Vin question

-

jwilson13b

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a question for you guys. I have two 73 dusters. One in really good condition, but it is a 318 column shifter, 50/50 bench, little rear end and maybe a 904 havnt really checked that one. The other duster is a H code car. buckets center console slap shifter, has the bullet mirrors. but the body is shot, and I mean Shot bad. So my question is, 1: is it illegal to restore the H code useing the other cars body, switching vins and then useing almost everything from the H code; Is it ethical ? 2: if it is ok, should I ? 3: where are all the vins ? What do i do with the roted body and what do i do with the paper work for the other car that the body has been used

I would be thankful to all your opionions,

Thanks

thats the big question these days. whats the difference in using new sheet meal to restoring the H code car vrs using the better body? Personally I don't have a problem saving a rare car by means of rebody but a lot of guys do so it's really up to you. I also could for the most part care less what a car was originally as I will built them how I want.

I think the VIN question is best asked of your local BMV or state police. The VIN plate can be changed but then the body stamped VINs would not match.

One problem is that changing VIN plates is a Federal felony. And how would you feel if you paid big $s for a Hemi Cuda Conv. only to find out that it started life as a /6-3 on the tree Barracuda.
Of course, I knew a guy that inherited his older brothers 69 396/375 4 sp SS Chevelle. It lived its whole life on the beach and even the roof bows were rusting.
He threw another body on the frame, installed the complete original interior in the new body and went a step further and welded in the complete firewall and the under dash assembly from the old body. That way if anybody looked at the VIN plate and Trim Tag, they would see that they had never been taken off.

The only problem out side of what yellowdartdave said would be if you are going to sell the car at any point, then there has to be full disclosure. You should at least inquire about it at the DMV just to keep things legal. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few of those crate camaros out there with some other cars vin. In the end it's your car, go with what makes you happy.

The only problem out side of what yellowdartdave said would be if you are going to sell the car at any point, then there has to be full disclosure. You should at least inquire about it at the DMV just to keep things legal. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few of those crate camaros out there with some other cars vin. In the end it's your car, go with what makes you happy.
Well said HOMECLONED! The members of this website make it the best one that I've ever been a member of. Thanks FABO.

God created strippers in large numbers so some of them could survive and provide parts to restore the desirable models. If I were looking at your car to purchase, you would get more cash and respect if I heard "Yeah, it was really rusted out bad but I cut out all the rust and replaced it with good metal cut from a donor". Tell me you switched the VINs and I would walk away wondering what other shortcuts you took. Besides, no switchee, no legal problems.

So what if some where after all these years you find that his original H code car was hammered in the front end and Some body shop had completely cut his car in half and added a whole new front clip from lets say under the drivers seat forward? If he finds this out should he junk it because it's not a "virgin"? At what point do you call it adding sheet metal and a total rebody?

If you put (insert hot models name) head on fat Roseanne's body is it still the hot model?

Swapping numbers isn't saving a car, it's saving a set of numbers, nothing more. Not to mention it can get you into trouble.

I know of two H code Demons that are clipped. Front half is one car, rear is another. They got smashed hard back in the day and that's how it was fixed. Are they virgin, NOPE!

The repairing cars, clipping, is a different situation to me than wilfully removing numbers from one body and attaching them to another. The only reason to swap number is $ in the long run.

Thanks to all who replied. I see there are a lot of mixed opinions on this one.
I'm gonna see what the DMV says first. I do not plan on selling the cars or car, but I'm only 28 and times are ruff and will get ruff again maybe several times in my life so I wont say I won't ever sell it. I would not want to cheat anyone out of what they think is a H code car. Im gonna strip the rusty one down and see what im really dealing with. and maybe take a welding class or two

I might turn the 318 car into a cruiser/ play down at the strip car, do a simi restro on it and rebuild the H code from the ground up. I'm screwed either way can't even enter either car in hot augast nights here in reno cuz of it being a 73. Those bastards!!!!

One can never have to many mopars, Just have to sell the little lady on it, lol Thanks again

What are you going to do about the vin number on the trunk lip? I say build the 318 car any way you want it, but you're only fooling yourself and others by changing the tags. You can't dress up your brother in your sisters clothes and call him your sister!!! JMO, Geof

Swapping vin's and body numbers is fraud. Plain and simple. Won't sell it? Someone will even if it's not you, it will be in your estate when you pass on.
Just my 2 cents.
Tom.

-
Back