Votes: 50 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
now that the new dart is out and available in 4 door only, its not much of an insult on the original dart which was actually intended to be compact economy car in its birth as an A-body. So a new dart that takes the role of a compact 4 door economy car is really no new concept.

the Dart's cousin the Plymouth valiant also has the genetic make up of a purpose built compact economy car.

so which one ....the dodge dart or the Plymouth valiant has a longer standing reputation as a workhorse mile maker, which one made a better family car and would be seen as a the car that can take the abuse of a family and still keep on being ol' reliable ?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 470
  • 2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 486
  • 3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 481
  • 4.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 495
  • 1D.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 502
  • 2D.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 478
  • 3D.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 476
  • 4D.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 471
Nice pictures, Rani! If you are talking both being the same year, you are just splitting hairs over personal preference in body styles. The slant six was the common power pack, and as years went on the V8's were plentiful and popular hot rods were developed from both. The Dart GTS, Dart Demon, Dart Sport and the Valiant barracuda, Valiant Duster, are legends that we all admire. How the simple Dart/Valiant has entertain the motor heads for years.

Our Dart has served our family for 45 years and counting. I am biased however.

My dad spent many years working for "Ma Bell' in the northwest covering safety issues in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. The three cars they bought as fleet cars were the Valiant, Falcon, and Chevy II. His hands down favorite car for driving many miles was the Valiant. He was 6'2" tall and was very uncomfortable in the other cars.
So for a workhorse car, the Valiant with it's "million mile motor" is the car to beat.

I knew of 2 mail carriers that said back in the day the Dart/Valiant was the go to car for mail routs :coffee2:
And I can agree that my Valiant (66 model) will let a 6'3'' person drive and ride in it just fine, I took it for granted till one day a friend took a ride with me to the line (I live in a dry county) to get refreshments and he could not believe the the nice ride and he said I can't believe the head and led room this old car has.
I enjoy my Plymouth but if I was to have to pick between the early Dodge Dart or the Plymouth Valiant the Dart has a sportier look, but I have the best of the best one year only Valiants made :cheers: My 66 makes my hart throb :eek:ccasion:

Do you have to make things soooo hard! I'm biased. Now a day's people know what a Dart is, but I'm afraid a lot don't know what a Valiant is. So I think the Dart is probably more popular.

so which one ....the dodge dart or the Plymouth valiant has a longer standing reputation as a workhorse mile maker, which one made a better family car and would be seen as a the car that can take the abuse of a family and still keep on being ol' reliable ?

Well....they ARE the same car, but.....I think the valiant is mostly seen as the "fleet" car, the gov't/military/postal car, bare-bones non-sporty workhorse. The Dart is a more well-known name among the general public though, and could be decked out as a strippo government fleet car too and just as easily slip into something more sporty, like the GT or GTS. So if less of the general non-mopar public are aware of what a valiant even IS, compared to a dart, it would lose in the long-standing reputation dep't.

I think the Dart is more of a family car. Even the name has a little more sportiness than valiant.

Twins, maybe not identical,but twins just the same.As a parent that had(s) Darts and Valiants you love them just the same......!

I would say the Dodge Dart by a whisker.
Dodges tend to be more upscale cars than Plymouths and were taken better care of, therefore lasting longer over the long haul.
I think the Dart is a slightly better looking car overall too......

As far as an economy car - either. I voted Valient, cause I have a Plymouth. No other reason.

When you add family to the requirements - I think the pole should have been 'sedan' vs 'wagon'. The latter being my choice.

I did see speculation that there may eventually be a new Dart wagon. It was to be released first in China as a Fiat Viaggio. Don't know if that has or will happen

I voted Plymouth because like Mike my family owned the one-year bodystyle '66 Valiant and it was my Mom's daily driver for 30 years. She says she didn't plan on keeping the car that long but there was just no reason to replace it.

The Dart's slightly longer wheelbase could arguably make it a better 'family' car.
But the Valiant had a slightly lower base price.

So to me they are the same.

for an economy family car i would have to say the valiant was better. only because im pretty sure it was cheeper then the dart and i do know it can hold 6 fully grown people. but people have forgotten what a valiant is so the dart wins in the reputation category.

24 to 24 :cheers: we are all tied up :eek:ccasion: I forgot to vote till now :D
And yes I went with Plymouth..

One of each I say.

I have a 1970 Dart already, it needs a 1970 Valiant to keep it company. I would love to find one in excellent original condition, one with a 3-speed on the floor preferred since my Dart is an automatic.

-
Back