Vehicle moving companies

-

nucuda

Reaction score
I am planning a move from Cranbrook BC to Moncton NB in the spring . I need to ship my 67 Barracuda FB or sell it. I have heard horror stories about some car moving companies . Anyone out there have companies to recommend or stay away from? My preference is enclosed trailer over rail but costs seem to be much higher. Any feedback appreciated. Cheers Wilf

You could try Hansen,s,they,re located in Toronto Ontario,but deliver/pickup all across North America.Selling?Any pics of the 67 Cuda FB,I might be interested if it,s not a rot-box.

I just went through this, for the 5th time, getting Dad's 36 De Soto Airflow to him.

It has turned into quite a racket, and quite frankly wore me out.

As you said, the enclosed is a lot more money now. I used "Horseless Carriage" back in the late 80s when I sold my 57 Fury, and again in 99 when I bought my Hemi RR.

But now, most of these companies are just brokers, using independent haulers. If you google auto transportation, you will find a site where you can get "multiple quotes."
Once you hit that send button, you are in for a nightmare, that will last about 2 months!
They will wear you out!

If you take the lowest bid, then the driver isn't going to be excited about taking your haul. Some of the brokers bid real low, just to get the contract, but then your car can set there a long time.

I ended up raising our offer by $75, and making the broker do the same. So we went from $650 to $725, but the drivers end went from $500, to $650. See the broker keeps your deposit, then the driver gets the cash on delivery for himself. Of course the broker did this to get me off his case.

horseless and most of the other US companies dont come into Canada so hansens (train shipping) or TFX international are both good

as hemied has said there can be some horrors.

1- ask who is hauling it, is it their company or a private company hired by them? (hotshots)
2- estimated time of transport
3- is the car going to be stored outside or transfered during the journey -some haulers will pool a bunch of cars at a storage yard before they pick them up so there is a full load may sit outside for a week or two before it leaves
4-insurance. whats covered and whats not.
5-BBB check them out. there is a car hauler feedback site thats great. shocking how bad some companies are (like DAS)
6- PAPERWORK make sure you get paperwork. nothing verbal.

i sold a car a few weeks ago and he sent the hauler to pick it up. buyer found the best deal and went with it. guy showed up with "not for hire" written on the open trailer (skipping the weigh scales and running as a private trailer) brought his front chains back to the tranny crossmember and the rear chains up to the tranny crossmember thats how he secured it on a 43yr old mount. my boss and i watched this show shaking our heads. if it made it the 600 miles like that i would be shocked. i assume it tore the crossmember apart. no paperwork. guy looked like a meth head. running private he has no insurance on the car.

Had a car shipped by Hansen's last summer. Company paid, but I heard it was real expensive. First of all, they are a forwarder and they used a contractor that usually delivered new Toyota's. No train shipping here and I work for the railroad! Searail used to handle rail shipments, but they got bought by Livingstone's. Google them for a shipping quote.

Hi. A friend of mine just had a Demon shipped to Moncton from Alberta. If you like I can get you more info on which trucking company brought it down. I would also like to have a fastback parked in the garage next to my notchback, keep me in mind if you decide to sell ( but put me second in line after pettybludart ). Keep me posted if you move down, I'm only 20 minutes from Moncton. Bobby

Thanks for info everyone .If I decided to sell you can look at the car by searching my posts . Hope not to sell but things happen.
8)QWKSLVR -We will be close neighbours as the house we have a offer on is on Cartier st Shediac . Don't know how that area survived the storms but we hope no damage.

Hi. Cartier St. is only three minutes from my house. That area is high enough and far enough to not get any water damage, the only way would be if the lot was not properly sloped for drainage. I,ll keep my ears open for a car for your son. Good luck. Bobby

-
Back