Vehicle security for long road trip

-
apple air tag? if someone want the car they are going to get it. thats just the way it is.. you need to prevent the theft of opportunity. kill switch, the club anything that makes it harder to get for a regular guy who stumbles on it. being able to track it if stolen is the key.
I would put a fuse under the dash that appears to be for the radio, but is actually for the ignition. Under the seat would work also. What you want is to be able to quickly and without being obvious, replace the good fuse with a blown one. Thieves want to be in and out with the goods quickly and quietly. If the ignition is dead they likely won't waste time. Install an alarm that will arm when the door or hood are opened.
Park with the wheels turned as if to make a right turn and install a "Club". This way if they try to drag it up on a tilt deck, it does not go straight which makes it more difficult.
I think some alarm companies have tracking features.
As was stated, the serious thieves will make off with about anything. Being incognito is one way not to attract attention, but Plum Crazy is not in the "incognito" catagory, so slowing them down with deterance is what is desired. Make the bastards look for another target.
A young fellow in Saskatchewan was not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. He had a loud stereo and played it loud right up to parking in front of the house. Of course that attracted unwanted attention, and one night the stereo was stollen. Insurance asked if he had an alarm. Nope. So insurance said they would pay but he better install an alarm, which he did. A month or so later the stereo was stollen again, with the alarm. Insurance covered it again but said that was the last time. His response was to wrap fish hooks in the wiring loom. Came out one morning and a punk was sitting there with his hands under the dash, impaled on the fish hooks in both hands.
Smarter would be to turn the stereo down a few blocks from home.

You can mount the camera anywhere, dash, under dash or side of center console. It's motion activated and sends an alert to your phone. When that alert goes off you can immediately see the live video on your phone. Then it's time to take action whichever that might be

Doesn't the camera need wifi, and have it "accept" the camera ?
Thnx .

I like the pull the coil wire or rotor. ....and a gun.
Any thiefy type may be watching you open the hood and remove some part. Coil wire is real obvious and simple to make or steal another. The rotor is not as obvious but takes longer and the thief if watching will just get another. Kill switch under the dash is quick to find. A momentary switch to interupt the starter enegize wire coupled with a blown fuse under the seat may slow them down enough to get them to look elsewhere.

"2 wheel chocks 1 front tire, 1 rear tire,(minimize a rollback theft) ring camera, and disable start system. And a tracker. I would think all bases are covered as best as you can."

"Remove a tire and bring it into your room at night. Leave it on a jack stand or make a bolt to the lugs adapter like a club foot."

Geeze, do any of you people ever actually drive your cars?

I have a tracker & I have insurance.... If I want to hit the road I hit the road....
We did the two wheel chocks for rt-ft, lft-rear when parked overnight under a car cover. For restaurants, stores and overnight, we have a keyed under dash coil ground and hood lock. We also put in one of those radar sensor proximity alarms that is supposed to have a separate sensor for when someone gets close to the outside and another sensor for when someone reaches inside. The alarm is not reliable and feels like noise pollution anymore so it has dropped by the wayside. I tried unsuccessfully to find an auto alarm that notified my cell phone.

Enjoy the ride!!

We did the two wheel chocks for rt-ft, lft-rear when parked overnight under a car cover. For restaurants, stores and overnight, we have a keyed under dash coil ground and hood lock. We also put in one of those radar sensor proximity alarms that is supposed to have a separate sensor for when someone gets close to the outside and another sensor for when someone reaches inside. The alarm is not reliable and feels like noise pollution anymore so it has dropped by the wayside. I tried unsuccessfully to find an auto alarm that notified my cell phone.

Enjoy the ride!!
How about one of those door bell cameras that send a vid to your phone.

4/10 shell rigged to an electronic actuator.
Load shell with saltpeter.
There are multiple locations to mount.
Simple disarm when preparing to start the car.

Peter will just take his/her eyes and won't break the windows.
Learned that from a Nam vet, that didn't usually use saltpeter.
No one mentioned this one so I thought I would just throw it in.

Booby traps

4/10 shell rigged to an electronic actuator.
Load shell with saltpeter.
There are multiple locations to mount.
Simple disarm when preparing to start the car.

Peter will just take his/her eyes and won't break the windows.
Learned that from a Nam vet, that didn't usually use saltpeter.
No one mentioned this one so I thought I would just throw it in.

Booby traps
just a point of note here: booby traps are illegal and you can be charged in accordance with the damage brought by them-- ie involuntary manslaughter, felony battery, aggravated assault, reckless homicide.

Besides just simply chaining your hood and making sure your insurance is good, I'd suggest traveling with a friend with his own vehicle. Cabling or chaining both cars together would make it nearly impossible to steal either one without breaking the bond between them.

Besides just simply chaining your hood and making sure your insurance is good, I'd suggest traveling with a friend with his own vehicle. Cabling or chaining both cars together would make it nearly impossible to steal either one without breaking the bond between them.
With the cordless tools out there today, they can make short work of chains. You would need high tensile steel that is difficult to grind through.
The neighbors do not stop at a stop sign at the intersection across from me. When the parents blow through at 20 to 30MPH, not much chance of getting their wanker kids to stop. They have blasted through so fast they have almost ended up in the ditch on their door handles whether gravel or snow and ice. One almost hit another neighbor driving straight through. I have talked to the parents, the police and the county. A while back they cut the signpost off just above the snow. Now the snow is mostly melted and the ground just thinking of thawing. This morning the sign is at about a 30° angle from vertical. The county installed a new sign a month ago. Looks like they tried to pull the post out of the frozen ground. Too bad a load of rock salt in the 410 is no longer legal.
I did think about a potatoe gun with a condom filled with pig manure. Want to act like a ********, might as well look and smell like one, but then I would be the bad guy. Darn tempting though!

^^^

exactly this. if somebody wants it they are going to get it. end of.

i'd wager a guess most vintage car thefts are opportunistic, so really all you're trying to do is dissuade a thief and send them looking for an easier target.

your ride is more likely to get boosted around town where they've monitored your comings and goings and have time to plan. on the road, they're afforded no opportunity.

for a professional who's well prepared and well appointed, most all of that stuff is just a nuisance. they're not messing around trying to start a car, they're coming with a truck.

That is when an alarm that blasts when the car moves, wheel boots, driving into parking between two other vehicles and turning and locking the front wheels as if to turn right. This makes getting it loaded straight and quickly difficult. Even the serious rectums like clean and easy, so anything that complicates and draws attention will dissuade them. For the real serious rectums anything used to deter the less serious is just a minor challenge.

Airbnb is the way to go and is very comparable price wise and in many cases cheaper than ñame brand hotels. Many places I've stayed at the owner is on the premises or close by. I'd also express your security concerns to the hosts about your vehicle. Every host we've ever dealt with has been very accommodating. Hope you have a great trip!

-
Back