Vinyl Top Over Drip Rail?

-

Six Barrel Bill

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Starting to finish up the vinyl top install on my daughter's '71 Demon. First time I've ever tried this, good thing I had a couple good old guys to help out.

During disassembly, we removed the drip rail moldings and could see where the original vinyl top was folded down over it.

When I watched the Legendary Auto Interior video on a Charger installation, they didn't fold it over the drip rail, instead they cut the material even with the top of the drip rail.

So for those of you with more experience than I have, does it make a difference to fold it over rather than cut it off? Doesn't really seem like you'd fold it over the drip rail to help hold it on? I would think the glue would be enough.Seems like either way you do it, putting the drip rail moldings back on might be a little tough.

Original pic:
IMG_20190626_195001.jpg

Where I'm at now:
PXL_20221016_230727094.jpg

I think I would fold it over like the factory did. That molding will certainly help hold it in place, won't it?

From what I understand, there was a different part number molding for use with the vinyl top. This would be wider to accommodate the folded over material. So if you did not fold it over your molding may not fit tight or not stay on at all.

From what I understand, there was a different part number molding for use with the vinyl top. This would be wider to accommodate the folded over material. So if you did not fold it over your molding may not fit tight or not stay on at all.
I think that's right. Seems like I've read about it before now that you mention it.

Thanks for all the quick responses guys. I had no idea there would be a different molding for a vinyl top versus non. I will fold it over. Thanks again.

I put a vinyl top on my Duster, it wasn't an original vinyl top car. I used the trim that came with it. I used a v shape piece of metal to spread the top of chrome to make it a little wider at the top , left vinyl over side of drip rail, bottom of chrome then snapped under rail with no problem.Just my 2 cents worth, may be wrong but worked for me.

Never have I heard of a different molding for a vinyl top, the drip rail molding was all the same! Try and find a different part number in the factory parts manual, you won't...

Never have I heard of a different molding for a vinyl top, the drip rail molding was all the same! Try and find a different part number in the factory parts manual, you won't...
Jim, I just looked in the 70 FPM and it shows different part numbers for roof side drain trough moldings with V-top and w/o V-top.
1970 Dart. 2-dr H/T
2783020-1 w/o V-top
2840982-3 with V-top
One of them has a purple tint on the inside but I can't remember which is which.

B body painted roof vs vinyl the drip rail trim is a different width... I imagine A body is no different. I have the measurements somewhere that I took between my Bee and Bird's trim.

Drip rail molding is a different width for vinyl then non vinyl. Vinyl top trim is wider. Identified by green marker line on the backside of the trim for vinyl.

DSCN0396.JPG

DSCN0381.JPG

DSCN0382 (2).JPG

A friend added a vinyl top to a non vinyl top Charger.Tried and tried to install the drip rail over the vinyl but it was just not possible..now i know why. Good post!

Jim, I just looked in the 70 FPM and it shows different part numbers for roof side drain trough moldings with V-top and w/o V-top.
1970 Dart. 2-dr H/T
2783020-1 w/o V-top
2840982-3 with V-top
One of them has a purple tint on the inside but I can't remember which is which.
I will have to check that again, it was the 67 parts manual I was looking at, figured it would be the same as the later ones...

-
Back