Vehicle Collisions Involving Deer

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Just heard on a TV game show that 20% of collisions in Switzerland involve deer.

bambi.jpg

if you think hitting a deer at 60 MPH is "fast food"....

Sis wiped out a Kia rental in Tx hitting a deer at 65 at night. Said it was very scary. Front end, hood, broken windscreen, blood everywhere.

Years ago, I hit a deer in my '70 Dart more door and it crumpled the left front fender and drivers door covering them with deer blood.

The next day I went to work at the small engine repair shop and found my car surrounded by cops about 2 hours later. It seems a car matching mine was involved in a pedestrian hit-and-run fatality earlier that morning and the cops were sure I was their man. It took a few hours to get it sorted out and all the while they had me cuffed and stuffed in the back of a cop car while they got verification that I was at work at the time of the incident and were able to find chunks of deer fur in the front part of the fender.

I spent the next hour washing all the blood off the car.

Out by my shop, you can hit a deer just about any time you want. My in laws have hit at least 6 deer in the past 10 years out there. I'm thinking about just buying my license and strapping a gun to the bumper, it would save me a lot of walking.

I wouldda spent the next hour at my attorney's office makin a case against the city.

Years ago, I hit a deer in my '70 Dart more door and it crumpled the left front fender and drivers door covering them with deer blood.

The next day I went to work at the small engine repair shop and found my car surrounded by cops about 2 hours later. It seems a car matching mine was involved in a pedestrian hit-and-run fatality earlier that morning and the cops were sure I was their man. It took a few hours to get it sorted out and all the while they had me cuffed and stuffed in the back of a cop car while they got verification that I was at work at the time of the incident and were able to find chunks of deer fur in the front part of the fender.

I spent the next hour washing all the blood off the car.

I wouldda spent the next hour at my attorney's office makin a case against the city.
No way to win that. I was lawfully detained during the course of an investigation and eventually released when my story was confirmed. They had probable cause to detain me and didn't formally arrest me.

No way to win that. I was lawfully detained during the course of an investigation and eventually released when my story was confirmed. They had probable cause to detain me and didn't formally arrest me.

Plenty of attorneys wouldda wiped the floor with them. It only take a few seconds to see that it was animal fur.

Plenty of attorneys wouldda wiped the floor with them. It only take a few seconds to see that it was animal fur.
You weren't there, so you can't say that with any certainty.

I was there and there was nothing they did wrong. It was also the PA State Police and they were following the book by the letter. I don't have any issue with their actions, I was just a suspect with a vehicle fitting the description with consistent damage and blood evidence and they had to go through a complete process to verify my story and make sure I wasn't the perpetrator they were after.

You weren't there, so you can't say that with any certainty.

I was there and there was nothing they did wrong. It was also the PA State Police and they were following the book by the letter. I don't have any issue with their actions, I was just a suspect with a vehicle fitting the description with consistent damage and blood evidence and they had to go through a complete process to verify my story and make sure I wasn't the perpetrator they were after.
The trick words here are, ' PROBABLE CAUSE" , will cover about everything ! No way to win against that in court.
My son hit a deer going to a dear retreat and totaled a camry a little over a yr ago. Didn`t have to fire a shot !! LOL

A friend has hit 13 deer on the highway between town and home.
Over 20 years.
He could have avoided every single one by carrying a hunting licence. Go get a deer tag,never see a deer.

I'm sure the authorities don't see it this way but I believe ' under arrest' is defined as ' being unable to proceed at your own will'. LOL
Yote

At least there is one bright side to the coyote population growing around here in the last few years: They are eating a lot of the fawns and our deer population has plummeted. The deer hunters aren't happy but dang I sure see a TON fewer deer around stupidly jumping and running in front of my truck now. You really had to be on your toes driving at night here for many years.

The deer population in this part of PA is huge. In the 1700s, the population was around 10 deer per square mile. Currently, we are around 30 deer per square mile and in some places it's pushing 50 per square mile. Since this is a mostly suburban area and there are a lots of houses and roads, it's no surprise the deer collision rates are so high. There were 133,817 deer collisions in Pennsylvania last year. The number is expected to be even higher this year.

