Valve spring limitations vs Cam selection

-

JoePole1

A dude in a B body
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a set of EQ CH318-B 1.88/1.62 heads that I plan to use on a fresh 5.9 Magnum short block with SpeedPro H655CP flat top pistons .030 overbore. CR will be around 9.4:1. The EQ heads have Comp 26975-16 single valve springs installed and factory rocker set-up. Since the heads have only about 10 hours on them, I would like to work with what I have. My question is what are my limitations and concerns on cam choices with these spring specs? The current coil bind clearance is good. I do not need to go over .525 lift or anything and more likely closer to .500 or under. My plan for the build is a hot street/cruise/corner burner 370HP/425TQ ish running 2400 stall and 3.55 gears. If you want to throw in a cam suggestion from your build experience, that would be a bonus but I will be asking Oregon, Bullet, Schneider, Racer Brown, etc.
Thank You.
Seat pressure is 120# and 325# at 1.160 installed height.
From Comp:
upload_2020-1-28_7-31-27.png

This will be interesting because the cam dictates the spring and not the other way around. Pick your cam and use what spring the manufacturer recommends. I have some double springs on my Speedmasters that probably aren't going to be matched to whatever cam I choose.

Too much spring for a flat tappet juice cam. Great for solid or hyd. roller.

And do yourself a favor... pick three cam companies and choose a cam from their suggestions. You'll go nuts choosing from too many offerings...you'll be like a woman going shoe shopping.

And get a cam made for a .904 lifter...

Cam not determined yet. That is why I am here asking. Looking for information on what I can run with the springs listed.
What range of lift, Duration, valve timing, etc....
I do know this. These heads were used with a custom Comp Roller 279/291 230/238 .499 but only for a few hours as a test mule.
Too radical for my build. Looking for torque and HP lower in the power range. Shooting for more like 1800-5800.

rider.......Car is B Body 3600#.

Hi Guys,
I have a set of EQ CH318-B 1.88/1.62 heads that I plan to use on a fresh 5.9 Magnum short block with SpeedPro H655CP flat top pistons .030 overbore. CR will be around 9.4:1. The EQ heads have Comp 26975-16 single valve springs installed and factory rocker set-up. Since the heads have only about 10 hours on them, I would like to work with what I have. My question is what are my limitations and concerns on cam choices with these spring specs? The current coil bind clearance is good. I do not need to go over .525 lift or anything and more likely closer to .500 or under. My plan for the build is a hot street/cruise/corner burner 370HP/425TQ ish running 2400 stall and 3.55 gears. If you want to throw in a cam suggestion from your build experience, that would be a bonus but I will be asking Oregon, Bullet, Schneider, Racer Brown, etc.
Thank You.
Seat pressure is 120# and 325# at 1.160 installed height.
From Comp:
View attachment 1715460433
Lift and cam type.
120/300 Those are run of the mill solid cam pressures. Fast ramp solids would like 135-140 seat 'depending on usage even more' and hyd stuff likes softer 105-115 seat

No offense guys but all the information has been posted. Hyd roller cam. Comp site says 103 seat pressure. I guess I am more worried about the spring pressure at lift heights. Seems to be high but I am a novice. Comparing to the often used Hughes 1110 with .....
upload_2020-1-28_16-26-42.png

Maybe I am getting seat pressure and installed height pressure confused. What is the difference? Comp shows seat load of [email protected] and Hughes shows installed height 120# @1.66. I'm guessing there is a way to calculate the difference in spring height but would need to factor in spring rate. The Comp is 325#@1.16 but I don't know what lift is at that height. I believe I saw that .520 lift = 1.132 and that would equal 350# in my notes at home. Will have to check. Again...I will shoot for a cam around .500 to suit my needs.

