Not open for further replies.

68fsh

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for a smallblock valve spring compressor tool. The one that can remove the valves with the heads still mounted on the block.

There are going to be some varying opinions, but this one from Harbor Freight works just fine.
I have used it on multiple engines.

Universal Overhead Valve Spring Compressor

image_22167.jpg

That, and a foot or two of nylon rope. Works great.
That's the Rope Trick... remove spark plugs, remove rockers, bring cylinder in question to BDC. insert cotton 3/8" cord into the cylinder till it is mostly full. hand rotate piston toward TDC till the rope is slightly compressed against the face of the valves. use what ever method you like to relieve spring pressure and remove retainers. no chance of valves falling into the cyl

Duh! I missed it too. The assumption was that the OP wanted to remove the springs with the head still on the block since title says "Valve Spring Compressor Tool".

Human nature is so interesting. everyone who replied inserted "spring" into the second sentence of the OPs post, good catch!

That's because it'd be stupid to assume the word spring didn't belong there, especially after the word was used in the first sentence.
Now if he would have left the word spring out of the first sentence it would be a sign that more specific information may be needed to avert disaster.

No, I didn't notice it either.:D

The little hand crank works well. Make sure you have a good air compressor. You can take the shrader valve out of your compression tool and use that to force air into the cylinder. The pressure will keep the valve pushed up, make sure the motor is on a compression stroke and can't turn over. Done it a few times to replace leaking seals on older motors.

remove the crank and broken piston....I like the knob on that HF one. My OEM has a stupid bar that's as thin as a small screwdriver shaft. Ouch!

I have this one and it works great. You have to have the piston at TDC and use air pressure to hold the valve up or use the rope trick. I like it because you can get to the valve stem keepers fairly easily.

COMP Cams Shaft Mount Valve Spring Compressors 5323

View attachment 1715134173
I have one of these as well, but it's a PITA to have to move it from one cylinder to the next. It needs a little re-engineering, to use a full length bar. I used it one time, to install 1116s on my Eddies.
Once the gear is off, you can do this with air and the piston at the bottom ....................but if a valve drops,during seal swapping, it might be gone,:BangHead:

Damn I feel stupid! I needed to remove my springs. Physixx has the tool I was looking for. Thanks gang for all your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back