Amplifier

Why not switch to manual brakes? It's not like you're stopping a freight train.

67Dart273....do you have an idea then of what we need??? Thxs for the info on the Vacuum Amplifier

Not specifically. I know there are options for both electric and alternator driven pumps off diesels, all expensive.

Years ago, on older cars with vacuum wipers, you could get a "dual diaphragm" fuel pump, actually two pumps in one.............one side pumped fuel, the other was vacuum for the wipers

So you might "gamble" and use an electric fuel pump, then use an engine mount fuel pump as a booster. Not sure that would work

Frankly, I'd think about eliminating the booster, as said above. I just got through converting my 67 to front 73/4 disks, along with the disk brake Versailles rear axle.

I just used the original master!!! by running a nail through the rubber seals on the residual valves, and it just works great. My legs are not that strong anymore

If you must have a booster, you might look into something like----my neighbor is going through about a 69 'Stang and it has a TINY (diameter) booster.

If you have PS, look into "hydro boost"

There is an article in the latest Hot Rod about same problem. You didn't say what vacuum readings you have. Do you have a one way check valve in line going to booster? What is your timing set at? Just some food for thought. The easy fix like Rob pointed out is manual brakes.

I hafta admit I was skeptical until I got mine done. It takes a 'firm foot' alright, to lock 'em all up on dry land, but not at all what I'd call excessive. And like I said, my legs are not all that strong, anymore.

I can't walk far, can't be on my feet long, and break out the 'lectric wheelchair for air / car shows or fairs.

Hey thanks for all the input and advise. I think I'm just going to switch to manual brakes. The only reason I wanted power brakes was for my wife. This is her ride. And by the way timing is set at 5 degrees BTC and 484 284 cam. Thanks again

Hey thanks for all the input and advise. I think I'm just going to switch to manual brakes. The only reason I wanted power brakes was for my wife. This is her ride. And by the way timing is set at 5 degrees BTC and 484 284 cam. Thanks again

My goodness. That thing probably needs 20 plus initial.

If you have 15" vacuum or more at idle, a booster should work OK. Check for leaks by pumping it down with a hand Mighty Mite. After-market electric vacuum pumps are >$300. Cheaper might be to get a used one from a later VW diesel. They have one just for the brake booster. Your 74 probably has front disk brakes. Most here say manual brakes is fine, but most women would prefer a booster, and even us men are getting older. All cars I have seen lately have power boost, even small cars. Must be a reason.

thxs everyone, pretty sure I got the brake issue figured out, gonna work on that tomorrow, and thxs for the info on the timing, going to change that up to & see if that makes a difference too

-
Back