Vicous Fan

-
Sounds good, I'll call the parts guys and see what they can do, from the website Hayden is 4 Seasons so NAPA should be able to get me what I need.

Rod: I've read about the mopar one not fitting for some guys too. I;ll check Crosstown though if the parts guys can't get me a Hayden one. I'm trying to be cheap because my fan is an original and in good shape.

NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can get Hayden you name it I called em'.

Only one Performance shop has even heard of them and would order it at $95 bucks and 2 - 3 week wait.

I can't even look at a Mopar performance one unless I pay for it at $160 because its special order.

Does anyone know the application for the 2765 clutch? Its probably the easiest way right now.

Well after a few hours of internet and driving to various parts places I found someone who sells Hayden which sadly enough is Canadian Tire I dont normally shop there. They had the 2747 which is a factory replacement for my car but its a no go too long.

From there I found the application for the Jag 2765 and NAPA had it in stock. Theres an inked number on the front too. 2765 -imagine that-

It fits good with about 1" 1/2 of room compared to the old ones 1/4"

The bolts suck to get in though with so short of a shaft.

You'll be just fine,mines that close also no problems whatsoever 3+ years,and hard launching is all this car knows...

From there I found the application for the Jag 2765 and NAPA had it in stock. Theres an inked number on the front too. 2765 -imagine that-

It fits good with about 1" 1/2 of room compared to the old ones 1/4"

The bolts suck to get in though with so short of a shaft.

71Duster - do you know the measurement of the 2765 from the fan mounting surface to the front of the clutch fins? I'm looking for a new clutch too and have a 4-core 22" radiator and it is pretty tight. I just need that last measurement that the Hayden's catalog doesn't list to figure it out.

Thanks! Doug

I bought the Mopar kit from Summit. It has about 1/2 to 3/4" of clearance from the radiator. This along with my homemade shroud I haven't had any cooling problems at all. It works great for me. Jeff

71Duster - do you know the measurement of the 2765 from the fan mounting surface to the front of the clutch fins? I'm looking for a new clutch too and have a 4-core 22" radiator and it is pretty tight. I just need that last measurement that the Hayden's catalog doesn't list to figure it out.

Thanks! Doug

I answered my own question. I called Hayden and asked them for the overall measurement of 2765 and they said 2.67" (snout to clutch.)

socal 65dartgt...how did ya fit a clutch fan in your 65?
I have a 65 valiant and 3 core rad and the fan is about 1 inch away from the rad if not that...
I also dont see many early a's w/ a clutch fan...is yours a v8>?

Just my .02, before everyone suggests fan clutchs one thing has to be considered:

What fan are you running?

I used the 2708 fan clutch on my SB cuda with an 18" Autozone fan which is made by Hayden (so says the box in the fine print). If you use a different fan blade it effects the clutch choice as their pitch / offset is COMPLETELY different. My old mopar one was way different than my autozone one so I needed a different clutch. I would of used my mopar blade but I accidently stepped on it and bent it. FYI Factory AC Mopar blades are all over ebay under $20.

I am also running a C body 26" radiator and a 18" fan (almost could of ran a 19" but the shroud offset was a problem). I needed to get my fan blade closer to the rad so the blades were 1/2" of the way in, 2708 worked for my custom application.

Per Hayden online catalog:

2705 fan blade mount to pump 1.53"
2706 1.75"
2707 2.03"
2708 2.32"

I had to use the 2708 with a spacer to fine tune things. I got a spacer pack from Jegs. I had to use the 1/2" one and its really a little too close. The hub of the fan clutch scrapes when going on to the point I pull on the radiator to flex it a little during install. Once its on its 1/2" clearance. The blades are perfectly centered in the middle of the shroud.

So you must determine the blade you are running, the depth in the shroud you want it to be, and measure that to the pump front and do some math and go from there.

