Valiant 318 problems

-

Stance

Reaction score
My new (for me) Valiant gives me hard times....What I know, the engine is stock 318 with Carter AFB (4bbl), and 904 trans. She has been not that sweet running when starting cold but after she warms up there has been no problems...Until yesterday: it is almost impossible to get a smooth run - cold or warm engine. With manual choke I get pretty smooth and fast idle when trans in P or N, but when I try to drive it - it stalls. Plugs have very dark, almost black color and dry carbon deposits - running way rich? I checked them a week ago and they were light brown, so something has changed after that. Plugs are previous owners choice: NGK BP5ES. I think I'm going to swap them to Champion N14YC, any suggestions to that?

And that is only the beginning... :cwm10:

Yesterday I was test driving her and suddenly I got a very strange noice: high tone squealing. Sounds like it is coming from the right side, front wheel, could it be front brake? It's not the engine, I only get it when my wheels are turning. It started light but today it is almost constant. Strange coincident: two problems at the same time.

This is driving me nuts.. :sad2: :sad2:

Edit: BTW I have Mopar electronic ignition.

SOunds like a fuel problem. First, the sudden change could be a clogged/dirty carb. Second, a fine tune to the carb is probably in order. An electric choke is an excellent addition to the carb. You can raid parts from a Edelbrock or purchase new. You'll just need the rod and E-choke with screws to mount it on the side. Set it forget it. No real advantage in a manual choke.

I agree, rebuild the carb. It's not fuel injection, so they can be fine one second, then run cruddy the next should something get in the wrong place at the inopportune time.

Sounds like the carb has developed a vacuum leak and this is why the car is running so poorly and the reason that the plugs have changed colors. I would check the base gasket at the carb before I would go any further, this can be done by spraying carb cleaner or wd-40 around the base of the carb, then if the engine smoothens out then replace the base gasket and your done. Keep us up on whats going on.

BJR Racing

Ok I'll check the carb first and keep you posted when there's something new. Thank you!

-
Back