vin rivets

-

yellowdart72

Reaction score
anyone know where I can get new rivets to attach my vin number to the dash frame.

I have a replacement dash frame for my 72 swinger to replace where someone hacked it up for a some freaky deaky stereo set-up from the 80's. I would like to make it look all original but the original dash frame is beyond repair so how do I get my vin tag on the replacement frame. Is there a company who makes that type of rivet.

As of now the vin tag is still on the hacked frame and in the car still.

I have seen ads in Mopar magazines. I'll look around. tmm

Yeah, but there like $40 for the pair of "flower head" rivits!! Waay too much IMO!! I would just pop them on with regular rivits if it were mine! Geof

Yeah, but there like $40 for the pair of "flower head" rivits!! Waay too much IMO!! I would just pop them on with regular rivits if it were mine! Geof

Bad idea. If the car goes through inspection they will know those are incorrect and you will end up with big problem. I had a friend with a 71 Cuda 383 vert, took t through inspection and it had the wrong rivets. The car was impounded till they proved it wasnt stolen, he then got it back minus the factory vin tag with a state issued tag on the door jam. Killed the value of the car.

You'll need to weigh the 40 bucks against the time and effort required to reproduce them by hand. That's what was done in the past. If my memory serves, A 6mm socket was somehow used.

Inspection??? Who would be inspecting it and for what purpose? I live in Michigan and we have no inspections for anything old car related! Heck, we sold a car to a person in Canada and my brother was held up at the border for over 2 hours because the "inspector" didnt understand that an old car VIN only had 11 characters instead of the 14 she was used to seeing, and this was at an international border crossing!! I highly doubt any inspector around here would be knowledgeable to know what rivits hold on the dash tag!! Other states may vary, but here in the mitten, once its registered in your name, your only possible inspection would be a police officer pulling you over for an infraction, and I highly doubt there are many, if any, Mopar saavy policemen who would question a dash rivit, especially with the proper paperwork, which I believe the OP would have!!

Just because you dont have an inspection doesnt mean other states dont. You may get away with it but is it worth the hassle to save $60 ?

In CT when you register a car from out of state you have to go to the DMV and have the vin verified. If I paid good money for a car and found out after the previous owner cheeped out on a few rivets which ended up in being a big pain in the *** for me I would be ripping pissed.

they can be had for much less then $60 a set just google rosette rivets well worth the money to do it right and not have the car devalued or questioned later

The VIN rivets on my 67 parts car (door jam) look like regular stainless steel rivets. Nothing special about the shape of the rivet head.

Are 67's also flower shaped?

Edit: Looking at that last link... "1968-1974 All vehicles - NOS rivets!" So maybe 67s are just plain pop rivets.

not 100% sure but I think 67's are standard rivets

67 are also rosette rivets. they are stainless in color 68 up are black in color. The 68-up rivets can be used in a 67 and earlier but need to have the black paint removed from them to be correct.
If yours are not rosette style they have been replaced.

The VIN rivets on my 67 parts car (door jam) look like regular stainless steel rivets. Nothing special about the shape of the rivet head.

Edit: Looking at that last link... "1968-1974 All vehicles - NOS rivets!" So maybe 67s are just plain pop rivets.

Well, it looks like 67s had the pentarivets. Either the ones in my 67 parts car were replaced or ??? (bad eyes?)

[ame]http://www.mmcdetroit.com/Certicards/1966%2067%20Certicard%20Decode%20examples%203%208%202013.pdf[/ame]

-
Back