Valve spring removel tool

-
And this type is another C-type for faster off-the-car valve removal. Not the cheapest but you don't have to clamp the head down when working out of the car, and the large size of the parts of this one makes it easy to hold and work with you whole arms. Can't be used on-car.

The simple lever types takes some time to relocate from valve pair to valve pair, put in the rag under the chamber, and you need some clamping of the head to the bench to use them off-car. Unless you are reeeally strong, you can't hold the head down and work the lever with strong springs, and even if you could, you would not have a hand free to remove the keepers. That is why shops use the C types; speed.

Proform 66832: Heavy-Duty Manual Valve Spring Compressor | JEGS

Last edited:
I made the wood plate to make it easier.
It really wasn't needed for the Edelbrock springs. It is not mandatory. You need not be reaaaaaalllllly strong. Just a lil'lazy or have a ripped muscle like myself.
Tool relocation time is a moment or two.

Depending on your work area/bench ....
You could use the work bench itself. IF you so inclined to drill a pair of holes in the bench to fasten the head down to. Of course a smooth clean surface would be needed IF you have the real estate on the bench.

You make it all sound like negitives to be avoided.

I can see where this would not be a shop/biz tool.

No, not at all RF..... if I can use 2 negatives LOL. Just looking at it from all angles, I hope. And my delivery tends to be rather dry at times. I know I can't use the lever without the head clamped.... but I am not as strong as I used to be. (And Snake has had some health problems that might effect his strength so I figured it would be worth while to look at it that way; I hope I am not being too presumptive.) I've owned and used the lever types for a few decades, as well as the old style lever-under-the-rocker shaft ones, for the head mounted on the block as you sure can't use the C-types there.

I got one of the ones I linked and it moved through a head really fast and was fairly easy to use. You have to place the retainer end carefully centered on the valve so you can get to the keepers once it is compressed. Also, they can be bent if you are careless.

Last edited:
I am leaning towards the c clamp, just have get off my *** and get this job done,some days just no much energy,lol.

My home made compressor

tool.JPG

Check with NAPA or Auto Zone. I have narrowed/rented the C clamp version a couple of times and always works well, but it's old school stuff.

Buy a good c-clamp one and be done with it, they will work on any engine.

I have one of these also and a pair of head stands. They both work well together with the heads on the bench.

20161022_140138.jpg

how did you attach the head to the board?

The board has holes matching the cylinder heads. I used 2 boards together. The bottom board is hollow in the center allowing the head bolt clearance with a washer and nut. Local hardware store nuts, bolts and washers were used.

Last edited:
And this type is another C-type for faster off-the-car valve removal. Not the cheapest but you don't have to clamp the head down when working out of the car, and the large size of the parts of this one makes it easy to hold and work with you whole arms. Can't be used on-car.

The simple lever types takes some time to relocate from valve pair to valve pair, put in the rag under the chamber, and you need some clamping of the head to the bench to use them off-car. Unless you are reeeally strong, you can't hold the head down and work the lever with strong springs, and even if you could, you would not have a hand free to remove the keepers. That is why shops use the C types; speed.

Proform 66832: Heavy-Duty Manual Valve Spring Compressor | JEGS
That one will do anything from stock worn out 318 springs to the 948 comps on My race motor with 350+ on the seat. Love it. Very adjustable

One tip is to get a piece of plastic pipe place it over the retainer and give it a rap. Not to remove the keepers, but to break the hold the retainer and keeper has. Sometimes the stick together a bit.

-
Back