valve guide clearance

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
14 valves seem perfect in their guides, no movement whatsoever. 2 have just a hint of movement without the seals, cant see it but you can barely feel it. Is it safe for a weekend cruiser? 3/8 Miloden stainless street valves in X heads. Thanks.

14 valves seem perfect in their guides, no movement whatsoever. 2 have just a hint of movement without the seals, cant see it but you can barely feel it. Is it safe for a weekend cruiser? 3/8 Miloden stainless street valves in X heads. Thanks.

If the guide is cast iron (or the originals bored into the cast head) you'll want .002-.0025. If you have a liner or bronze guide, then you'll want .0015-.002.
Any less and you need to have appropriate seal and oil flow or you will stick a valve in most cases with a 3/8 stem.
Brian

would .002 (cast) be discernable as "lateral movement" or does it have to be seen on a mic bore guage ( I dont have one anyway). Thanks again.

I doubt you'll feel .002". If you can feel it I'd guess it's at least twice that.

would .002 (cast) be discernable as "lateral movement" or does it have to be seen on a mic bore guage ( I dont have one anyway). Thanks again.

Best way to guage clearance is with a guide bore guage. But you can also use a pilot for seat cutting to get close...

-
Back