Spring rate is easy to compute for linear coil springs like these:
  • Take the height difference for a spring's data fro 2 different heights (Try to get 2 widely separated heights for best accuracy.)
  • Take the difference in spring pressure at those 2 heights
  • Divide the difference in spring pressure by the difference in height and you have the spring rate.
  • Example here for these comps from their specs:
    • Height diff: 1.78 - 1.16 = .62
    • Pressure diff: 325 - 103 = 222 lbs
    • 222/.62 = 358 lb/in...just like they said
Now you can apply that rate to the pressure difference at the 1.78" closed height vs. the 1.660" target installed height:
358 * .12" = 43 lbs increase in pressure with the smaller installed height

So, actual pressure at 1.66" = 103 + 43 = 146 lbs for seat pressure if you use these Comp springs set at an installed height of 1.660" . Not the same spring as the Hughes....

The Hughes rate can be found in the same way:
Works out the 180 lbs pressure different from seat to .500" open... so rate = 180/.500 = 360 lbs/in.

Same rate, so probably the same spring wire, but a longer free length for the Comp spring that you have. So pressures from seat to open will be higher for the Comps; you're essentially compressing them more all through the range with the lower installed height.

Hope that helps.

That is a huge help Mark!! Thanks. Looks like I can keep these springs after all and I will definitely share this info with the cam grinder. I can also calculate for different lifts. Do you see any issues with the higher spring pressures and Hyd Roller valve train? IE keep it under .*** lift?
I know I am doing this bass ackwards but I would like to go into the cam selection with somewhat of an understanding.

Springs are cheap. Get a cam selected and then buy a spring for that.

Doing it the other way around may cause you to buy a cam that isn't the best for your application.

That is a huge help Mark!! Thanks. Looks like I can keep these springs after all and I will definitely share this info with the cam grinder. I can also calculate for different lifts. Do you see any issues with the higher spring pressures and Hyd Roller valve train? IE keep it under .*** lift?
I know I am doing this bass ackwards but I would like to go into the cam selection with somewhat of an understanding.
You're welcome.... Easy to keep this type of info and understanding under your belt for your future work too.
Mmmm.... I am not the best for the right spring pressures for an HR setup. I will say that it seems perhaps optimistic to use the stock rockers with these.....maybe others will comment on that matter. A lot of all this, pressures, rockers and all, will depend on how high you plan to rev...

The typical range of cams for performance street SBM, is 210 to 240 @.050s. Using 7* as a cam size this works out to 30/7+1=5 sizes. 240 is already pretty big, and 210 is borderline small, so that leaves a new range of say 215 to 235 or 20/7+1=4 sizes.
Typically FTH cams have 45* ramps, so as advertizeds, this would be from 260 to 280.
But a Solid FT might be had with 38* ramps, or less, so .....
Or a Hydraulic roller with 58* ramps, so...

I would be looking to the ICA (Intake Closing Angle)before anything else, because Ica affects the cylinder pressure, which can make or break your combo; and the stinking ramps, as you can see, can cause your Ica to be all over the map. But of course, they gotta be there,lol.
You said;
I do know this. These heads were used with a custom Comp Roller 279/291 230/238 .499 but only for a few hours as a test mule.
Too radical for my build.

In this case the Intake ramps are 279-230=49*; so as far a hydraulic rollers go,this is on the small end of the scale, but it still creates a very late Ica, compared to other types of cams.. It is this late Ica that drops your cylinder pressure and reduces your low-rpm torque.
Now if you got a 230 Solid roller cam of say 38* ramps, then the same 230 could be 268* advertised ,which might have a correspondingly 279/268 x.5=5.5 degree earlier ICA which might be 7 psi higher cylinder pressure.
Ok but you can go get a 268 with slow ramps, and get a 210*@.050, and give up 3 cam sizes of power to get the same 268. How much torque difference is that at low-rpm? not much.
How much power difference is 20* of .050? IDK, maybe 50hp on a 360,depends.
But same Ica, so below about 3000 rpm, very similar torque.

So that's why Ica is so important.

In your case, the Scr may have been designed to work in perfect harmony with that 230cam, creating the most pressure possible for the gas being used, without detonation. Now if you put a smaller cam in there, with an earlier closing Ica, the pressure will go up. Maybe too high for pump gas. So now you have a problem. The Scr will have to be DEcreased to reduce the octane requirement, so that you can actually drive it.
I'm not saying this is the case with your combo.
I'm just saying that you need to be aware of how a small change in one place, can create the need for a big expensive change somewhere else.

