Vinyl Roof Replacement

-
First of all, thanks for putting the vinyl top back on and not falling for the paint it folks. 8)

I think a black vinly top looks awesome, and really breaks up a car.

Nice work by the shop !

faucet pics 751.jpg

It looks great. I cannot wait to do that with my car. I was originally going to just paint it, but now I like the idea of the vinyl better

First of all, thanks for putting the vinyl top back on and not falling for the paint it folks. 8)

Nice work by the shop !

Amen to that; to me the vinyl top is such a representative piece of the car's era of production (and design ideas of those days) that to do away with it removes part of the car's connection with its history. I know they're impractical, they draw moisture, etc., but they look cool and hopefully the way it was done this time on mine will last for quite some time.
I love the way yours looks with the dog dishes and wheels.

I replaced the vinyl top on mine instead of painting the car, but what do I know. I put the side trim back on too.

IMG_0572.jpg

What a pain in the a$$! Between the body work, prep, install and parts (new drip rail trim, windshied seal, etc) I've got about $1000.00 in it!!!

I didn't want to spend the money for paint, and I bought the car because its like the one I had when I was 16, which also had a vinyl top.

Does anyone know what the point of a vinyl top was supposed to be? Was it supposed to look like a convertible top? Did it actually fool anyone?

Was it just to give the rust someplace to hide?

The Darts look OK with it I guess. There's a guy here with a yellow '69 SS Camaro with a white vinyl top. He says its original. It looks like ***!

Steve

LX guy I do not know about the reasoning behind the vinyl top either
But I do like your car and it looks good

LX, yours looks good; nice, clean lines and great color.
I think it was to simulate the convertible look, but who knows for sure? Remember the half vinyls on the Dusters? Who thought that was appropriate? Were they saving materials by only doing half the roof? Nothing against the Dusters or the look, it's just kind of funny years later to look back on it. I had a buddy in High School who used to take his girlfriend up on the roof of her father's New Yorker with the Landau padded top and make out with her. He wasn't the father's favorite choice for a boyfriend for the daughter, and my friend did it for spite. Amazing how the 17 year old mind works.
My Money Pit of a Dart is out of the body shop and is @ the roof install shop, and I'm told I should have it back by Friday or Saturday with both the new headliner and vinyl roof installed. I'll post some new photos when I get it home.

Nice work by the shop !

I agree, I think it brakes it up some just like blacked out hood inserts and rocker panels. Mine is getting her's back on.

Thanks guys. I like it quite a lot.

Hopefully, the recession will start to chill out soon and I'll get to keep it....LOL!

Steve

Nice work by the shop !

what if the vinyl top was a flowery desine lol. i'm still unset on the way im going on my top.

mod-material-barracuda-200.jpg

oops sorry about that, we would paint it up to the top of the windows. they also would tell us to put a vinyl top over pin holes in the roof. the holes usualy were just above the front post and sometimes across the top of the back window. Also the holes were cuased by dirt (sand type) that would get into the die.usually dust from the overhead crane that carried things about 90 feet up, over top the presses. at the end of the line, they would not wait for the paint to dry to glue the top. took too long. so they did not paint it. thats the way it was. top in great shape considering that. :)

My top was long gone when I got the Dart, but I'm leaning toward a vinyl top lately.

However , my seams are really cracking out and I'm wondering what they used for seam filler on yours. I have been told to not use bondo, but never heard what to use.

Looking great, 'bout got me convinced.

Grind all the old stuff out, weld the seem solid and fill it with some Evercoat metal to metal.

UPDATE 06/14/2009:
Should be able to pick up the finished product mid-week June 14-20.
The vinyl roof is installed and the headliner is going in either Monday or Tuesday. I'll post some new photos of the final outcome & look when I get it back.

I love the "behind the scene" stories of what actually went on during the manufacturing process.
oops sorry about that, we would paint it up to the top of the windows. they also would tell us to put a vinyl top over pin holes in the roof. the holes usualy were just above the front post and sometimes across the top of the back window. Also the holes were cuased by dirt (sand type) that would get into the die.usually dust from the overhead crane that carried things about 90 feet up, over top the presses. at the end of the line, they would not wait for the paint to dry to glue the top. took too long. so they did not paint it. thats the way it was. top in great shape considering that. :)

Well, it's finally home. Picked it up yesterday, and spent today cleaning and detailing it. I think the guys did a great job on both the metal work and vinyl/headliner installation. Nice to know the rust is all dealt with and stopped in its tracks by the POR15,

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Last two shots.
I have to put in a shameless plug for the guys who did the work:
Kudos to George Ross of ROSS' RESTORATIONS, Spring Hill, TN., and Ryan Barrett of HOOLIGAN UPHOLSTERY, Arrington, TN.
Doing these jobs was outside my expertise and George and Ryan did a great job of dealing with the rust issues which affected this project.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Looks really good...best thing is, you know it was repaired correctly and will last for a long time.

Looks great, hope I can get mine done to look like that!

Trim looks nice too, nice job detailing.

It looks awesome man. Glad they did a good job for you

-
Back