Valve spring removel tool

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
I have everything now to swap out the springs,the heads are off.So whats a good spring compressor,I want to do this myself. So whats out there,and any tips on removing the springs and installing the springs and the seals.

When we did dads heads. Im pretty sure we used a Lisle. We wasted money on Canadian tire Powerbuilt piece of junk.

Something like this.

41D8a1EOiKL._SY400_.jpeg

This one works pretty good. Lisle #16750 Set it once and pull the lever.

lisle.jpeg

I just used the cheapo auto parts store version shown above with the dial crank on top. Worked great with the engine in the car. Yellow nylon rope through the spark plug holes to keep the valves up.It naturally coils as you feed it in, rotate engine to snug the piston up to it. I don't have air, but would probably still use the rope if I did, it's just such an easy process.

Thanks Steve,i was just about to ask what it look like.I just went on line and saw the Lisle # 16750.

I grabbed this three part tool a long time ago. It has a shaft with two Allen bolts to hold the shaft down in the saddles. The handle is a two part handle.
I made this wood board to mount the head to it and then C clamp it to the work bench.
This works on the bench or in car.
IMG_0411.JPG

Do NOT buy a tool from Wal-Mart! Not when there is a good chunk of "stored energy" waiting to take an eye or tooth out.
I have a couple. The one with the red handle i'll sell. Not responsible for the damage it does. Lol

THE 1 you show looks to be the safe 1,i just watch a gut use a socket and a BFH to remove them,kind of crude but it did work.

That's the one I used since I already had it, and it worked just fine.
It might give you a callous on a couple of fingers after, but it works fine and you don't have to hold anything while taking locks out or putting them back in.
It probably took me 30 min to change all the seals springs retainers and locks with it.

I grabbed this three part tool a long time ago. It has a shaft with two Allen bolts to hold the shaft down in the saddles. The handle is a two part handle.
I made this wood board to mount the head to it and then C clamp it to the work bench.
View attachment 1714980408

That looks like either the Comp cam tool #5323 or a Proform PFM 67460. The Proform one is about $60.00 from Hughes or $80.00 thru Mancini. I've used one like that many times. If I'm removing springs on a bench I also put a small shop rag in the combustion chamber to keep the valve from opening slightly, air works great if the heads are on the car.

Nice Rob! Once I find time weld I want to make one like it.

Nice Rob! Once I find time weld I want to make one like it.

I've seen a couple of homemade versions that use the stock rocker shaft and part of a stamped steel rocker as the pivot. Pretty simple to make in reality.

That's a dandy right there. I'd have to have one like that if I changed springs more often.

Do NOT buy a tool from Wal-Mart! Not when there is a good chunk of "stored energy" waiting to take an eye or tooth out.
I have a couple. The one with the red handle i'll sell. Not responsible for the damage it does. Lol
Wal Mart sells Lisle tools. (not a made in China knock off)

That one works pretty good, until it doesn't. Mine popped of twice when changing the springs, and let me tell ya, it went flying. I used it when I did my 318 heads, and promptly went out and bought a C clamp style, they only drawback is the heads have to come off.

The one Rob posted is the cat's meow.

.......................the heads are off.So whats a good spring compressor,I want to do this myself. ...................

They are off, find a "C". IMO, Your best option.
Someone you know or someone they know got to have one in the bottom of their toolbox just waiting to be used.
Rental outfit around?
ValSpringComp.jpg

Daves69 that 1 i have used many years back,i do like it,there is a rental shop close buy.I just thought things have change and there would be something different.

I have had that one so long I don't even remember where I got it from. Though I would believe Mancini racing would be it.

As mentioned above, a rag is placed under the valves to prevent them from damage. Though unlikely, since my head work takes place on reasonably soft wood. Care is taken when compressing the valve spring. The valve often drops (slowly & softly mostly) when the spring pressure is removed.
A magnet is used to remove the locks. The magnet is on a telescoping rod commonly found at a auto parts store.

I have found this tool to be very helpful though I have not used it while the head is bolted to the block. (AKA In car)

A cheater bar could be used IF you can slip it over the black grab handle.

Another picture showing more of the handle
IMG_0410.JPG

-
Back