Last edited:
Not to get off track here but these heads and the cam listed were used on a bone stock, low mileage magnum 360. Intake was a an M1 and carb I believe the carb was an 850 cfm. Not my build. The TQ and HP was higher up in the RPM range and not what I would consider a decent but not great street engine. I have the dyno numbers somewhere if anyone is curious.

AJ with hyd I go down to 250@006 and with HR down into the 190s

sure Joe post up the dyno for the comp Comp Roller 279/291 230/238 .499 especially if you do a low rpm pull
sort like the guy with the 280 cam in another thread today

Ok, so Joe, I think most of us know what you want to do, And I would be doing the same thing.
In fact I already have. But generally the cam and springs are chosen together, to put the power at the rpm you need it to be. Then the Scr is adjusted to get the most of whatever the Ica comes to on the chosen cam.
But in your case the engines Scr has already been established. So then it is possible to mathematically whip up an Ica number that will get the most from the Scr. And once you have that, it's just a matter of generating a hypothetical cam with that Ica on it, to fill your needs. And the we go shopping for it, or just call a grinder.
But if you also have some springs you want to re-purpose, then the cam selection process can maybe be modified to try and fit them in.
Notice the Ica got pushed to being the second parameter, I don't see that as a particular problem, especially for a 360.

Lets review what you got;putting all the pertinent info on the same page; I took the liberty of cutting and pasting and rearranging stuff.
-a fresh 5.9 Magnum(+.030) engine topped with a set of EQ CH318-B 1.88/1.62 heads, with an I'm assuming PROVEN 9.4Scr.and
-My plan for the build is a hot street/cruise/corner burner 370HP/425TQ ish running 2400 stall and 3.55 gears. and
-Car is B Body 3600#. and
-Looking for torque and HP lower in the power range. Shooting for more like 1800-5800.and
-these heads and the cam listed were used on a bone stock, low mileage magnum 360. -Intake was a an M1 and carb I believe the carb was an 850 cfm. Not my build. The TQ and HP was higher up in the RPM range and not what I would consider a decent but not great street engine. I have the dyno numbers somewhere if anyone is curious. and
-These heads were used with a custom Comp Roller 279/291 230/238 .499; Too radical for my build.
-Cam not determined yet. That is why I am here asking. Looking for information on what I can run with the springs listed.
-What range of lift, Duration, valve timing, etc....

Right away I get a clue;"The TQ and HP was higher up in the RPM range and not what I would consider a decent but not great street engine"
This tells me, well probably everybody, that that 279* cam had a very late Ica, which was killing your bottom end torque. and the 2400 was strangling it, and the 3.55s were forcing the engine to stay in it's chitmode for way too long.So that cam: I'll guess was on a 114 LSA, and if you install that at 110.5 this is what you get;
279/291/114+3.5/57 overlap(56 effective/110 comp/97 extraction/ Ica of70*
installed, it looks like;
Static compression ratio of 9.4:1.
Ica of 70*, and 100ft elevation
Effective stroke is 2.64 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.19:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 141.59
PSI. ......................... 142
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 114 ..................................... 114