We have a lot of those stupid animals around here. In 2008 I had two encounters with them in my 2000 Dakota, about three months apart.

The first one I hit square on at about 45 mph. It wasn't quite full grown and just bounced off and went flying, barely tweaking the front bumper.

The second one didn't quite make it in front of me at about 50 mph, briefly saw it's head by the right front corner of the truck, it messed up the entire passenger side, found some blood and fur in the bead area of the right rear tire.

Well, if you want to see deer collision mess.... see what happens when one jumps in front of a small airplane. Saw the aftermath of one that jumped in front of single-engine Piper starting its take-off run.....right through the prop and the largest 'piece' went on through the windscreen. That was messy.....

When I was a kid in Boy Scouts we were camped in an open field near a fright train rail on one of our weekend trips. In the middle of the night, a big freight train barreled into a herd of deer on the tracks. The next morning we inspected the carnage and there were what looked like the remains of a dozen deer blown into pieces no bigger than a soda can. Only the heads and legs were in bigger pieces and the amount of blood was incredible.

Every scavenger for a 5 mile radius was on it within hours. We moved our camp a few miles away to avoid them.

A buddy and I hit this buck years ago in his pick up. Zero damage to the truck. Same friend hit one two months ago going 45 and this is what it did to his focus.

I have personally hit 3 . He is up to five.

Here in Ohio you can get on a list for police departments to call you when they have a decent kill. I’ve cooked and eaten a handful of roadkill.

15527FD0-16FD-46C5-B579-483431A79329.jpeg

7079C761-E80C-46B7-902E-19F6E4B0A737.jpeg

Well, if you want to see deer collision mess.... see what happens when one jumps in front of a small airplane. Saw the aftermath of one that jumped in front of single-engine Piper starting its take-off run.....right through the prop and the largest 'piece' went on through the windscreen. That was messy.....

I can only imagine what a mess!

I have taken out many bird with helicopter rotors.

Not nearly as much fun as a donkey and a camel with an M2 though! Amazing at short range!!!!

I hit reindeer couple weeks ago. Luckylly no big damages. Car stayed drivable and damage goes on my insurance.

More dangerous animal here is moose

20171129_195040.jpg

20171130_125139.jpg

Kind of related, on Long Island there is a spit of wealthy area called North Haven, near Sag Harbor, well I grew up in the summers around there, well the deer got so bad there were daily deer hits and every house had a deer fence around it. Well a billionaire moved in hated that all his vegetarian was getting eaten even with the fence (few hundred acres so they fenced them in) Well no hunting is allowed there to top it off so he brought in two lions to take care of the issue! Guess what no exotic pets allowed there now either!

Kind of related, on Long Island there is a spit of wealthy area called North Haven, near Sag Harbor, well I grew up in the summers around there, well the deer got so bad there were daily deer hits and every house had a deer fence around it. Well a billionaire moved in hated that all his vegetarian was getting eaten even with the fence (few hundred acres so they fenced them in) Well no hunting is allowed there to top it off so he brought in two lions to take care of the issue! Guess what no exotic pets allowed there now either!

It is absolutely insane to now allow hunting in any form. Here in Cincinnati they were thinking of using poison to take care of the deer heard. There are thousands of hunters in Cincinnati that would love to go down into urban areas and harvest deer and enjoy the meat. Luckily in most urban areas in our city they draw tags for archery hunters in the parks. You have to go and shoot your bow to qualify so they know you are a good shot. Then if they draw your name the assign you to a certain area and that is where you hunt.

Totally agree. I was stationed in Westhampton at the air base and there was a c-130 that actually hit deer twice on takeoff, lucky they were at rotation to get airborne, half of a deer fell into a pool in the area. Basically ripped the front wheel door off both times.They actually had a guy on base there just to shoot the deer. Shame he had to bury them afterwards was not allowed to harvest them.

I hit reindeer couple weeks ago. Luckylly no big damages. Car stayed drivable and damage goes on my insurance.

More dangerous animal here is moose
I never thought about reindeer....! We have moose over here too but only in the northern areas.

-
Back