Vintage go kart with a snowmobile engine

-
Go the recommended ratio for oil. 20:1 will lean out the air/fuel ratio .

That is freakin bad AZZ!

We had a 70's three wheeler (sat in it with tiny tire up front) with a 440cc twin two stroke in it, death vessel, but fun!

Personally I would pull the motor and stuff a CR125 or CR250 motor in it. Sell the Harley motor to some collector who can get parts for it and not run it much. If you really want to run that motor, make sure the cases are sealed good or it will go lean and hole a piston.

If you get it runnin, post a video would love to see it!!

I have a neighbor with an old go-kart like that with a 25 hp Briggs engine. He tears around the loop street of the neighborhood occasionally. He has a roll cage and outrigger bars with scuff pads front and rear to help keep it from flipping. I will try to get some pics next time he buzzes around.

The outriggers look kinda like this, but made from tube steel and proportioned for the kart. It about doubles the width of the kart.

291FD7BD-F840-4EB2-B358-F22C9CBFF5B3.jpeg

Buddy had a go cart similar.
Used the snowmobile steering and solid rear axle. Retained the clutch setup like yours.as well as the jackshaft/ chaincase. It was a single cyl 340 jlo. Was faster than a big block trans am right to 70 mph. At that speed on the highway you couldnt stay in one lane.
It was hairy!! Oh, the good old days, how i miss them. We broke it offen, but never rolled it. The little tires helped. Smoked the tires and burned donuts like crazy.

how about a blow out at 180 in a cart? (although I doubt that...any pilots here? watch the runway stripes) Maybe 111mph from 180 km/h?

how about a blow out at 180 in a cart? (although I doubt that...any pilots here? watch the runway stripes) Maybe 111mph from 180 km/h?

Like I said previously......open cockpit at anything (go cart) over 20 MPH is something for which you should always have GOOD health insurance!!

A friends dad put a 8 horse and a flying disc transmission off a Snapper lawn more on a cart. It would do about 75 in high gear. Dad locked out 3rd, 4th, and 5th though. It was cool though because it had neutral and reverse.

I have a Mitox 125 shifter kart and have spun that thing at over 80 with no ill effects. The racing karts are actually kinda hard to put on their lids unless you tangle tires with another one. Ran ProKarts for a couple of years and hardly saw anyone go over.

I have a Mitox 125 shifter kart and have spun that thing at over 80 with no ill effects. The racing karts are actually kinda hard to put on their lids unless you tangle tires with another one. Ran ProKarts for a couple of years and hardly saw anyone go over.

Me and my brothers ran a Rupp Sprint cart with a Mac 10 twin carb on alcohol. We never saw a cart flip in all the racing we did in 3 years. Our cart would top 80 on the straights and do it in a hurry. It was a blast.

Be safe with that one.

Seriously though........I wouldn't let my kids drive it. The one I built had a cage (flimsy one but still). The cage won't keep your arms and legs or head from getting out during a roll over. Even with a seat belt your arms will still get knocked loose and will get broken if you're not careful. Have fun but be safe!!
Unless u use wrist straps like the honda pilot had .

I had a gokart at 12yrs old. I delivered newspapers with it until I burned up the 2 stroke. A neighbor asked me what happened to the gokart, told him motor quit. He gave me a large 18hp motor from a brick lift. It was fast as hell, smoked the tires for 50ft. Then my younger brother crashed into a guardrail and broke his leg. No more gokart, parents got rid of it.

Last edited:
Just say NO to seat belts! If things get nutz you want to be thrown clear :rofl:. I cart wheeled my sprint kart down a tire wall at the local club track. I went 1 way, kart went the other. It was a practice day. I get up, dust myself off, not noticing my elbow was fractured. My racin buddy is standing next to the fence applauding, "Can you do that again? I missed the first part" :rofl:. If that drive system is like a Salsbury, the faster you go, the faster you go. The driven end will decrease in size towards Direct Drive and the clutch end will increase in size. Looks like it has a pretty good gear reduction in the chain. A couple of March Meets ago we parked in the parking lot, start heading to the ticket booth, out of the corner of my eye I see a kart with what looks like a 4cyl motorcycle engine on it, probly in the 1000cc range. "Oh boy, that looks like trouble." I did race with a fellow that had twin 135cc 2 strokes, direct drive push start, or start one while the kart was on a stand and kick it off the stand. Thing was WILD. About 35hp on 2 little 8" wide tires and about 360 lbs total. Then there are the QRC guys running CR 500s on dirt, mini Sprint Cars, wheelies included. Go Karts is TOO MUCH FUN!

-
Back