And there are your problems; first the low cylinder pressure and second is the 114VP which is waay less than a stock 5.2Magnum of about 124VP or more, perhaps up to 130 so that perfectly explains your opinion of that cam as;"not what I would consider a decent but not great street engine". I don't for a second blame you for ditching that cam. But I did guess at the LSA, for worst case.
So now we know that an Ica of 70*, in this engine,at your Scr of 9.4,is " not a great street engine" ; and you are on the money.... IMO,lol. However, you need close to that cam's .050 specs if you want to get close to your target of 370/425. And that 279 cam already had pretty fast ramps, as far as rollers go. so what do we do?
Well lets back up the bus a bit; you are also handicapping the selection process with the 2400 and 3.55s and 3600# weight. I'm gonna suggest to lower your power expectations so as to not get into another lo-perf bottom end situation, cuz lo cylinder pressure and these handicaps do not play well together. Are you with me?
Ok a minute with the Wallace calculator, and it spit this out;
Ica of 58*/ 100 ft elevation
Effective stroke is 2.93 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.87:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 159.55 PSI. ............... 160
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 143 ........................... 143
I guarantee you these numbers will make you smile.
160psi lets you burn 89 gas at WOT with a tight Quench , 91 without, but of course 87 at cruising.
A VP of 143 is just over the threshold of where the fun starts (140 IMO). So this will light up the tires with that 2400 and 3.55s. This is where I'd like to be.
But it won't make 370/425
If you just gotta get closer to those number, then lets rerun the numbers with the next bigger cam.And I get
Ica of 62, still 100 ft elevation
Effective stroke is 2.84 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.66:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 153.97 PSI. ..................... 154
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 134 ................................. 134
So here we have a burns any gas engine anytime, but the VP is down to 88% of the previous 143VP. This combo will not like the 2400TC. To get the off-the-line performance back, you're looking at, at least a 2800, 3000 would be better; and a 3200 would let you keep the 3.55s.
And this is just one cam size. And it still won't make your numbers.
Ok so, lets see what cam will make the 62* Ica, just for kicks.
My first go-to is the weight and gears. 3600 plus driver? is getting heavy. and 3.55s are keeping the engine in the unproductive range, and the 2400 is killing your take off, so what can I do?
I can see this;
264/270/110+0/47 overlap(44 Effective)/118 comp/115 exhaust, Ica of 62* ..
Ok so; as a roller, the typical ramp might be 58* so this will get you [email protected] which will likely power peak just below 5000, and I'll guess 330 hp(with headers and a free-flowing exhaust), and adequate take-off torque.
Ok but lets ramp it up;
If you could find a hydraulic roller with faster ramps, say 48* from advertized to .050, then this cam would be [email protected], and that's another 15hp or more, so now up to 345 hp.
But if you could find a hydraulic roller with 38* ramps, then you get a [email protected] and now yur talking maybe 360 hp. I'm still guessing, but you can see how this all plays out.
All of these have the same Ica of 62*, so the cylinder pressure remains the same, so the launch stays the same. But each one fattens up the midrange power and each has successively, more top-end power capability.
I haven't seen the 38* ramps on anything but a Solid roller cam, so don't spend time looking for it; this was just an exercise.

From the exercise I glean this;
I like the 58* Ica cuz it will not have a problem with the 2400 and 3.55s, yur good to go.
But by 62* you can see the pressure is falling, and the VP is down to 134, about the smallest I could imagine running; I wouldn't run it with a 2400, that's for sure. So for this 9.4Scr combo yur looking at a range of 62 to 58(or less for killer Rubber burning take-off)

Now it remains to be seen, if your springs will work with something in this range, and you won't know that until you actually find a suitable cam.
Happy cam hunting.

Of course you can install any cam outside this range, as in one with a bigger than 62* Ica; but you WILL need a higher stall TC, and depending on how much bigger you chose, you might need a bigger rear gear....................
So that leads us back to the 279*cam you pulled out. All it needs is a 3000/3200TC and maybe 3.91s. It's already a fast-ramp roller and already the size you need to make 370/425.... maybe even a tad more.
It could be a street terror
And the bonus is, that you already know the springs are gonna work ....... lol

And if you are able to cheaply pump up the compression a lil, that will just be icing on the cake.
Happy HotRodding

Last edited:
AJ has done a good job of walking you through the variations.

But I have to point out one thing OP. If you are really using H655CP pistons, you will not be at 9.4 SCR. I'm 98% sure you will be at 8.75 SCR...IIRC the chambers are 62 cc's on those. Those pistons are stock magnum replacement pistons, that sit .060" down in the hole and have an 11 cc dish. They are not flat tops. Is that really the plan?

DRiV Incorporated

Last edited:
Yeah I did not pay attention to it until you got seriously in to all the DCR and other numbers, and then thought it ought to be re-checked.