ALSO

Autozone clutch "Torque something" is made in China. I looked at it and the casting was thick and sloppy. As far as 71 demon? not being able to find Hayden, that is weird as I got the exact USA made Hayden brand at O-Reilly's for 2 or 4 bucks more than autozone and it was much nicer than the China made Autozone. I also think autozone puts a 93 before the hayden Pn# for their versions but do check.

another guy I know on moparts had this to add to an old thread on this subject (I kept it), he said the following:

"Now ya all need to know the total height of each of these. By total height I mean from where the fan clutch bolts to the water pump to the opposite end, or tip. This is typically called how "tall".

2705 is 3.09" tall.

2706 through 2708 are 3.61" tall.

The Jag 2765 is 2.61" tall. (It actually is closer to 2.75" tall [my measurement] because of the thermal coil tip at the face of the fan clutch.)

These are all thermal fan clutches. Hayen 1705 is 3.09" tall and is a non thermal fan clutch. It fits like it was made by Ma Mopar.

The 2705 through 2708 are excellent fit, as if they were made by Ma Mopar. The Jag 2765 comes with a bushing and has a decent fit. It works, but it leaves a little bit to be desired. People run the Jag clutch with success.

All measurements are from Hayden. All numbers are Hayden part numbers. Some auto store brands use the Hayden part numbers, some don't. But...all of the Hayden part numbers should cross over to any other brand."

and that is what that guy said.

Take it easy
Sean

use the jag clutch
I did and its makes me feel a lot easier the other one was just to close to my new radiator
mike

Well back to an old post, not sure if its related or not, but with the new 340 the car runs hotter then before -and the Jag fan clutch and mopar fan-

It's nothing to see even 200 on the highway and 210 stuck in traffic. All this with an 8 blade water pump and 160deg t-stat.

I read a bunch of posts and got a MR.Gasket t-stat and went back to 180deg like I had before and no dice. I also had the rad checked and cleaned still the same.

I am going to have a new core put in the rad at worst case as it has bigger tubes and the rad shop did one for a guy with a 440 who loves it, but at 300 bucks is this just the new engine runnning hotter or the fan clutch?

Well back to an old post, not sure if its related or not, but with the new 340 the car runs hotter then before -and the Jag fan clutch and mopar fan-

It's nothing to see even 200 on the highway and 210 stuck in traffic. All this with an 8 blade water pump and 160deg t-stat.

I read a bunch of posts and got a MR.Gasket t-stat and went back to 180deg like I had before and no dice. I also had the rad checked and cleaned still the same.

I am going to have a new core put in the rad at worst case as it has bigger tubes and the rad shop did one for a guy with a 440 who loves it, but at 300 bucks is this just the new engine runnning hotter or the fan clutch?

I used the Hayden 2765 with a 3618 blade on my big block and it actually runs a bit cooler than it did with a standard fan blade. I had clearance issues and had to use the short shaft. The clutch sits within 1/2 " of the radiator but the fan blade sits back an additional inch. In your case I would try to get your fan a little closer to the radiator ,(try a spacer or longer clutch shaft), make sure your blade is pitched correctly ,and use a fan shroud to help direct the air over your engine. It does sound as if your radiator is a bit inefficient since highway driving is still yielding temps of 200* (reasonable here in Va. but in Canada?). If you`ve had the radiator rodded and you`re still experiencing problems then perhaps a recore is in your future. Good luck, hope it`s something simple.

It's been hot here 32deg celcius which is around 90.

With a 180deg t-stat and swapping back to the old fan clutch which runs 1/2 or so from the rad the car runs 190 on the highway and around town up to 200 at a red light. I'll try a 160deg t-stat again and see before I get too bothered with the rad but the extra inch that the jag fan gave me make a big difference in cooling efficency.

The 160 * thermostat really won`t do anything about run temperature, only open earlier. Once everything is at operating temperature I doubt you`ll see any difference unless there`s a change in coolant flow. Your temperatures really don`t sound bad for those ambient temperatures and engines that run on the warmer side have less wear on their metal parts. It sounds like you should be okay.

-
Back