valve body difference between 67 and 68

-

Vinz.Clortho

Reaction score
New here. My convertible has been sitting for 6 years. Finally had enough savings to get her going. New paint and rebuild, upgrades and mods to the enging (last thing my first mechanic did before he died). Just have the tranny performance rebuild which is going on now. My other mechanic buddy bought a B&M shift improvement kit from Summit. I don't know who screwed up but the kit covers some 727's, 904 w/ slant 6 from 66'-... and 904 v8 from 68'-... I have a 67' w/273ci and a 904 that was manufactured the same year. I didn't know there was a problem until I installed the separator plate. On that plate, the two outer bolt holes that line up with the bolt holes on both sides of the pressure regulator valve and the converter valve did not come anywhere near lining up (about 1/2'' off) with the holes on the transfer and casting plate. I continued to assemble it with no ploblems until the last bolt. it had enough interference from the separator plate that it would have taken a whack with a hammer to get it past the plate. So before I buy a new kit (it doesn't even look like summit has one for the 67) can anyone tell me the difference between the 67 and 68 valve bodies for the 904 with a v8 (and any other pertaining details) and do I need/where can i get the correct kit? Am anxious to get this on the road but i can't afford a disaster.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Vinz

I can't tell you the diff. but if it were me I'd send back the B&M kit and get a Trans-go TF-2 kit. Much better kit. Little more work installing it and it costs a little more but it addresses issues the B&M kit doesn't. I've even seen B&M kits (a couple others too) cause shift overlap which is extremely detrimental to a trans.

Oh Yeah, the Trans-go kit doesn't send a new separator plate. You just drill a couple places on your old one. That would solve your issue with the separator plate.

when you put the three valve body pieces together install all the bolts just a few treads then tighten them.

That is a good tip Bob but if it's truly 1/2" off like he said there must be some big difference. I recently ran into that when trying to use a separator plate from a 78 valve body in a 74 valve body. It was no where close to being compatible.

...............Yes, there was a kit for ur trans, but i dont think they make it any more, as Tracy says, Trans-Go has great kits, from mild to wild.........kim.........

Thanks for the feedback. Trans-go it is, then. If interested I've attached pics of the mis-alignment and deformed hole from tightening bolt.

Vinz

Attachments

• deformed hole from tightening.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 93
  • missing bolthole.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 66
-
Back