OP, you have a good alternative that will indeed get you to the mid-9's for Static CR. KB362's will get you into the 9.3 range. They will poke out of a nominal deck by .003" which will give a good quench gap, and the balance will be within factory balance tolerance. The small end of the stock Magnum rods will have to narrowed a bit. (Can be done working slowly on a grinder if home-shopping it... just take a bit off at a time to not overheat the material.)

H116CP's would put you at 10.1 if you used a standard Felpro head gasket (8553PT) with nominal deck height and that head gasket. BUT the weight will be waaaaay off for a Magnum crank and rods, by over 100 grams error on the bobweight; NG. These are made for an LA360.

A true flat top (KB107) would push you up to 11-ish for SCR with that chamber.

There might an Icon that will work.... but let us know where you thoughts are heading.

AJ has done a good job of walking you through the variations.

But I have to point out one thing OP. If you are really using H655CP pistons, you will not be at 9.4 SCR. I'm 98% sure you will be at 8.75 SCR...IIRC the chambers are 62 cc's on those. Those pistons are stock magnum replacement pistons, that sit .060" down in the hole and have an 11 cc dish. They are not flat tops. Is that really the plan?

DRiV Incorporated

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!! Is this fact????? It was my understanding that these are direct replacement pistons which yields the same factory compression ratio for a 2001 5.9 Magnum which is around 9.0:1. They sure look the same.
My block is still at the machine shop for .030 overbore so I cannot install the factory original or H655CP piston and measure.
My machinist does not recommend machining the deck and offered looking into piston options to bump my CR for some quench
without requiring balancing (my request). I will mention the KB362's.

AJ.....I have yet to digest your numbers however you may have misunderstood me.
I never used or had that cam. Never had any part of that mill except the heads.
My question is more about using the Comp springs and not so much about the bonus cam advice. I need my true measured
head, cylinder volume and CR before asking for that info. Was thinking if someone here was currently running something....
The target HP and TQ numbers are not set in stone but I believe are easily attainable.
Not doubting the science and I appreciate your input but what about the RAMM build? Only need post 1 and 8.
360 TrueStreet Magnum Build

Cam used was Lunati 20200715. Hydraulic Roller Cam. Great performance cam in 340+ c.i. applications. Works well with computer modifications or increased induction systems. Likes headers and 3.42+ gearing.; Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 264/270; Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/219; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .485/.485; LSA/ICL: 112/106; Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd; RPM Range: 1200-5500

Maybe I should just use that with proper springs (if mine won t work) and call it a day. My build is practically identical.

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!! Is this fact????? It was my understanding that these are direct replacement pistons which yields the same factory compression ratio for a 2001 5.9 Magnum which is around 9.0:1. They sure look the same.
My block is still at the machine shop for .030 overbore so I cannot install the factory original or H655CP piston and measure.
My machinist does not recommend machining the deck and offered looking into piston options to bump my CR for some quench
without requiring balancing (my request). I will mention the KB362's.
Yes they are the same.... but the real SCR of the Magnum is in the mid to upper 8's, not over 9. All of the published Mopar numbers are some sort of 'ideal, all-perfect parts with the smallest possible chamber that ever pooped out of the mold' kind of situation. And it is not just Mopars..... you find that in other engine family's too.

Just wanted to catch this before it got too far if the mid-9's is where you want to be.... which I am 99.999% sure IS where you want to be for the engine use described.

And Foxtrot Whiskey India Whiskey, you have your phonetic spelling down solid !!!

And the KB107s are 502grms if I recall, compared to 462? on the Magnums.
Pin + piston weights:
  • 567 + 154 = 721 grams for the H116CP's for the LA360
  • 524 + 132 = 656 grams for the KB107's
  • 469 + 135 = 604 grams is what I have for stock Magnum, which is what the H655CP's ought to be
  • 510 + 106 = 616 grams for the KB362's, but it will end up essentially lower by a few grams due to narrowing the rod small ends for these pistons
These KB362's are made for what you want, more than any other piston that readily comes to mind. Wish there was a bit less of a dish to get your SCR up a bit more.

I'll poke around some more... just to keep my mind freshened up on this matter.

-
Back