video of my charging gauge...whats it doing?

-

tarvin890

tarvin890
Reaction score
the man i bought the car from said a diode or something was done to the charging system.. anyone know what this is? ok so i dont know how to upload an mp4 short 10 sec video...... so guess i better explain... it pulses back and forth like a heartbeat between 14-16 on the gauge...

Your video seems to be imaginary LOL. Put a voltmeter on the battery. With the battery "up and normal" and warm, read battery voltage with all loads off, lights, heater, running at an RPM to simulate "low to medium cruise"

Then turn on lights and heater and re-check.

Should not be below 13.5 nor above 14.5. Optimum is 13.8--14.2.

One or more OPEN diodes will cause reduced charging and noise in radio.

One or more SHORTED diodes will cause reduced charging, noticeable alternator whine and SERIOUS LOL noise in radio

it charges well not over or under no whines... just a nice steady pulse from 14 to 16 justa lika hearta beat... i cant figure out how to upload a video.... photos only... or does it have to do with member staus...

"You" he sing -- songs are --- going -- to have---to tell us what you -------are ------working on-----so we don't have to guess............................

Some causes of this in no order

If you have the 69 / earlier mechanical voltage regulator, it is suspect

So called "loops" which can be difficult to run down This can be in either the ground or the hot side of the harness

"Voltage drop" in either the ground circuit or the hot side

aftermarket gauge and 1970 dart 400 msd system 6al. i wish i could upload the video the owner of the car said a shop had added a diode or something to make it charge that way.... i video would be worth a 1000 words right now... lol i do appreciate the input. i am not having any problems from it... the system works fine... ive just never seen a gauge do a pulse like that.. and have no idea what the shop he used has done to make it bounce a rythm on the gauge

Well, heh. No it wasn't. easy. I don't "do" phacePhlant and in any case the link does not work.

70. No diode should be added, the idea is to figure out what is wrong with it

You have a voltmeter? Make some simple tests.

FIRST Check grounds or better, replace and add some. You need a good ground from the battery to the block which runs the starter. This is the largest cable. Additionally, the body should be bonded to the battery neg. This is often a jumper from the main neg. post clamp to the fender, and is NOT adequate

Put larger grounds from block to body if there are none.

Then, dismount the regulator, clean the firewall and VR mounting flange and remount TIGHT with star lock washers.

Now, make some voltage checks

Identify your ignition 12V source voltage which is going to depend on the type of ignition. With a 4 terminal ballast resistor this is a bit more difficult. You want the 12V switched wire "from the key." One you can for sure use is the blue field wire on the battery. Measure this with key in "run" but engine stopped. This should be within .3V of the battery. That's 3 tenths of one volt.

Now, check ground. Run engine at good fast idle. Put one probe on the battery neg. post, and the other stab into the mounting flange of the voltage regulator. Once more, you are hoping for LESS than .3V

Another thing you can try, is make a means (using flat spade "push on connectors") to "tee" into the blue field wire connection. With the car running, jumper this connection to the battery. See if the pulsing stops

If none of the above fixes it, try a different regulator.

will do.. thanks... the PO had said this was normal operation , i didnt belive him... thought maybe it was tech i had not heard of...

There are at least some of these cars troubled by that problem, but a properly operating system should not do that. I've never heard of adding a diode?? to cure it

There are at least some of these cars troubled by that problem, but a properly operating system should not do that. I've never heard of adding a diode?? to cure it

I cant see how adding a diode will help anything. Like said above, CLEAN good grounds are critical. Corrosion under fasteners are suspect. MT:burnout:

I cant see how adding a diode will help anything. Like said above, CLEAN good grounds are critical. Corrosion under fasteners are suspect. MT:burnout:

got it!!! will work on those things.... everything the PO told me about this car has been a lie... sooooo this was too...lol thanks everyone!

Sort of like this even though this is the Ammeter on my car:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUG7xYJIu0Y"]1974 Plymouth pulsating lights - YouTube[/ame]

I found that spending an afternoon going over all the grounds including battery to engine, battery to body, under the regulator and making sure the ground strap between the engine and body(not the negative cable) was in place essentially cured all these weird issues.

Good video and explanation of the cure, Tyler. Love the highly technical term of 'spastic' LOL

how the heck did you upload a video? thanks i will look at that also.. my lights are steady and strong though... thanks again

-
Back