Value of Mopar 8 3/4 center section with 4.56 gears ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I've got a 8 3/4 center section, that has 4.56 and is posi unit. The case number is #2 742. it also has the large yoke for the big u-joints. It's been stored in a cabinet for 13 years. No longer need it. But can use the cash it will generate. So . what's a good working used 8 3/4 #2 case 4.56 posi worth ?

Which SureGrip unit is in it? That makes a difference, a cone style unit will yield you about $500, with the clutch style SG you could add about $100 to that price, about $600!

That would be a good honest asking price for the like condition center section.

Not a gear that most people are interested in.

I'd say if you could get 450 for it with a clutch sure grip you are doing well. If it was a 3.55 or 3.91, then 600 isn't out of the question with a clutch SG.

Not a gear that most people are interested in.

I'd say if you could get 450 for it with a clutch sure grip you are doing well. If it was a 3.55 or 3.91, then 600 isn't out of the question with a clutch SG.
I price I'd rather pay and I would quickly let go of the monies if it were in good shape.

I agree that there's far more demand for a streetable gear ratio and that it'd sell faster with something between a 3.23 to a 4.10. All it takes is one person looking for the 4.56s to get you a sale though. As far as amount to value it, the lower you price it the quicker it will sell. I don't think $600 is an insane price but it'd move a lot faster at $250 (imho).

Now, my $600 estimate isn't what I think it's worth, it's the asking price I see waaay too often!! I agree, it only takes one buyer, usually a racer, to be looking for that gear and it would be a sale!!

My rule of thumb always used to be a gear in the 3's was in the $300 range ( 3:23 was $300, 3:55 was $350 and 3:91 was $375), and a gear in the 4's was in the $400 range! Times have changed some, but those prices aren't too far off!!

I've got a 8 3/4 center section, that has 4.56 and is posi unit. The case number is #2 742. it also has the large yoke for the big u-joints. It's been stored in a cabinet for 13 years. No longer need it. But can use the cash it will generate. So . what's a good working used 8 3/4 #2 case 4.56 posi worth ?
Gears are pretty easy to change, if its clutch type, and 742, I'd say 400 to 500

$250 if you want it to sale this weekend, $300 if you want it to sale this week, $450 if you're in no hurry to sell if ever.

One Million Dollars.jpg

$250 if you want it to sale this weekend, $300 if you want it to sale this week, $450 if you're in no hurry to sell if ever.
I agree with this statement. You have ti be crazy to spend 400 to 500 dollars for a rear pumpkin and then spend all that extra money to re place the gears. There is not much demand for 4.56s anymore.

I've been out of racing for a long time (early 80's) . back then a 4.56 was one of the most wanted gears. What's changed ? Why are 4.56 no longer in demand ?

I've been out of racing for a long time (early 80's) . back then a 4.56 was one of the most wanted gears. What's changed ? Why are 4.56 no longer in demand ?

That's a good question. I'm guessing it's because of the prevalence of stroker motors that may not need such a short gear???

Spring Fling price for that in a plastic to go box, about $750. I didnt see many takers and the guy had about 15 of them.

What series carrier? A 3 series carrier using a spacer will take the lower numeric gears. A 4 series wont.

post a picture of the gears. Mostly both sides of the teeth on the ring and the pinion gear. That is what will determine the worth. Racers use 4.56's just not with the sure grip. Sell the case and ring gear separate and the clutch style unit would sell fast. Mark the caps as per what side they came off. and keep the races with the bearing they came from. $150 for the sure grip. $250 for the case and gears. And they will go quick.

I am running 4.56 in a 742 case with a light weight spool in this small block stroker . So for some racers Spares are always nice to carry along in the trailer when the car is heavy if you know what i mean.

-
Back