Valve lengths

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the exhaust valve length on small block Mopar J heads, X heads, W2 econo heads. I have a couple sets of valves I want to list and I’d like to see if the fit any of these applications. Preferably for 1.60 valve size heads. Thanks.

Yep, that would be good to know. I ordered new valves for my 273 and didn't pay attention to length compared to the stockers. We had to shim the heck out of the springs and I had rocker sweep issues. SOmeday I may pull the heads and straighten that mess out. May be. But if it ain't broke..............

Melling says 4.974 for my 273 intake valve. A different brand is 4.979. Melling Exhaust is 5.003

Yep, that would be good to know. I ordered new valves for my 273 and didn't pay attention to length compared to the stockers. We had to shim the heck out of the springs and I had rocker sweep issues. SOmeday I may pull the heads and straighten that mess out. May be. But if it ain't broke..............

Melling says 4.974 for my 273 intake valve. A different brand is 4.979. Melling Exhaust is 5.003
So laying a straight edge on the stem ends won't do you a bit of good.

W2 short valve (close to stock length) econo valves

Intake Part# F5050
Head Diameter: 2.020
Steam Diameter: 3/8
Overall Length : 5.050
Tip Length: .225
12 Deg Super Flow

Exhaust Part# F5051
Head Diameter: 1.600
Steam Diameter: 3/8
Overall Length: 5.075
Tip Length: .225
14 Deg Super Flow

W2 long valve heads - econo version and W2 / W5 race versions with flat pedestals for use with offset drilled blocks and shafts

~ 5.28” using Mopar rocker gear.

Later post January 2002 castings that need T&D rocker gear use either 5.14” or 5.35” depending on which T&D rocker package you choose.

Kinda looks like I’m stuck with a Chevy application only. 11/32, 1.60, 4.920. Thanks everyone.

speedmaster pce273.1050 5.011 x 1.60 x 11/32 , used them and their 2.02 intake several time to convert small valve j and other 360 heads to big valve . no issues , my machinist likes them

speedmaster pce273.1050 5.011 x 1.60 x 11/32 , used them and their 2.02 intake several time to convert small valve j and other 360 heads to big valve . no issues , my machinist likes them

This customer wanted 2.055 valves so we went with Liberty Pro series valves. I just ordered another 550.00 worth of 1.60 exhaust valves, 2.055, 2.08, and LS valves.

This customer wanted 2.055 valves so we went with Liberty Pro series valves. I just ordered another 550.00 worth of 1.60 exhaust valves, 2.055, 2.08, and LS valves.
Which valves would you recommend for NZ casting EQ heads? Assuming both work, are the liberty much more expensive than the LS valves?

Which valves would you recommend for NZ casting EQ heads? Assuming both work, are the liberty much more expensive than the LS valves?

You would probably have to go to their site and research the valve lengths and diameter. I’ve never worked on that particular head. I just started getting these as a cheaper option for my customers but after seeing the difference in flow I may be switching over to them. The pro series are more expensive but not that much more per set.

You would probably have to go to their site and research the valve lengths and diameter. I’ve never worked on that particular head. I just started getting these as a cheaper option for my customers but after seeing the difference in flow I may be switching over to them. The pro series are more expensive but not that much more per set.
Are the pro series the ones you are seeing the increased flow from?

-
Back